Keeping Fridge Running on Portsmouth to Spain Ferry

Cliffy

markh1 - 2014-10-27 8:57 PM

There really is no problem, hook ups are available, your motorhome will be on the deck with the commercial vehicles and you can plug in, been there and done it

Maybe when you asked there were spare hook-ups that were not required for refrigerated trucks, so you were able to use one of those. OTOH, if all had been in use, you would presumably have been refused. I think it is potentially misleading to others to advise that hook-ups ARE available and folk CAN plug in. There is bound to be some limitation on availability, so what happens when demand exceeds supply? MAY be available, so you MAY be able to plug in, would seem more appropriate.

But, might it be worth contacting the port direct, and trying to get hold of someone down there to see how flexible they are in practise? You'll just need to phrase the question carefully, so as to find out whether motorhomers can use the hook-ups if they are not otherwise required.

Clearly, they are not going to guarantee availability in advance, so it will be necessary to plan for no hook-up, but to use one if free.

As a policy, with demands liable to change at short notice, the company is bound to say no to holidaymakers if they are contractually obliged to keep truck mounted refrigeration units running throughout the crossing.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I travel twice a year on Brittany Ferries and on each occasion when leaving the UK I am asked to confirm that my gas is switched off. Never on the return leg. However, it is madness to run a fridge on gas onboard a ferry and cannot understand how an earlier poster believes it is OK.

Brian

You don't have to ask at the port, you get it added to your booking when you make it with Brittany Ferries, so they know to keep you a hook up, its noted on your booking so when you check in they know where to load your motorhome

If you havn't added it to your booking, then go onto BF's twitter page and ask there, they will come straight back to you with confirmation

Well, to try to clarify this, as it seems a bit fundamental, I have just tried using BF's on-line booking procedure, and could find no reference to availability of hook-ups. I then searched their website under various hopeful sounding descriptions, and drew blanks, so I finally 'phoned them.

They were absolutely adamant that the facility is only available for refrigerated trucks booked as freight. I pressed a bit, saying I was being informed by one of their passengers that he had been able to book a hook-up, and quoted verbatim what you had said above. This caused a pause while further enquiries were made, and their response was that BF has never done this, and that no such facility is available on any of their UK to Spain routes.

Their only suggestion was that possibly it was LD Lines or P&O, both of whom have now withdrawn. Very odd. Can you say when you last did this, and/or whether your vehicle was booked as a freight vehicle, or possibly not with BF?

Brian

On this thread’s previous page in my posting of 21 October 2014 1:23 PM I provided the following link to a 2012 discussion on the American RV Club forum about electric hook-ups on the Brittany Ferries UK-Spain route.

http://www.arvclub.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4369

There’s no doubt that the Brittany Ferries route was being discussed and there’s no ambiguity in barryjsteel’s several postings on the ARVC website. It appears (see Barry’s posting of Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:05 pm) that in 2012/2013 he was able to obtain an EHU on the outgoing Portsmouth-Santander leg of the journey and on the return trip and he describes how he arranged this after making his booking. Conversely, another ARVC posting a few weeks after Barry’s says that Brittany Ferries advised that onboard EHUs were not provided.

I note that markh1 has a Ducato 130Mj-based Autocruise coachbuilt motorhome, so its unlikely that his booking will have been classed as freight. As it’s plain from his other postings that he’s a regular traveller to Spain (and will be going there again next month) it’s most unlikely that he has somehow confused the ferry operator! There’s also his reference to BF’s Twitter page, which suggests his advice relates to a fairly recent EHU booking arrangement.

I believe it’s safe to say that, despite Brittany Ferries being “absolutely adamant” about onboard EHU facilities only being available for refrigerated trucks, some motorcaravanners in recent years have managed to ‘officially’ pre-book and obtain EHUs on BF’s Spanish route.

Agreed, Derek, and I confess I dod not follow your earlier link, as at that stage I hadn't become sufficiently intrigued. It was markh1's response to my speculation that he had just got lucky that got me really curious, and I actually read what he had said to BF. Their response was denial, then enquirles from the supervisor, then further denial and insistance that he must have been mistaken. I'm rather hoping he'll come back and explain how he managed to make the bookings, against BF's insistance that it is not possible. Unless he's discovered something he'd now prefer to keep to himself! But clearly others would like to know.

As an aside to the above. In October we came back from Caen to Portsmouth, and where put on the lower deck with the big lorries. (did not ask for ehu) The other MH where all on a different deck to us.I did wonder if because I stated we were over 3 m high, as we are slightly. I can't say whether the lorries had hook up I suppose the Spainish run may be different, but 5 hours could be a long time for some cold frieght

PJay

Brian

As you might have surmised ;-) I did look on Brittany Ferries’s Twitter website for markh1’s request for an on-board EHU for his motorhome and BF’s answer, but I couldn’t locate it. The website seems to have started life in late-2012, but it’s a devil to search without knowing when markh1 made the request, how he phrased it or whether any ‘direct messaging’ might have been involved. There’s also the possibility that, even though his request/BF’s answer was there at some stage, it’s not there any longer as data do get lost or deleted.

