Ferries

Corky 8

I was looking at pre booking my Ferry,to Dunkirk for either May or June 2013 for the full month, and the price on both DFDS and P&O were almost the same price DFDS @ £61 out £74 return total £135,  P&O,@ £63 out £73 return=total £136 , a big difference to when I booked last year at this time,total was £65 return to Dunkirk,  My Question, When Is the right time to book your ferry ?  Is there a right time ?

Usually leave my booking until after Christmas Corky. Ferry companies usually know by then if they are going to have a good or bad year by how many have booked. Compared with Irish crossings though, it is cheap. £142 Cairnryan to Larne and £235 back from Dublin to Holyhead with the CC discounts included last August. :-(

Keep ringing the bells.

Dave

Whichever ferry crossing you want,I don't think there is a 'best'or 'right' time to book! We have in previous years sometimes booked in January, and at other times left it until last minute, and have either lost or gained in both situations, and there's seems no logic to it!

Having said that, does this mean that DFDS have now withdrawn their offers previously advertised by the CC (yes I know they are 2012 fares, but they were normally available well into the following season).

iF so this means an increase of somehting like 100% on 2012 prices!

Think the DFDS, CC, & C&CC prices may be being held up until after the show to make a 'special offer' price at that.

DFDS usually do a special of £39 each way for car& caravan which also applies to Motorhome & Trailer. I got £68 return last year via CC for 7m van & 3m trailer. I am hoping they will do something similar this year as I want to book a return from Dunkirk/Calais for March

Consequently, as suggested on here just before Christmas should be about best time for bargains

Mike

Last year I booked 3 days before we went and got a better price than when I looked in February. This year in June I needed a crossing at short notice it was more when I booked 3 days before than if I booked it a week earlier.

No rime or reason it's pot luck.

Another 'tip' here;

I used DFDS as I got a better deal and sailing time than P&O were offering at the time. Part way through my trip I decided to amend my return trip by a further week so emailed them and asked if there would be a charge. They replied stating there would be an amendment fee of £10, so I then phoned to sort it out. I was put through to their Bookings, told them my ref number and the date I wanted to amend to, then asked how they wanted me to pay the fee.

To my surprise the guy on the end of the line said "there isn't any charge"!!

Whilst at Bray Dune Aire I met a British couple who were on the sailing after mine but wanted to amend to the same sailing as i'd got. They got charged the £10!

Only conclusion I could come to was i'd amended mine some weeks before whereas they did theirs the day before. So if you do need to amend a booking......phone in plenty of time.

Thanks all, I will be patient and wait till after Christmas and look again at booking, I thought there may have been an increase in prices that I hadnt heard of,   I too have arrived early for my pre booked ferry crossing and been ushered on the ferry already loading , also once had to pay 56 Euro to leave a day early than planed due to an emergency at home, Swings and Roundabouts as they say,   Many Thanks,

Archived