Life with a panel van

rupert123

Mel B - 2012-09-27 7:45 PM

There was a La Strada 'monocock van' at the Lincoln show - can't remember who was selling it though! I had a shuftie but it wasn't my cup of tea. What I did notice though is how much the exterior juts out compared to a 'standard' PVC conversion, so even though it was mimicking a PVC, it was actually as wide as some coachbuilt motorhomes.

I think that a PVC owes more to the original VW Classics than anything else; VDub at heart

cheers

alan b

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mel B - 2012-09-27 7:45 PM

There was a La Strada 'monocock van' at the Lincoln show - can't remember who was selling it though! I had a shuftie but it wasn't my cup of tea. What I did notice though is how much the exterior juts out compared to a 'standard' PVC conversion, so even though it was mimicking a PVC, it was actually as wide as some coachbuilt motorhomes.

I think that a PVC owes more to the original VW Classics than anything else; VDub at heart

cheers

alan b

Last time I properly looked the La Strada Novas were about as wide as your average X250 PVC, it's just that the merc cab is skinny. Things might have moved on and I may well be wrong but in any event it's the concept I was advocating rather than that specific model (though I do really like them). I liked the original H*mer Exis too for the same reason - pity it was only FWD.

Judge mentions demountables. Also a brilliant concept which deserves much more popularity than it currently enjoys in the UK: so many advantages. Apart from no means of access between cab and box they have a great deal to commend them. I lived with one for a few weeks in Canada and am sold on the concept.

Crinkly - I must admit I too like the original Hymer Exsis - there was one at one of the recent shows we went to (2008 I think?) and we had a good shuftie at it - if they'd done away with the upper bed (no way would I be able to get in and out of it) and raised the floor to create more storage, or made storage in the roof section instead, we'd have been very interested I think.

• 1 year later...
rupert123 - 2012-09-21 4:42 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-09-21 12:59 PM

Don't really see how H can say width makes little difference. Our CB was 2300 wide, Adria 2025

Now that is 270 mm difference.. Or 11 inches in old money

Our differance between our last CB, a Swift Sundance, and our PVC, an Autosleeper Stratford, is 6 inches, mirrors folded. On rare occasions this would make a differance but mostly not, all I am saying not, for me, a reason in itself to change.

And with the mirrors extended for driving the difference is?

Colin Leake - 2014-05-24 10:59 PM

rupert123 - 2012-09-21 4:42 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-09-21 12:59 PM

Don't really see how H can say width makes little difference. Our CB was 2300 wide, Adria 2025

Now that is 270 mm difference.. Or 11 inches in old money

Our differance between our last CB, a Swift Sundance, and our PVC, an Autosleeper Stratford, is 6 inches, mirrors folded. On rare occasions this would make a differance but mostly not, all I am saying not, for me, a reason in itself to change.

And with the mirrors extended for driving the difference is?

Gawd Colin is it raining where you are for you to be dragging up old threads? *-) :D

I assume the difference is that wider coachbuilts usually have long arm mirrors fitted, whereas PVC conversions just have the standard length ones.

Archived