Personally, I wouldn’t have considered using BF’s Twitter page to ask for an on-board EHU, though I might have used Facebook (except BF’s Facebook page does not seem to allow this), e-mail or the telephone. As you've said earlier, there seems to be no obvious way to request an on-board EHU when booking via BF’s on-line system (though it may be worth adding that I’ve only experimented with the system up to the Payment stage!)

As markh1 points out, if a motorhome were to be connected to an on-board EHU it would need to be specially loaded in the same way that vehicles carrying disabled people are. It’s plain commonsnse that, if Brittany Ferries allowed every motorcaravanner (or caravanner) a just-ask-and-you’ll-get-it right to an on-board EHU, loading those types of vehicle could become very complicated. As has already been said, I could understand BF being amenable to providing the occasional non-freight vehicle with an on-board mains connection if there were a persuasive reason like vital medication being carried that needed to be kept refrigerated, but there nothing to indicate that’s what happened when markh1 and Barry Steel (on the MHF forum) were granted EHUs.

You were told that BF’s policy is that on-board EHUs are reserved solely for refrigerated trucks (which is what one might reasonably expect woud be the case) and people (eg. fesspark) who have asked BF if they can obtain an on-board EHU on the Spanish route have been told not. However, there is the possibility (based on markh1’s postings) that, if a booking has actually been made, BF will then agree to an EHU being provided, whereas casual inquiries about EHU-provision are given the brush-off.

I recall once (years ago) asking a lady on the P&O information-desk at Portsmouth what maximum dimensions and weight limits there were for motorhomes travelling on P&O’s fast-ferry route. She told me that motorhomes were not permitted to travel on the fast-ferry. “Yes they are”, I said. “No they aren’t”, she replied. I then presented the ticket showing that my motorhome would be boarding P&O’s fast-ferry that day. “Well”, she said, “We are told to advise people who ask that question to say that motorhomes are not permitted on the fast-ferry and, if you knew the answer already, I don’t why you bothered to ask.”

I’ve no idea if Brittany Ferries has a policy of dismissing inquiries about EHU provision but sometimes allows provision once a booking has been made, but if fesspark (or others) would like an on-board EHU on BF’s Spanish route, the most effective means of getting it seems to be to book the crossing first and then request the EHU.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-11-04 8:30 AM

Brian

.......................I’ve no idea if Brittany Ferries has a policy of dismissing inquiries about EHU provision but sometimes allows provision once a booking has been made, but if fesspark (or others) would like an on-board EHU on BF’s Spanish route, the most effective means of getting it seems to be to book the crossing first and then request the EHU.

Indeed Derek. Unless one of those who have already done this manages to explain more exactly how the concession was gained, I think the only safe assumption for others is that hook-ups are not going to be available, and that those who have enjoyed the privilege just got lucky.

Of course, It will be open to anyone travelling on the route to speak to loadmasters, or even have a little sniff around, to see for themselves whether there is any flexibility once on board, and report back.

In the meantime, I'm still inclined to be a bit sceptical on this since, unless the motorhome were loaded alongside a solid element of the ship (housing the sockets), the prospect is of wires trailing around the car deck, which would present both trip hazards and potentially complicate vehicle unloading on docking.

markh1 - 2014-11-04 3:21 PM

The last time i did it was via twitter, you won't see the confirmation on the twitter page as they PM you with it

But, as BF say this is not possible, could you please "walk us through" the process you used? It may be a shock to some, but I make no use of Twitter! :-) It seems quite a few folk would also like to know, as it would be a valuable service on the long sea routes.

I find it difficult to accept that a hookup is available on BF. Parking for any possible electricity supply would be along the sides of the ship and the dangerous possibilities of having trailing leads ( given that some vans have their power inputs on different sides) when people are moving through tight spaces to gain access to and from the staircases is frankly potentially dangerous leaving BF open to all kind of legal action for negligence. Parking with lorries on the lower deck might be a possibility but surely BF could not commit to a motorhome EHU as that could deprive a commercial refrigerated vehicle from securing a slot.

