Canine facilities on ferry to Spain?

Madmaggott

We're thinking of fleeing to Spain for a couple of months; ferry one way and driving the other.  Has anyone experienced taking their dog to/from Spain via ferry?  What are the arrangements for the dog's accommodation, do they have a kennel or stay in the van?  Is there an exercise and toileting area?  What about seasickness or stress, how did your dog react?

Any comments and/or experiences would help us to decide whether to go ahead or not.

Many thanks.

Hi

the ferry has about 50 kennels on the top deck with an excercise area. You can visit your dog as often as you like.

There are two sizes of kennels - we had a large one for our labrador and she had plenty of room.

i beleive they have some cabins where dogs are allowed but we have never used that facility.

our labrador was quite happy, the only problem was on her first crossing it was a little rough and she was seasick!! but once she had her sealegs (all 4) she was fine. She has crossed 4 times now with no problem.

you have to supply your own food but there is a place for water.

we left Jess most of the time and just visited her for an excercise session every few hours.

Have a good trip

Peter

Brittany Ferries Cape Finistere has pet friendly cabins as well as kennels, Pont Avon is the nicer boat and has kennels on the top deck overlooking the Heli pad. The kennels are warm and very clean stainless steel as previously said water containers provided, they also provides phoo bags, the deck is painted green, when we went 2 years ago on Pont Avon on the deck where you exercise the dogs it was very windy.

David

The Portsmouth/Santander crossing is only 24 hrs, so I would imagine your dog would sleep , as it does at home at night.I would sugest you phone BF, might be best to wait untill the strike is over, as there is bound to be a backlog of [passengers anyway, at the moment.

If you are going for two months, why not take the shorter crossings, and drive down.

Archived