A few new panel vans

Guest JudgeMental

Guest Had Enough
pepe63 - 2014-08-27 7:48 PM

b) So...exactly what base vehicles do you think are used underneath coach-builts that are left sitting on the drive' then?.. :-S

Can't wait for his answer to that! (lol) (lol) (lol)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
Had Enough - 2014-08-27 8:01 PM

pepe63 - 2014-08-27 7:48 PM

b) So...exactly what base vehicles do you think are used underneath coach-builts that are left sitting on the drive' then?.. :-S

Can't wait for his answer to that! (lol) (lol) (lol)

the clue is in the title for those not interested in panel vans why bother..... Many on here have CBs that i can assure you the beds far more restricted then in any panel van I've had! But we are of topic once again please try contain yourselves:-D

Terry is a lovely chap..just assuming he has had a bad day :D

terry1956 - 2014-08-27 3:39 PM

I have had panel vans and undertook a 12000 mile trip around Europe in it. I was 15 years younger then and at night trying to sleep across the rear it was more like being a can of beans on a supermarket shelf

I think you've hit the nail on the head why UK designed rear lounge van conversions are so popular with people here in the UK. They make up into a superb king size bed. This sensible layout is very rare from across the water.

JudgeMental - 2014-08-27 9:46 AM

Looks like the good old US of A, also have panel van campers from none other then Winnebago..

http://winnebagotouring.com/products/2015/travato/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vhWZatIj2g

It'd be interesting to see the Yanks come up with multi-slideouts on an X250 shell..:-D

...although, having had a poke about some of the "workings" of RV slideouts, they don't appear to do "lightweight" (..although,probably don't need to on an RV!), nor finesse ("agricultural", springs to mind :-S )

..so with something the size of an X250, it would probably be left with b*gger all in the way of payload!?.... (lol)

IH ......

pepe63 - 2014-08-28 8:50 AM

JudgeMental - 2014-08-27 9:46 AM

Looks like the good old US of A, also have panel van campers from none other then Winnebago..

http://winnebagotouring.com/products/2015/travato/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vhWZatIj2g

It'd be interesting to see the Yanks come up with multi-slideouts on an X250 shell..:-D

...although, having had a poke about some of the "workings" of RV slideouts, they don't appear to do "lightweight" (..although,probably don't need to on an RV!), nor finesse ("agricultural", springs to mind :-S )

..so with something the size of an X250, it would probably be left with b*gger all in the way of payload!?.... (lol)

Guest JudgeMental

It seems tha even Hobby now have a range of 3 panel vans coming out, interior finish looks good, nice and modern..sorry granny :-D

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/Motorhomes/News/New-models/Hobby-launches-new-campervan-range-for-2015/_ch1_nw3435_pg1

http://www.camprest.com/en/news/motorhome-caravan/hobby-vantana-motorhome-with-a-mobile-cab

There are internal videos on you tube.

this an unusual feature

"What distinguishes Vantana, is also the floor made of fiberglass with an insulation XPS. This design effectively protects the motorhome from condensation of water vapor. Plumbing is protected against freezing."

If you GOOGLE-search on “magazine.camperonline” (omitting the quotes) you should retrieve the following entry

COL Magazine | Viaggi in camper di qualità

If you select the "Translate this page” option you’ll pick up a webpage that carries 2015 previews amongst which is lots of good stuff including information about new PVCs.

GOOGLE Translate handles Italian-to-English fairly well and, if you can’t be bothered to read, there are lots of pretty pictures.

Guest JudgeMental

Chausson Twist panel vans

http://tinyurl.com/qjxy3dc

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its Peter Possl firms 25th Anniversary this year (Globecar & Possl vans)

http://www.reisemobile-heck.de/news-aktuelles/p%C3%B6ssl-globecar-2014-2015/

http://suchen.mobile.de/wohnwagen-inserat/poessl-2-win-r-25-jahre-2015-von-togo-reisemobile-stove/197214109.html

free raffle here..win a camper :-D

http://www.poessl-mobile.de/25/

JudgeMental - 2014-08-28 11:21 AM

latest Knaus Box Star. These seem pretty good quality. Kirbys nearly went for one, but lost his bottle and bought a boring old hymer :D

click on the video and have a good look at new face lift ducato

http://tinyurl.com/qjxy3dc

The Burstner has ditched the sliding door with the creation of a caravan door. Big mistake.

