NEC Show

kelly58

Guest JudgeMental
Surely after show, when dealers have returned to base after all the excitement, with winter upon us, must be the best time to approach again for a deal......works for me :D

Apparently we're going there this year! don't know why as no intention of changing van, might have a look around asseceries but IIRC there's not the best sellection of them there. I supose a look around some new vans might give some ideas for any mods we might wish to make to van

I have found the NEC an excellent place to deal. I recall attempting to purchase a van at the September show at Shepton Mallet but the figures didn't work for me and tried to secure someting better by telephoning around. Nothing doing.

I tried for the same van at the NEC the following month and the difference in price was remarkable although I can't recall the exact figures. I even managed to get solar panels, an additional battery and satellite system at less than cost price.

Yes the cost of sales pitches is high leading me to the conclusion based on personal experience that manufacturers and dealers can't afford not to deal at the NEC.

We went to the Peterborough show and almost did a deal. (£74k rrp new van) Left all the contact details with dealer for the van I wanted and my trade in etc. 5 emails and 2 telephone calls later I am still waiting to be contacted. Wouldn't you expect people to follow up in this economic climate?

So to answer your question Kelly58- nope -will stick with our existing van and save the money. We are going to the show en route to Herefordshire so will probably buy something-new elastic for the chairs! Oh and some toilet chem.

Mike

We have booked for the NEC not sure if we are going to change yet, haven't seen anything better than the one we have, suits us down to the ground especially with me driving now, too big for Tez to drive in 2 years time but hey ho, what might happen in two years, its a long time , but there again time flies!!!

paulmold - 2012-10-09 10:35 AM

Agree with Judgemental. With show pitches costing up to £40,000 , how can a dealer afford to do a deal there.

Hi

on that cost how can they afford NOT to do a deal? They need to cover costs so need to sell a minimum number to cover costs. also some manufacturers give extra discounts or deals over the major shows. We purchased our last one at the exel show and were happy with the deal. Also the show seemed half empty so there were more opportunities to do the deal.

We are also going on Tuesday - but not to buy.

Perhaps we will see some of you there.

Peter

Our 1st motorhome a Compass Suntor 115 which was purchased from the NEC in 2006 with lots of extra's priced at £28,995. as we did not have a trade in I said to the sales rep I have only £25.000 to spend have we a deal ? It took him less than 5 minutes to come back with an answer which was " Yes " . As an entry level motorhome  we were more than pleased with it. And the model is still being produced although under a different badge.

We are going on Friday 19th. We currently do not have plans to change our motorhome, but we always like to look and you never know. Last time we were there, we took a fancy to a Niesemann Bischoff Flair but we couldn't afford it!!! No doubt we will see something that we like that we cannot afford this time, as per usual. :-D

Hi

We are going on Wednesday not because we are thinking of changing but more to see if there are any deals on for winter sites in Spain / Portugal or next year in who knows where. Last year there were some good deals available from the new Camping Marjal and also from DFDS on Dover / Dunkirk

Bob

paulmold - 2012-10-09 10:35 AM

Agree with Judgemental. With show pitches costing up to £40,000 , how can a dealer afford to do a deal there.

£250,000 is nearer the mark and more, small stall like stands are much less., then there is the cost of any building work, water, electric and phone lines. Not forgetting logistics, staff accomodation and expenses. Stand graphics and brochures etc. The list goes on, it could cost a large company up to £500,000.

I used to work for a business which took large stands at the NEC.  It was cost effective because our suppliers would either provide FOC or give a huge discount for items to be shown on the stand and also give an increasing discount according to the volume sold at the show.  The large shows bring in a huge volume of customers and this working together by supplier/manufacturer and the retailer is why such good discounts can be given to the end user.

Archived