Semi Air Suspension

Tracker

As part of the uprating from 3500 kg to 3850 kg I ordered a kit of Dunlop semi air suspension as per the link, and those interested in air ride for whatever reason might like to read of my experience so far.

http://www.marcleleisure.co.uk/store/dunlop-suspension-fiat-ducato-x250-0606-p-1970.html

Ordered on Sunday, Delivered yesterday, brilliant service, fitted today. It is quite easy and took about three hours from unlocking the van to locking it all up again. As with most things, the second unit went in lot quicker than the first!

A couple of points not mentioned in the instructions. I made up a height marker pinpointing the exact ride height before I started as a reference point and I found the bellows slots in a lot easier if it is compressed and held closed with string which is easily removed before bolting it all together.

On the road the van certainly bangs, thuds and crashes a lot less and whilst it is too early to speak of improved stability it certainly at worst seems no worse and not dis-similar the the ride of an Alko chassised van. Not that I find the Cheyenne unstable in high winds or motorway traffic.

Is it worth £350 just for a quieter ride? That's very subjective - but maybe by the end of a long tour of being bounced from am to pm on a daily basis a little less thudding and bouncing might well be worth £350 and in the context of the total cost of a new van - why don't they all offer it from new?

The Cheyenne was already a little tail high and now even with the minimum of air pressure in the bellows it sits about 10 - 15 mm higher at the rear wheel centre with no real difference to the front end ride height. Every extra Bar (14.5psi) of air pressure raises it another 10 mm or so. It is early days yet but changing the air pressure does not seem to alter the ride although I have yet to use it in strong winds or on a Motorway or on very rough and badly potholed roads (like Belgium!!).

I would be interested in other people's experience with similar set ups.

We've had a basic(no gauges)Dunlop set-up( from Marcle')on our van for best part of two years now..

We were already plated 3850kg without it but we needed it because we'd occasionally ground-out on the one end of the rear bumper,whilst pulling up our steep driveway.... *-)

If I recall correctly,it now sits about 60-70mm higher at the bumper(@ 35-40psi).

...and although,I thought the vehicle handled well enough as it was,the air assistors certainly steadied things up,when negotiating the likes of roundabouts etc...

..and over the two years,we've had nothing fail or leak.

(..I just check the pressures,whilst I'm checking the tyres..)

Are they worth the money..?...Well if,as in our case(and your's) they are needed to acheive a specific goal,then I would say yes,they are..

(..it would've been nice, if they hadn't have been needed though... ;-) )

Edit:Off Topic a little...I did consider(not for very long,admittedly!) looking down the SvTech route to see if it would be feasible to increase the rear axle allowance,now that we've got 'em fitted?...but then I thought,if I was going to go that far,rather than looking to get more allowance on the rear axle,the money would probably be better spent,by easing it's workload by fitting an underslung gas tank up the front..

(..not that our gas usage really calls for it though...)

pepe63 - 2012-10-10 4:44 PM

Edit:Off Topic a little...I did consider(not for very long,admittedly!) looking down the SvTech route to see if it would be feasible to increase the rear axle allowance,now that we've got 'em fitted?...but then I thought,if I was going to go that far,rather than looking to get more allowance on the rear axle,the money would probably be better spent,by easing it's workload by fitting an underslung gas tank up the front..

(..not that our gas usage really calls for it though...)

You might have needed uprated tyres too to get a higher weight re-plating, depending on the load index of your present ones?

By the way it's not off topic as it is all very relevant to suspension and payloads etc!

I've been "mis-reporting" events slightly... :$ (...as it just seemed easier (lol) )

There was some confusion when we'd first bought it because I noticed that as well as the Renault(3500kg)plate,it also had a Trigano plate,showing 3850kg...but no documentation to support it.

The dealer was unaware of the 3.8t plate and had sold it to us as 3.5t (and it was shown as such on the V5).

After MUCH faffin' about with the dealer,DVLA(even directed to VOSA at one point!)..and generally being sent around in circles,I contacted Trigano's main office in France and they just sent through documentation,no messing..stating that was in fact 3850kg from standard.(Quote: "type approved for 3850kg"..).

...a copy of which I forwarded to DVLA and the V5 now shows 3850kg, Private HGV.

(The original tyres were of 3850kg "spec" from standard..112Q..).

So... I assume it may've got "down-plated" for the wrinklies over here in the UK.. (lol)

I did just fit those Grayston Coil springs assistors to our previous little Compass 120 and for a vehicle of that size and weight they were just the job(...and half the price or "air"..)

But I wasn't sure if they'd be man enough for a 7mtr,3.8t van(..and it's be a bit late finding out, once they were paid for and fitted..)

pepe63 - 2012-10-10 6:46 PM

So... I assume it may've got "down-plated" for the wrinklies over here in the UK.. (lol)

I believe it was the other way round - that the 3800kg version was marketed to a) gain a realistic user-payload and b) target those countries where there was a large buyer-base with an over-3500kg driving-licence entitlement - the UK, with lots of 'wrinkly' motorcaravanners with a 'grandfather' up-to-7500kg licence entitlement being an obvious target market.