Guest Had Enough

I can see that advantages of a PVC and also the disadvantages of course. My wife isn't keen though as she loves our large garage with space for a couple of recliners, drying rack and boxes of food etc.

I really like the look of one or two twin bedded models, length usually about 6.3 metres. But does no one make one like my present Hobby, with very high beds and an enormous garage? In a PVC you'd have the advantage of side access through a conventional garage door and the rear entrance through the van

doors.

I can't see why it's not possible, unless there's a structural problem.

Guest JudgeMental
Had Enough - 2014-08-28 2:00 PM

I can see that advantages of a PVC and also the disadvantages of course.

they have to be on 6.3 chassis if you want a practical van with twin singles.

I thing the storage under bed bigger then you think. we have 3 x 100 litre plastic boxes,(one with all the general camping stuff, one with bike stuff, one with food etc...) buckets, waste caddy, bbq, table, reclining chairs + all the other outside stuff. sorry like the spacious bed with excellent head height...

the only thing we cant get in is the bikes..this the only storage difference from our CB

maybe this :-D

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-08-28 2:15 PM

Had Enough - 2014-08-28 2:00 PM

I can see that advantages of a PVC and also the disadvantages of course.

they have to be on 6.3 chassis if you want a practical van with twin singles.

I thing the storage under bed bigger then you think. we have 3 x 100 litre plastic boxes,(one with all the general camping stuff, one with bike stuff, one with food etc...) buckets, waste caddy, bbq, table, reclining chairs + all the other outside stuff. sorry like the spacious bed with excellent head height...

the only thing we cant get in is the bikes..this the only storage difference from our CB

maybe this :-D

I'd already seen that and it would be the Possl of choice for me. I suppose the only way to convince her is to go and see one. At the moment she's adamant that it has to be the Hymer Kirby.

It's a shame because raising the bed a foot or so in the Possl would still give a comfortable sleep height and would greatly increase storage space.

Oh, the other thing we couldn't spot is a wardrobe. Have we missed it or isn't there one?

Guest Had Enough
JudgeMental - 2014-08-28 2:44 PM

position dependent on model but in most above fridge next to kitchen like on a lot of vans.

Thanks, they don't advertise it much! Are Possl and Globestar absolutely identical or is one a slightly up market version for instance.

I really like the look of the Revolution and I feel that I could leave it on the drive for ages without the neighbours objecting. The problem with big white CBs is that they do look out of place on a nice road.

My neighbours are all pleasant folk but when I bring my 'van from my warehouse they know that it will only be there for a few days.

Then the 'van is handy for a day out whereas at present we only use our CB for longish trips as it's too much trouble bringing it home.

Guest JudgeMental
Possl the parent brand, Globecar more or less identical but Possl have much nicer exterior graphics IMO. + lighter wood interior, I think the upholstery differs. if you buy RHD it will have to be a Globecar I guess.

Afternoon folks,

We have the globecar family scout l. We changed from an Adria twin to give mrs goldi full feet up lounging . We would have bought another adria if they had been importing the spx at the time. It is on the extra long 6.3 m heavy chassis and has a transverse bed like we had on the Adria which we find ok.

This afternoon I have been up a ladder looking on the roof and I was impressed when I tapped the roof it did not sound hollow but as if it was very well insulated underneath . We are very pleased with it and intend to keep it a long time. At present it is booked in for the upholstery to be changed to leather.

Over the past 8 months I have reved about 30 decals/ transfers We have put 8000 miles on since jan uary

norm

Guest JudgeMental
goldi - 2014-08-28 4:10 PM

Afternoon folks,

We have the globecar family scout l. We changed from an Adria twin to give mrs goldi full feet up lounging . We would have bought another adria if they had been importing the spx at the time. It is on the extra long 6.3 m heavy chassis and has a transverse bed like we had on the Adria which we find ok.

