I so want this

Guest peter

What a dream machine in the 1960's a neihbour had a 500cc Manx Norton Single which we all drooled over. I had a 1959 200cc Triumph Tiger Cup I passed my test on the Wednesday in 1965 and on the following Saturday bought a 1959 600cc Norton Dominator 99 which was quite a hanfull comared with the Triumph.

For anyone who knows the road from Skegness to Spalding which in those days was like a dogs hind leg more than it is to-day and passed through the centre of Boston approx 42 miles which I did from the centre of Skeggy to the Centre of Spalding in just under 40 minutes 2 up with the fairing bolts sparking on most of the bends , O the joy of riding at speed without a speed camera in sight.

O.K here goes.

First photo is a bit of mess had to copy paste and edit from 1994 classic bike mag, it was voted the ultimate of the ultimate cafe racers, it was the first Norton hybrid I built for a friend/customer he sold it a few years later IIRC to a german chap for £40,000.

Second is the latest project Vincent engine with welded on Triumph gearbox in a wideline frame, as my ex boss (who I'm building it for) says "if your going to mess around with Norton frames, might as well do it big time"

524566379_NorvinClasicBikemodded.jpg.684f90086afce0ed6afb0ed0f3957ee0.jpg

Norvin.jpg.613fb773963d02570dff45758b4c7259.jpg

Here's another view, bit of a mess again as scanned from mag. As you can see, unlike the Triumph engine is a tight fit and realy fills the frame. If you need to fit a Triumph engine then I did fit a tuned Trident engine in one, that was a real beast, but nowhere near as nice looking.

1933133319_NorvinBWmodded.jpg.f2e01e6ab3dc48ad6089c1136232434d.jpg

kelly58 - 2012-09-28 7:58 PM

What a dream machine in the 1960's a neihbour had a 500cc Manx Norton Single which we all drooled over. I had a 1959 200cc Triumph Tiger Cup I passed my test on the Wednesday in 1965 and on the following Saturday bought a 1959 600cc Norton Dominator 99 which was quite a hanfull comared with the Triumph.

For anyone who knows the road from Skegness to Spalding which in those days was like a dogs hind leg more than it is to-day and passed through the centre of Boston approx 42 miles which I did from the centre of Skeggy to the Centre of Spalding in just under 40 minutes 2 up with the fairing bolts sparking on most of the bends , O the joy of riding at speed without a speed camera in sight.

I had a norton dominator 88 500cc and stuck a wal phillips fuel injector on it. Which basically just dripped fue into the venturi, it went like stink. Great bike. I am buying a yamaha 125 ybr custom to pull behind the m/h, bit of a come down from big jap bikes i've had, but I just want to poodle around places we visit now. It's too damn dangerous thesae days to go hairing around like a loony. Plus the roadside cash collection machines of course.

If it has to be explained you will never understand. I would rather have a bike than a tin top and as for looks you should have seen the raised eyebrows when at a recent Snetterton track day this 70 year young lad didn't let the side down lapping quite reasonably with the faster intermediates. Mind you I prefer the dry but it can get interesting in the wet. John (lol) (lol)

Having had his previous bike stolen a German guy we met did his 'new' bike up to make it more easily identifiable!

I understand that the 'gubbins' of the engine are not entirely original either which kinda surprises some folk when he passes them on the Autobahn!!

P1010366_1_1_1.JPG.9a67cb777fd2ff37f5430e93a1ddd309.JPG

I had a Vincent Black Shaddow when I was a student. It was admittedly a bit of a wreck but it was supposed to be the fastest bike around at the time. I don't know what a good one rode like but mine was frightening to ride. I was never brave enough to take it through the speed wobble it had at 70!

The seat used to get hot in the summer due to the shock absorber under the seat.

When I was a student we paid no fees and being an enterprising lad I managed to get a well known engineering company to sponsor me. I did say it was a bit of a wreck. As far as I can remember I paid £25 for it and sold it later for scrap to be used for parts for £15 after using it for one year. As far as I was concerned it was cheap transport for a year. The next bike I had was a BSA Bantam and after that a Douglas Fire Fly with the horizontally opposed engine. The BSA was the only one in anything like good condition.

After that I had an old Hillman Minx car which I sold to buy an engaugment ring for my then girl friend. Given that she has looked after me for nearly 50 years now it was the best thing I ever did.

Hello,

Many years I had a Norton single, 500cc I think. It seemed to fire at every lamp post, Max speed about 65 /70 mph.

The big end "went" just out side Weston Super Mare, where we were living at the time, so I advertised as such.

A couple of days later a young lad turned up to look at it , said he really wanted it but was short of cash, so I virtually gave it away to him. He said he'd pick it up the next day.......

So he and his dad turned up with a bike trailer....... his dad being a well known (not to me) bike racer who wanted it to fit a Triumph engine in it!

:D

Like the photo's by the way.......

Archived