The Master-based Allegro 93 would normally have been offered in France at 3500kg, as relatively few French motorcaravanners have a driving-licence entitlement permitting them to drive heavier vehicles. For the UK 3800kg would have been the norm for the Allegro 93 and contemporary Master-based coachbuilt motorhomes from other manufacturers (eg. Auto-Trail Miami) were often plated at 3800kg.

I believe the latest Renault Master is the same, with 3500kg/3800kg optional plated-weights.

pepe63 - 2012-10-10 6:55 PM

I did just fit those Grayston Coil springs assistors to our previous little Compass 120 and for a vehicle of that size and weight they were just the job(...and half the price or "air"..)

But I wasn't sure if they'd be man enough for a 7mtr,3.8t van(..and it's be a bit late finding out, once they were paid for and fitted..)

I have Airrides on mine to deal with a specific grounding problem. I pump mine up to 50lbs/sq ins.

While the Airrides have helped significantly I woud now like to raise the front by about 50m. I have been in touch with Grayston who advise me their spring assisters are also suitable for the front. So that might be my next step.

Pepe63......................... Were the Grayston's easy to fit?

Mike88 - 2012-10-11 9:36 AM

........ Were the Grayston's easy to fit?

Hi Mke..

Well..they were on the back of our little X250 Pug...where they just replaced the original rubber doughnut/assistor/bump-stop "thingie"...

Not sure what would be involved with fitting them to the front...although I recall our's did come with very good step by step fitting instructions......

Chris

pepe63 - 2012-10-11 9:48 AM

........ Were the Grayston's easy to fit?

Hi Mke..

Well..they were on the back of our little X250 Pug...where they just replaced the original rubber doughnut/assistor/bump-stop "thingie"...

Not sure what would be involved with fitting them to the front...although I recall our's did come with very good step by step fitting instructions......

Chris

Thanks Chris:

These are the one's I've been looking at:

http://www.lkperformance.co.uk/coil-spring-assisters/grayston/grayston-coil-spring-assister-raisers-26-to-38mm-gap-pair/219369

Mike(..me again)..

I've only just remembered.. *-) .

...I fitted some of those rubber,insert things to the rear of our old Hillman Avenger estate back in the early 80s..

(....*I seem to recall, it involved loads of Fairy liquid and pushing and shoving,with a hammer stale! (lol))

They raised and "stiffened" the rear okay,I suppose(..at the time I was "doing up" our house and taking loads to rubbish to the tip in a trailer)..

...but they do reduce the spring's range(making them more solid)and I did end up braking a rear suspension arm..

(..now whether that was down the the springs being too "solid" or the fact that the vehicle was a rusty piece of dog sn*t,I'm not entirely sure..... (lol) )

(*..That sounds like,that could be one of Dave's(Pelmetman) navy stories... 8-) (lol) )

pepe63 - 2012-10-10 6:55 PM

I have Airrides on mine to deal with a specific grounding problem. I pump mine up to 50lbs/sq ins.

While the Airrides have helped significantly I woud now like to raise the front by about 50m. I have been in touch with Grayston who advise me their spring assisters are also suitable for the front. So that might be my next step.

Pepe63......................... Were the Grayston's easy to fit?

While Grayston may have advised you that their spring assisters are suitable for your motorhome's front springs, the "Rubber Coil Spring Assisters" webpage of Grayston's website refers only to these products being used on a vehicle's rear suspension.

http://www.springassisters.co.uk/menu.htm

I'm sure you could jam these things into your Mondial's front springs (one coil-spring is just like another after all), but 50mm is a lot of 'lift' and their effect on your motorhome's driving characteristics will be an unknown quantity pre-installation.

Logically, they must firm up the ride, but they aren't too expensive so may be worth trying. On-line reviews stress the importance of obtaining the appropriate assister for the coil-spring's 'gap distance' and (a single suggestion) that boiling the assister for 10 minutes facilitates fitting.

To be sure of raising your vehicle's height at the front axle by 50mm, you'd need to put a 50mm spacer above or below the coil-spring, or a 25mm spacer above and below the spring. Thinking about what that means suggests to me that it would be difficult to get anywhere near that amount of height increase with just a single assister per spring. On your own head be it...

Thanks everyone. I'm only thinking about it at the moment and I could probably get away with raising the front by as little as 20mm. I have in fact fitted these, like Chris, on a car when I was a caravan tower and they worked well but these of course were on the rear. My main fear is that the weight of the van might negate the lifting effect in a very short time; hence my original question.

As Derek says they are cheap enough and, if they don't work, then I have not lost a great deal. Further research is required though.

Archived