This afternoon I have been up a ladder looking on the roof and I was impressed when I tapped the roof it did not sound hollow but as if it was very well insulated underneath . We are very pleased with it and intend to keep it a long time. At present it is booked in for the upholstery to be changed to leather.

Over the past 8 months I have reved about 30 decals/ transfers We have put 8000 miles on since jan uary

norm

Ah so you went for the model with the bigger front lounge instead of twin single beds...We did consider this ourselves.

Had Enough - 2014-08-28 2:59 PM

Are Possl and Globestar absolutely identical or is one a slightly up market version for instance...

Possl and Globecar brands are both ‘owned' by the Dethleffs Group and internal fittings (eg. bathroom furniture) used in Dethleffs coachbuilt models can sometimes be seen in Possl/Globecar PVCs.

In Continental Europe the dealership situation seems similar to the Swift/Bessacarr arrangement in the UK or the Chausson/Challenger arrangement in France, with a dealership selling either Possls or Globecars but not both brands.

On the Continent it’s possible to choose Fiat or Citroen motorisation for Possl and Globecar models, but all Globecars currently marketed in the UK are Fiat-powered. As far as I’m aware there are no official UK-agents for Possl, so if a Possl needs under-warranty work carried out in the UK I’m not sure what happens.

There’s a longish sort-of-related earlier discussion here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Possl-Vans-2014/33174/

Guest JudgeMental
Derek Uzzell - 2014-08-29 9:30 AM

Had Enough - 2014-08-28 2:59 PM

Are Possl and Globestar absolutely identical or is one a slightly up market version for instance...

There’s a longish sort-of-related earlier discussion here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Possl-Vans-2014/33174/

How nice to read a civilized thread Derek, had forgot about that one....I usually like to go back and round threads off and bring them up to date, but that one slipped my mind. might do it now

Had Enough - 2014-08-28 2:28 PM

I'd already seen that and it would be the Possl of choice for me. I suppose the only way to convince her is to go and see one. At the moment she's adamant that it has to be the Hymer Kirby.

It's a shame because raising the bed a foot or so in the Possl would still give a comfortable sleep height and would greatly increase storage space.

Oh, the other thing we couldn't spot is a wardrobe. Have we missed it or isn't there one?

The Hymer Kirby seems the best choice to me. I find the PVC just too claustrophobic inside.

Exisis-I 474 twin beds 6.55 metres or the 414 with 2 double beds and only 5.99metres.

It looks like both of these vans will take bikes in the under bed garage so no need for a bike rack on the back.

I've not seem them in the flesh but from the brochure they have raised my interest.

A PVC with a bike rack results in a vehicle as long as the smaller Hymers.

http://www.hymer.com/en/models/integrated/hymer-exsis-i/layouts.html

Add a Hymer E-bike to score more credibility points!

JudgeMental - 2012-09-19 1:31 PM

Your welcome, but was obviously only really intended for aficionados of panel vans...The clue was in thread title :D But seeing as my individual links did not work, there are lots of nice CB's in test area also....

There are some nice PVCs around now Judge, butmost are just scaled down versions of the usual layouts.

Many seem to pretend that they are suitable for a family, but really, seriously, a PVC is for 2!

It still puzzles and disappoints me that most PVCs have a "kitchen sink blocking the sliding door; many seem to insist on a "Dinette" as well as two front seats.

Our van is unashamedly for 2, not huge people. We have a longitudinal bed, galley kitchen and space for 2 chairs inside, looking out of the sliding door hole. But it wouldn't suit everyone. If anything we have too much storage space. It all depends on priorities and compromises.

But a PVC will never be an A Class! Just as well most people realize that before making the choice!

Regards

alan b

1364108801_walrus2013alayout100kb.jpg.b6eace8375bc97f32eef14297f4c1d0d.jpg

Afternoon folks,

A pvc is just for 2, I could not agree with you more Snowie and its for this reason that I am taking out some of the metalwork on the two belted passenger seats for the reupholstery to make it a strict 2 berth.

There are of course many families that have great fun with even vw conversions and I may have been there myself many years ago Comfort and convenience is what me and mrs goldi want now especially on the longer duration trips.

norm

Archived