Sorry I thought everyone who uses a forum would be using Twitter..... Anyhow process last time was:

Book ferry via avios( you get it cheap with avios miles which you can earn by converting your Tesco club card points)

log on to Twitter ( or open a twitter account if you don't have one)

Follow Brittany Ferries ( you have to follow them to exchange messages)

Request a hook up on your passage, they reply ( but it's a private message PM )

You give them your booking ref, they PM you to confirm they've added it to your booking

Enjoy your crossing

BF are very good at using twitter and will reply by return

markh1 - 2014-11-04 6:40 PM

Sorry I thought everyone who uses a forum would be using Twitter..... Anyhow process last time was:

Book ferry via avios( you get it cheap with avios miles which you can earn by converting your Tesco club card points)

You give them your booking ref, they PM you to confirm they've added it to your booking

Enjoy your crossing

We are using Brittany Ferries direct to Santander this year instead of the tunnel and driving. I see on the Avios site that Tesco Vouchers are exchanged at a rate of 600 Avios points for each £2,50 Tesco voucher.

What I can not seem to find, without phoning them, is how much saving would the points give on the ferry price, not just £2.50 I take it?

Enjoy your crossing

Thanks for the explanation.

Could you say (roughly) when was the last time you tweeted Brittany Ferries and obtained confirmation from them that a hook-up would be provided on the crossing you had booked to Spain, please?

Assuming that you had booked a return fare, did Brittany Ferries also agree to a hook-up being provided on the return journey?

Enjoy your crossing

Thanks for that. I'll leave your fellow Tweeters to find out how it works out for them. :-) Strange that it seems to be getting round the "official" embargo on booking hook-up. Left and right hand?

One further detail, please, just to complete the booking picture. How soon after making the booking have you used the Twitter link: as soon as you get the booking confirmation, just before you set off, or somewhere between? Thanks again.

Derek

Last time I tweeted them re the hook up was in October 2014 - confirmed ok both ways, although don't usually bother on way back as there's no ice (for my G&T) in the fridge

Brian

Within a week last time

Cliffy

I saved £400, (we have premium cabins both ways) call Avios and they'll give you a price, note the details of the crossing/cabin you want from the BF website before you call

In response to my post,on 2nd November,Derek Uzzell posted that he would ringBF next morning to ask about running fridge on gas during journey,I havnt seen his response so I emailed BF at Portsmouth myself today.

Answer,no you must turn off gas during crossing,,, BUT if your refridegerator can run off electricity we can easily provide this for you!!!!

What do you make of that then?

peacock312 - 2014-11-05 1:09 PM

In response to my post,on 2nd November,Derek Uzzell posted that he would ringBF next morning to ask about running fridge on gas during journey,I havnt seen his response so I emailed BF at Portsmouth myself today.

Answer,no you must turn off gas during crossing,,, BUT if your refridegerator can run off electricity we can easily provide this for you!!!!

What do you make of that then?

If you re-read the posting of mine that you’ve referred to, you’ll see that what I said was

"I’m startled that Brittany Ferries loaders would give motorcaravanners approval to run gas-fridges during a sea-crossing. I’ll contact Brittany Ferries and ask if they are happy with their staff providing such advice.”

I did not say when I intended to contact BF nor how I would contact them.

After having posted, as there was no doubt whatsoever what BF’s policy was regarding vehicles carrying gas-bottles during a crossing - that (as BF have advised you) the bottles must always be turned off (thus making it impossible to run a fridge on gas) - I decided that it would be unproductive asking BF to comment on conflicting advice said to have been provided by their loading-staff.

If I had been given such advice myself by a 'loader', I might have progressed the loading-staff issue. But I concluded that asking about reports from other people that BF loading-staff had approved gas-fridge operation would produce BF responses on the lines of “They should not have said that”, or “They may have misunderstood”, or “Please provide precise details” (which I did not have).

Consequently I chose not to contact BF.

• 10 months later...

Just to open this one up again. I will be travelling to Bilbao on Tuesday so thought I would follow the advise of previous posts about requesting an EHU for the outbound crossing. I both emailed BF and posted a tweet. The email came back towing the company line stating that the EHC s were only for freight vehicles and are not available to the public. The tweet was responded to a little more positively and offered to email the ship to request the hook up and if it could be made available should there be spare capacity. Whilst this is not guaranteed and I probably won't no until after boarding at least it showed some hope. The only problem is not knowing and having to freeze everything in preparation.

I will let you know how we get on!

pepe63 - 2014-10-21 4:55 PM

..and presumably folk don't bother taking any clothes on holiday either...seeing as they could just go straight out shopping and buy some when they get there.. (lol)

And how right is that Pepe ! ... 3 months in Australia I only take 1 change of under clothes, washed every night in the shower by stamping on them. Its called 'hands free travelling' and by-passes all the baggage collecting points. All expensive stuff goes in a body wallet.

Upon leaving I dump what's not needed, AND most important never take new or good clothes unless your intention is to be viewed as a 'green tourist'.

Archived