Asda £70 parking charge notice - beware!

jb6981

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Iain Strachan - 2012-10-06 8:03 PM

What is the problem here in you telling the company who was the driver? I would suggest though that it will not be followed up by the company in Perth. Tell them you will see them in court!

Cheers Iain

1) I have no legal or moral obligation to divulge information about the driver. If they knew the driver's details they would threaten and harass him/her over what I regard as an extortionate, disproportionate and unwarranted demand for £70.

2) If they have CCTV evidence showing only the car registration number and not the driver that's their problem, they should have better systems in place to identify the 'perpetrator' if they wish to impose monetary penalties.

3) Why should I help them? I have absolutely nothing to do with this matter, I was not even in the country when the alleged parking overstay took place, why involve me and threaten legal action against myself?

4) I have written to them and told them that I will pay them nothing, I await their reply. The next move is theirs. If they persist I will simply tell them to issue a Letter Before Claim complying with the County Court pre Action Civil Procedure Protocol; then a County Court summons and I will see them in court.

I really hope they do take this further, it is no fun when your adversary doesn't fight back.

As the so called "offence" took place on private ground you are probably correct that there is no legal grounds for disclosure of the driver. May be different in Scotland! where the company issuing the notice seem to be based.As for moral grounds I dont do Morals, that depends on your beliefs etc. If fun is what your looking for, I agree its sport in court, enjoy.

Cheers Iain

PeteH - 2012-10-05 7:52 PM

The, Bottom line on this however is to "vote with your feet" and tell them WHY.

Customer Service, ASDA House,

Southbank, Great Wilson Street, Leeds LS11 5AD

http://your.asda.com/contact_submissions/new (not sure if the link works but worth a "punt"?

Pete

I used the Asda contact link above and set out the heading of my complaint, extortionate parking charges, and added a link to the this forum.

That was on Saturday 6 October 2012; on Sunday 7 October 2012 they phoned me at about 10 am, the wife told them that I was still in bed and they said that they would contact me by e-mail (which I prefer, you have a record of what everyone is saying).

It is now Thursday 11 October 2012 and no contact from them, although they say on their site that all complaints will be answered within three days.

On 6 October 2012 I decided to visit the 'crime scene' [Asda, Kings Heath] to check out and photograph the car park warning signs.

The car park is accessed via a narrow and congested side street, there is only one combined entry and exit point; as you go into the car park there is a large sign that states 1.5 hours free parking, in smaller lettering it says 'please see signs for details'. Friendly and welcoming so far!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/jb6981/asda2.jpg

When you get into the car park there are four further signs [see photo below]; on the perimeter fence to your left there are two signs, on the wall facing you is one sign and on the back wall of the building to your right is the fourth sign. These are the signs referred to in the friendly first sign.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p261/jb6981/asda1.jpg

Not so friendly now!

Is the first sign misleading? Do customers get the impression that parking is free? What do you think?

Not everyone realises that there may be charges and bothers to read the signs and really why should they, they are only going shopping and are in a 'friendly' supermarket car park or from their experience in other car parks such as motorway services they may think the limit is at least two hours, not a paltry 1.5 hours. Do they expect to be hit by a large £70.00 'fine' for overstaying by a few minutes?

Are Asda holding the people that pay their wages in contempt and treating them with arrogance and disdain? Not a good business model, perhaps if they had a monopoly maybe, good job they do not.

I think you have now (massively) over egged the cake.

Yes it seems stupid that supermarkets upset customers like this, BUT, the first sign is not misleading, and why would anyone not realise that going over 1.5 hours will incur a 'fine', and whats this about 'friendly' supermarkets? they are all business's that want to make money from you.

Interesting ... just to give 'the other side' as it were.

Last Thursday I went to Tesco in Hull city centre (on my scooter ... pre-prang!) and as I was about to potter into the store a business lady stopped me to check on the parking situation (she'd already parked up and was about to go in too). I told her she would have 2 hours free parking then she'd get fined. She thought that as she was going to a meeting which would probably last 3 hours, when she left she could pay for the extra time over the 2 hours (she assumed this would be when she exited the car park). I told her that unfortunately she couldn't do that as you ONLY have 2 free hours in the car park and then would be fined, and couldn't simply pay for the extra time. I suggested that she'd be best to come out and move her car, but she said that wasn't possible, so I said they'd better be quick with the meeting!

So, it isn't as 'cut and dried' as it may seem ... the initial sign really need to say more clearly that whilst you can have X number of hours free, anything over this is not simply payable as an additional parking fee ... you WILL ACTUALLY BE FINED.

colin - 2012-10-11 9:56 PM

I think you have now (massively) over egged the cake.

