northern spain

pirio

northern spain  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest pelmetman

We've spent the last 2 New Years at Biarritz same neck of the woods weather wise ;-)

Weather has been changeable but this New years day we sat outside at the restaurant on the beach B-)........................and I had to go back to the van to get my hat as my bonce was burning :D

hi

we stayed at a campsite in San Sebastian ( Donostia) a couple of years ago, Pamplona & Burgos this year. Dont know if they are what you would class as Northern Spain? We have also stopped a couple of times at Urrugne which is just on the French side of the border, less than a mile from Spain. With the exception of the san sebastian they are all ACSI sites and up to their standard, Urrugne espescially good.

If you need any more info come back

Bob

Judge makes a good point. Where do you want to go, what do you want to do, what are you hoping for?

Certainly not somewhere to go for the warm weather and travelling through France may not be straightforward if the weather gets cold and / or it snows,. Most campsites are closed by now and I would suggest you need to do quite a lot of forward planning. Do you have ACSI book?

If you post your hopes and expectations you will get lots of great advice here

Bob

We are getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander in early December ,and then will be making our way down to southern Spain for the winter, we thought we would stopover in northern Spain for a few days and have a look round. any thoughts?

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2012-10-13 5:25 PM

Most stay on the Aire,........it gets busy!

Yep............busy ;-)................New years day this year :D

P1000031web.jpg.b16d21b25dd12f52157be618f9e9dab9.jpg

If you are heading south the ACSI camping card site at Aranjuez near Madrid is open all year. Pleasant walk into town and the Royal Palace but cold in winter.

Burgos as mentioned is also a good site for a walk along the river into the town which is on the famous pilgrimage route.

The aire at Biarittz is also our favorite. The cliff top walk in winter is very pleasent and brazing. There is a charge of 10 euros regardless of whether you manage to get EHU. You need to arrive at least mid afternoon to get one. In winter it is hit and miss whether there is collection of the fee.

Our first stop in Spain is at the aire in Palencia, on the outskirts of a lovely town. From this Forum I gather that there are more aires cropping up in northern Spain. Perhaps the latest edition of All the Aires Spain and Portugal has them covered.

John

There is a lovely site on your way down through Spain at Toledo. Open all year round it is a couple of kilometers outside the old city walls and there is a bus stop just outside. Very friendly and welcoming people with great facilities. Unfortunately it is not in the ACSI book as yet! The old city is well worth a visit!

We spent a while in Northern Spain last year, mostly in the Asturias and Galicia and sought out quite a few Aires and wildcamping spots. Most of these were noted in our blog at the time. http://motorhomingwithneilmac.blogspot.com.es/2011_06_01_archive.html

Hope this is useful :-) Although I'm not sure I'd want to do the same trip in the Winter - we were there in May/June.

One of the best Aires I've stayed on anywhere is the one about 30 minutes outside Santander on the road to Bilbao at Carbeceno. The Aire is alongside a lake in the grounds of a ZOO and is situated above the elephant enclosure. The coordinates are on the campingcar- info site in the Spanish section.

Done it twice, once from Bilbao to Covadonga looking where we could go in the Picos area at that time of year most campsites closed stopped where we could get water etc . Second was from Calaise to Birritz -Bordeaux then D918 TO SAINT Jean-Pied-De-Portthen N135 to Orreaga-Pamplona..What a journye, when leaving Boreaux it was cold and dry, soon as we started going up the mountain we saw couple of large pigs on other side of road coming down, it then started snowing, went far as possible then road became dodgy so held up until snow plugh came . Well we were ok for a while but the plough was making a blizzard behind so it got harder until we lost him, but using his tracks we came to the down side of hill and was confronted with jackknived artic and others before him. Spectacular scenary looking down fom side of cab . we were there long enough to make a meal and shortly the snow stopped to give us the go ahead as now one could see the road width by the tracks made. We stopped at Pamplona and travelled around for a while seeing really lovely places and then made our way down theN240 to Monasterio de Leyre . From there it was East bound to Med.At one time I remember when the water had run out we asked a garge owner if he could spare some. First he started up a engine in the garage which presume was a pump then put in about half a tank .Later went to use tap and nearly brown water came out !!, I did say drinking water etc but it was something else. Lucky a campsite was opened where we drained and flushed the tank out. . This is what I love about M/H you get to see so much more in life.

We were in Northern Spain mid-November last year. The aire by the wildlife park just south of Santander was great (early morning dog walks to see the elephants).

We travelled west and found the campsite at Santillana Del Mar open, but it might as well have been shut - washing machines off, wifi off, reception closed etc. So we drove to tourist information and they were happy for us to sleep in their car park for the night. Found this to be the case across most of Northen Spain. Used All The Aires book to find service points and mainly asked Tourist Information or local police where to park as a lot of the campsites were closed.

http://ourtour.co.uk/home/shopping-and-santillana-del-mar/

Julie

Archived