Sea France back in bussiness

David Dwight

Saw My Ferry arrive in Dover a few days after re lunch back in August ,it arrived in Dover with three cars and a lorry ,it was in Dover for over forty five minutes one car went on.On return from France on Monday there was a My Ferry in Dover very little action happening on boat .When i checked they were more expensive.

Trouble is, they only have 2 boats running on this service, the Rodin and Berlioz, so there is a long gap between departures. Miss your time, or arrive early, and you have a long wait. P&O have 4 boats, and much more capacity, so it is worth paying a bit more to have the greater flexibility. Certainly this is what the truckers want, and they make up most of the year round trade. The other competition,DFDS, also only have 2 boats on the Calais route at the moment but rumour has it that they are sniffing around the third ex seafrance ship, Moliere, to provide a 3 ship service to Calais, which would make that operator a more viable proposition.

Worth noting that Myferrylink is ultimatly owned by Eurotunnel. If they start undercutting P&O prices, I am sure that the competition authorities will be sniffing around the reasons why they made this investment. It is all very strange anyway - I have heard that Myferrylinks loadings are generally very low. The French authorities were forced to pull the plug on the old Seafrance because of the unfair subsidies, so how long before the EU and our own authorities tell Eurotunnel to let Myferry sink or swim on its own revenues? I suspect Eurotunnel have a cunning plan somewhere for the future of their investment, but I can't work out what it is yet!

Archived