Yes it seems stupid that supermarkets upset customers like this, BUT, the first sign is not misleading, and why would anyone not realise that going over 1.5 hours will incur a 'fine', and whats this about 'friendly' supermarkets? they are all business's that want to make money from you.

Any business that deals face to face with the public such as pubs and supermarkets needs to be friendly and welcoming even though privately they may think their customers are a pain in the ass, which believe me they can be. I have worked in retail and if you upset your customers it can be very bad for business.

This is why I find Asda's attitude puzzling, I know they are in business to make money but the first rule of business should be the customer is always right.

sshortcircuit - 2012-10-11 10:18 PM

I really cant see the problem here and will ignore those silly comments about duration to shop clarity of signs etc. Clearly states that you have 1.5 hours free parking and then extra is chargeable. If you are not happy then go elsewhere

I am glad someone else has said it as well as me, last time I passed comment (see link to other thread in Derek's post) I got shot down by some.

I fully agree Mr sshortcircuit if you dont like the idea of a mere 2hrs free parking then go somewere else. A business has the right to set down terms and conditions so see no problem whatsoever in allowing a couple of hours for free then charging for overstay :-S

sshortcircuit - 2012-10-11 10:18 PM

I really cant see the problem here and will ignore those silly comments about duration to shop clarity of signs etc. Clearly states that you have 1.5 hours free parking and then extra is chargeable. If you are not happy then go elsewhere

As far as " ... silly comments about duration to shop ..." are concerned; what is silly about expressing surprise about being allowed only 1.5 hours before being fined?

It seems in other parts of the country the Asda parking limit is three hours. Even Asda concede that two hours is not enough time to shop.

"Wrexham Asda changes parking rule after criticism

Published date: 19 June 2012 | Published by: Rebecca Cole"

"OUTRAGED customers have forced a leading supermarket to make a concession on controversial parking restrictions.

New signs appeared at the Asda store on Holt Road, Wrexham, just over two weeks ago stating shoppers were allowed only two hours of free parking before they would be fined £60.

But the move sparked a huge backlash among regular visitors and now Asda has extended the maximum waiting time to three hours".

"A spokesman said: “The new system is designed to target those overstaying their welcome but give genuine shoppers plenty of time to shop in our store.

“But in this case it appears we may have been a little over-zealous with the time limit and after feedback from our customers that two hours is just not enough we’ve extended the parking limit to three hours".

http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/113554/wrexham-asda-changes-parking-rule-after-criticism.aspx

If you read my post you will see that going elsewhere does not apply because I never went to Asda in the first place. I do not shop there and I was in France when the alleged parking overstay took place.

Mel B - 2012-10-11 10:59 PM

Interesting ... just to give 'the other side' as it were.

Last Thursday I went to Tesco in Hull city centre (on my scooter ... pre-prang!) and as I was about to potter into the store a business lady stopped me to check on the parking situation (she'd already parked up and was about to go in too). I told her she would have 2 hours free parking then she'd get fined. She thought that as she was going to a meeting which would probably last 3 hours, when she left she could pay for the extra time over the 2 hours (she assumed this would be when she exited the car park). I told her that unfortunately she couldn't do that as you ONLY have 2 free hours in the car park and then would be fined, and couldn't simply pay for the extra time. I suggested that she'd be best to come out and move her car, but she said that wasn't possible, so I said they'd better be quick with the meeting!

So, it isn't as 'cut and dried' as it may seem ... the initial sign really need to say more clearly that whilst you can have X number of hours free, anything over this is not simply payable as an additional parking fee ... you WILL ACTUALLY BE FINED.

Surely if the woman was having a meeting with ASDA, she should have been in the Staff car park? If it had been me, I would have asked to speak to the manager, re where do "Visitors" park.

I think that the woman in question had a meeting elsewere so the cheeky begger parked on asdas car park which is why supermarkets implement the max stay and then the overstay charge.

Point well and truly proven, I rest my case mi lud.

ips - 2012-10-12 12:47 PM

I am glad someone else has said it as well as me, last time I passed comment (see link to other thread in Derek's post) I got shot down by some.

I fully agree Mr sshortcircuit if you dont like the idea of a mere 2hrs free parking then go somewere else. A business has the right to set down terms and conditions so see no problem whatsoever in allowing a couple of hours for free then charging for overstay :-S

"Go somewhere else"! If you read the post properly you will see that I was not even an Asda customer

What would you think if you received threats and demands for something that had nothing to do with you?

