Merits of SupaGard treatment (if any)

Rayjsj

Hello Folks,

We are in the process of buying a new discounted 2012 motorhome, for 'merely' an extra £300 we are being offered an internal and external 'Supagard' treatment on the van. Is this the same as 'Paintseal' that was tested by John Wickersham a few years ago ? he seemed to think it was good. But then he was probably paid to say so anyway. OR would the money be better spent on something else. Opinions and experiences welcomed. thanks Ray

Just checked on the 'Paintseal' website, price £599 for a 7.6 metre Motorcaravan. !

Hi I had supaguard treatment on 2 cars that i've owned paintwork and interior.It makes washing the car much easier (the first car was a black RX8 20 min to wash looked great) the interior is like scothguard so stops seats soiling.The latest car was bought from a Mitsubishi dealer and treated with Mitsubishi brand with the same results . I did a deal when buying the car (Mazda 2)and paid half price £100 so looks like you have a good deal to me.

Regads David

I know people who have raved over the end result, but had we paid for the treatment on our van ( we won it in a raffle) I would not have been happy. The van was four years old when it was done though so on a newer van it maybe better. Would not have it treated again.

On the other hand the car Diamond Bright Treatment (at 12 months old ) and I have been very pleased with it. Washing is easier and it always looks good.

We were on a C&CC site recently and there was the shiniest black car I'd ever seen (ours is black too) and it gleamed at me every time I cycled past.

In the end I asked the owner what the secret was and he said he'd had the Paintseal treatment on it.

I reckon that if the Supaguard treatment is similar (and it makes cleaning the 'van easier) then an extra £300 on a new 'van would be a wise investment.

Don't suppose it's black though, is it. *-)

Hi Rayjsj,

We had Paintseal treatment on our last van and this one, seems fine and a goood downpour leaves no washing required except for roof I must say. Also have Supagard on our new merc car and that also seems fine. I would go for the best deal or offer if I were you as both systems seem ok.

cheers

derek

Presumably you are referring to unpainted GRP (ie. where the colour is part of the gel-coat), as painted GRP would be much the same as painted metal.

The Paintseal Direct website says

"...Once applied, the coating seals and protects your caravan, motorhome or boat’s exterior, including the ABS and GRP surfaces..."

The company Information part of the website also mentions (negatively) "Supagard" and "Aglaze" products

http://www.paintsealdirect.com/companyinfo.htm

I'm certain there are owners of coachbuilt motorhome who are unaware whether their vehicles have body-panels with the outer skin made of aluminium, GRP or AluFiber, but such ignorance won't matter as long as the owners don't intend to carry out DIY tasks involving the panels.

And, returning to Rayjsj's original question "...would the (£300) money be better spent on something else?" the answer has got to be Yes.

Thanks Derek,

I already came to that conclusion after seeing 'Supagard application Kits' on e-bay for a lot lot less than £300 Even taking into consideration the labor for applying, not a bargain . Decided to spend the money on a set of 'mirror-guards' and a set of exterior Silver Screens, and will use 'Showroom Shine' carnuba wax on the bodywork instead. Ray

Guest JudgeMental

Our Gardner used to do valeting and polishes the van really well in less then 2 hours for a fraction of the cost of these "services" . When is scouts bob a job coming round again? :D

or buy product and take it to local hand car wash and get a quote....

Please do not use any sealer on your motorhome (unless its a panel van).As mentioned before motorhomes are a mix of materials GRP, aluminum, ABS, steel etc. which are not all suitable for this treatment. Some makers may say that its ok but they won't want to know in a few years time when half of it has come off and the other half has gone discoloured. I have seen many examples of this happening so its better to stick with a suitable wax polish

fjmike - 2012-10-09 8:49 PM

Please do not use any sealer on your motorhome (unless its a panel van).As mentioned before motorhomes are a mix of materials GRP, aluminum, ABS, steel etc. which are not all suitable for this treatment. Some makers may say that its ok but they won't want to know in a few years time when half of it has come off and the other half has gone discoloured. I have seen many examples of this happening so its better to stick with a suitable wax polish

so go on then fjmike... give us a suitable wax polish which wont take me 6hrs to put on /off lol

i was thinking about starbrite marine polish with ptfe twice a year job done

what do you think?

jon

ps cant get to swindon so not doing you out of business lol

Archived