Which Vet in France/Spain/Portugal

crbtaylor

Planning our trip abroad and return trip. Is there a leaflet or web site that gives the location of suitable vets in France to do the Dogs Health Check. Will Probably be coming back on the Tunnel. Also when travelling between France and Spain/Portugal do we need to see a vet?

We've used this one three times now and they charge about 35 Euros which is scandalous for one pill and a passport stamp.

However they are friendly, speak excellent English, have a good website and appointments can be made by email or you can just turn up between 2 and 3 pm any weekday.

It is very convenient to park, is a pleasant little town with lakes and walks nearby and some stay overnight in the adjacent car park by a park area (but we have not).

However we will probably use a vet further away next time to avoid having to hang around the Calais area for yet another day.

http://www.dogtravelblog.co.uk/thinking-of-taking-your-dogs-abroad/seeing-the-vet-in-france-for-the-pet-passport-treatment/

crbtaylor - 2012-10-02 9:50 AM

Planning our trip abroad and return trip. Is there a leaflet or web site that gives the location of suitable vets in France to do the Dogs Health Check. Will Probably be coming back on the Tunnel. Also when travelling between France and Spain/Portugal do we need to see a vet?

Hi

You do not need to see a vet between France, Spain , and Portugal.

As to finding a vet, I usually keep an eye out for a vet or use google. Like others I like to have my dog vetted a few hundred miles from Calais but on our last trip we had a couple of nights in Bruges and found a great vet 10 minutes walk from camping Memling.

We take our own tablets which keeps the price down. Most vets have some English but if not we just show the pet passport and it all happens.

Have a good trip

Peter

Tracker - 2012-10-02 11:31 AM

We've used this one three times now and they charge about 35 Euros which is scandalous for one pill and a passport stamp.

However they are friendly, speak excellent English, have a good website and appointments can be made by email or you can just turn up between 2 and 3 pm any weekday.

It is very convenient to park, is a pleasant little town with lakes and walks nearby and some stay overnight in the adjacent car park by a park area (but we have not).

However we will probably use a vet further away next time to avoid having to hang around the Calais area for yet another day.

http://www.dogtravelblog.co.uk/thinking-of-taking-your-dogs-abroad/seeing-the-vet-in-france-for-the-pet-passport-treatment/

Exactly my point. We always ask the cost of the "treatment" first.

As long as by say the 5th day you are looking as your travelling you shouldnt have a problem, as already has been said try to plan so those five days Don't include a weekend or like us a holiday weekend ie Bastille day on 14th July :-S we were lucky that we found one on the Fri; and made an appointment for Mon afternoon ! we were lucky as we were leaving early Wed; morning, we used the one at Muzzon this time and didnt know when we parked up if there was one, we parked on the Aire and walked into the village saw a young lady with dogs and asked her. It just meant we had a longer stay than we normally do, but rather there than in Calais.

you dont need to see a Vet on route through France Spain etc; its only the U.K that need to see proof of the treatment.

One thing I would check for before you go ask your Vet for a scallibor collar if you intend going on beaches with your dog in South of France, Spain and Portugal, I bought one the first year we went but didnt use it as we didnt need it as it turned out, but best to be prepared.

Archived