Of course a business has the right to apply terms and conditions; so do you think it reasonable that someone is 'fined' £70.00 for a few minutes overstay?

Do you think it reasonable that Town and City Parking obtained my home address from DVLA, made the baseless assumption that I was the 'perpetrator', demanded £70.00, then threatened me with debt collectors and legal action?

I do not even shop at Asda and was in France. Do you think it unreasonable that I complain?

It seems a lot of people do get caught out by Asda's parking signs:

"Annette Davies, of Pont Adam, Ruabon, was particularly upset when she received a parking charge notice from Town and City Parking Limited.

As a full-time carer for her elderly mum and a second woman, she needs a little more time to carry out her weekly shop.

When Mrs Davies went to [Asda] customer service to complain, she found many other customers had been similarly penalised".

http://www.leaderlive.co.uk/news/113554/wrexham-asda-changes-parking-rule-after-criticism.aspx

In my home town there is no free parking, streets around the high street are resident only. This is due to large numbers of drivers dumping thier cars for the day and then catching trains and buses into Cardiff. When ASDA opened its new store they then had the same problem and no end of shopers got caught with fines some did not even shop in Asda, But used the car park for free. So they introduced pay and display, works great just £1 for 3 hours and you get the £1 back when you shop in the Store. It is a problem proving to stores that you have not overstayed , even if you are not even in the country Looks like someone may have cloned your registration plate. It happend to me for 4 speeding offence in Hertfordshire, I asked for the photos and the photo showed a car, My registration was on a BT ford van. It Took me and BT 1 year to get the speeding tickets withdrawn.GOOD LUCK dont give in to them

ips - 2012-10-12 1:29 PM

I think that the woman in question had a meeting elsewere so the cheeky begger parked on asdas car park which is why supermarkets implement the max stay and then the overstay charge.

Point well and truly proven, I rest my case mi lud.

Mel did say that she had parked up, and was about to go in the shop

I thank my learned friend you are correct. However one assumes that when she had bought her fags or whatever she was off somewere else to a meeting so either i am right and she was a cheek Begger or an idiot who thought they would charge her to attend a meeting in the store.

PJay and ips - I suggest you go back and read my posting ... I said it was TESCO!!!!!! *-)

Now a bit more background. The car park I was talking about is part of the St Stephen's shopping centre development in the city centre but belongs to Tesco (it is actually under their shop and classed as their 'lower ground'). There is a multi-storey car park belonging to St Stephens but I've never used it and wouldn't know how to get into it as the entrance isn't in the same place (I did mention this to the lady!. The multi-storey is a 'normal' car park in the sense that you pay to use it all the time, however, the Tesco one is free for a MAXIMUM of 2 hours before you will be fined.

http://www.ststephens-hull.com/parking.aspx

I didn't ask which store she was going into for her meeting, but I know it was somewhere in St Stephen's, it may simply be that she got the wrong car park. She hadn't been a 'cheeky bugger' ... she was obviously a stranger to the city and I assume had been advised to use the St Stephen's car park and probably just got the wrong one (neither are well signed from the roads).

jb6981 - 2012-10-12 1:59 PM

ips - 2012-10-12 12:47 PM

"Go somewhere else"! If you read the post properly you will see that I was not even an Asda customer

What would you think if you received threats and demands for something that had nothing to do with you?

Of course a business has the right to apply terms and conditions; so do you think it reasonable that someone is 'fined' £70.00 for a few minutes overstay?

Do you think it reasonable that Town and City Parking obtained my home address from DVLA, made the baseless assumption that I was the 'perpetrator', demanded £70.00, then threatened me with debt collectors and legal action?

I do not even shop at Asda and was in France. Do you think it unreasonable that I complain?

It seems a lot of people do get caught out by Asda's parking signs:

"Annette Davies, of Pont Adam, Ruabon, was particularly upset when she received a parking charge notice from Town and City Parking Limited.

As a full-time carer for her elderly mum and a second woman, she needs a little more time to carry out her weekly shop.

When Mrs Davies went to [Asda] customer service to complain, she found many other customers had been similarly penalised".

I have to ask, as it is not absolutely clear, was the vehicle in question with you in France? If so then I assume you have a ferry booking showing the registration of when you left and returned. May I suggest you send these with your complaint direct to ASDA, registered if possible, and see what happens. As many have said ASDA is a commercial business and will try in most cases to resolve disputes, even if they are not entirely to blame. If the DVLA have given out an incorrect number then you are not liable, but if your vehicle was there, even if you were not driving it, then things are not so clear cut.

As for the 'Mrs Davies' story again if she had gone to customer services on arrival and explained I am sure that she would have received every consideration. Unfortunately many people make blind assumptions and yes, Companies do subcontract things such as parking monitoring to possibly less than scrupulous Companies, but usually going direct to the supermarket works.

At least you were ABLE to drive into the ASDA carpark, we always USED to call into the Merthyr Tydfil Asda on our way home (Fishguard), to top up with cheap diesel and buy the weekly shop, this time (2 weeks ago) lucky i was not on 'Auto-pilot' as they have installed a set of Height Barriers, not to the fuel station luckily, but the shopping had to wait til we got home. So it seems ASDA are getting 'customer unfriendly' in all sorts of ways. I have contacted Customer services to complain but I expect it to fall on deaf ears. Ray

ps As for paying a parking 'Fine' for NOT being in their carpark,I wouldn't pay, whatever they threaten.

Iain Strachan - 2012-10-13 5:51 PM

I really cant believe that this is still rumbling on! I thought that this was a motorhome forum.

Cheers iain

It is a relevant topic for a motorhome forum because people on trips in motorhomes, especially on extended trips, often park in supermarket car parks when they need to stock up on food, etc.

This topic warns them about what can befall them if they do not read the signs in said car parks.

Dave225 - 2012-10-13 4:35 PM

I have to ask, as it is not absolutely clear, was the vehicle in question with you in France? If so then I assume you have a ferry booking showing the registration of when you left and returned. May I suggest you send these with your complaint direct to ASDA, registered if possible, and see what happens. As many have said ASDA is a commercial business and will try in most cases to resolve disputes, even if they are not entirely to blame. If the DVLA have given out an incorrect number then you are not liable, but if your vehicle was there, even if you were not driving it, then things are not so clear cut.

As for the 'Mrs Davies' story again if she had gone to customer services on arrival and explained I am sure that she would have received every consideration. Unfortunately many people make blind assumptions and yes, Companies do subcontract things such as parking monitoring to possibly less than scrupulous Companies, but usually going direct to the supermarket works.

1) The vehicle in question was in England driven by someone else.

2) I have contacted Asda, they have not replied.

3) Quote "but if your vehicle was there, even if you were not driving it, then things are not so clear cut." as the alleged overstay took place before 01/10/2012 the driver is the person they need to pursue not myself, the registered keeper.

4) I have written to Town and City Parking informing them that I owe them nothing and will pay them nothing. They have not replied either.

Rayjsj - 2012-10-13 6:20 PM

At least you were ABLE to drive into the ASDA carpark, we always USED to call into the Merthyr Tydfil Asda on our way home (Fishguard), to top up with cheap diesel and buy the weekly shop, this time (2 weeks ago) lucky i was not on 'Auto-pilot' as they have installed a set of Height Barriers, not to the fuel station luckily, but the shopping had to wait til we got home. So it seems ASDA are getting 'customer unfriendly' in all sorts of ways. I have contacted Customer services to complain but I expect it to fall on deaf ears. Ray

ps As for paying a parking 'Fine' for NOT being in their carpark,I wouldn't pay, whatever they threaten.

I too think any complaint to Asda will fall on deaf ears. I agree that they are not very customer friendly which surprises me because the public pay their wages, upset them and they go elsewhere. There are plenty of other supermarkets out there.

jb6981 - 2012-10-13 6:53 PM

Dave225 - 2012-10-13 4:35 PM

1) The vehicle in question was in England driven by someone else.

SO YOU KNOW WHO USED YOUR VEHICLE AND ARE NOT THEREFORE SAYING THAT THE OVERSTAY DIDN'T HAPPEN, YOU JUST WON'T LET THEM KNOW WHO IT WAS.

2) I have contacted Asda, they have not replied.

NOT GOOD RELATIONS BUT THEN AGAIN I SUPPOSE IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU ACTUALLY 'SAID' TO THEM AND IF THEY ARE CHECKING THINGS OUT.

3) Quote "but if your vehicle was there, even if you were not driving it, then things are not so clear cut." as the alleged overstay took place before 01/10/2012 the driver is the person they need to pursue not myself, the registered keeper.

IN WHICH CASE YOU ARE 'ABETTING' THE PERPETRATOR BY NOT PROVIDING THE INFORMATION TO THEM.

4) I have written to Town and City Parking informing them that I owe them nothing and will pay them nothing. They have not replied either.

I REFER TO YOU MY COMMENT UNDER 2) ABOVE.

So, this has really NOTHING to do with whether the policy is right/wrong, it is simply that you are REFUSING to give the information about the actual DRIVER of the car who committed the offence whilst you were abroad. Am I right???? :-S

Archived