Travel insurance question

thebishbus

Some forum members have recommended various insurance companies, for longer one trip, or annual travel insurance. I wonder if these recommendations were on premiums quoted, or on claim satisfaction.

I think more important than just low premium quoted, is that you have the cover that you expect,and that any claim is settled to your satisfaction. I have listed a few of the companies recommended by forum members. I would like to know if anyone has claimed against any of them, and what the outcome was. Thanking you for your response .

Brian B.

The Insurance Surgery

Staysure.co.uk

Caravan & Camping Club

Insure & Go

Lifesure

Columbus Direct

Direct Travel insurance

ps or name any other company that has given good claim satisfaction.

Our van is insured with COMFORT , both for  Breakdown and general Comprehensive cover,full 365 days cover we have had two breakdowns  in Spain and Portugal, new clutch required in Portugal and we were   given an Hotel for four nights whilst the van was disabled, I was able to get the van to a Fiat Garage  myself so did not need recovery but it was offered  at the time, I was phoned daily by agents to ensure all was well.I reversed into a rock in Spain and had a new rear Bumper and lights fitted on my return to UK, no problem with Comfort, the claim was £1300.I have had two Windscreens fitted through Comfort and one screen repair, so am I happy with Comfort, you bet I am, and on renewal I always shop around but end up with Comfort each time.
  we don't do Health Insurance, we rely on the E111 and have had emergency  treatment twice in Spain, once when I dislocated my shoulder, OUCH!! and once when my wife was diagnosed with Gall Stones.  CCC club Insure our home and we have 180 days un-occupancy included in our cover.I don't do cheap Insurance , that is available everywhere, Comfort  probably can be beaten on price but NOT quality IMO.

For a few years we have had an annual travel policy from Columbus Direct. The only claim was in April 2010, when the Icelandic ash cloud delayed our flight to Portugal by three days. They paid up without any problem - I believe many other insurers at the time refused to.

Mike

vindiboy - 2012-10-12 8:19 PM

.........................  we don't do Health Insurance, we rely on the E111 and have had emergency  treatment twice in Spain, once when I dislocated my shoulder, OUCH!! and once when my wife was diagnosed with Gall Stones.  ...........

Have you considered the cost of repatriation should that be necessary? It is where most of the health insurance policy costs arise, and can be truly astronomical even from European countries. EHIC cover against most hospital treatment is normally a starting requirement of the policies, but an EHIC wont get you home if you, or your partner, are hospitalised with a condition that leaves you unfit to drive, or to travel without medical supervision, on discharge.

Well that's it then. After 248 views,it looks as though only one person, Mike, has claimed ( successfully ) against one of the companies listed. (Columbus Direct). Vindiboy is right the EHIC does cover you for the medical treatment. We used it in Spain, my wife had her arm stitched up after a cycling accident at Salamanca, then the stitches removed 2 weeks later at Vejer de la Frontera, very efficient service. Sometimes though, as Brian mentions, the EHIC is not enough. A friend of ours damaged his spine in a cycling accident in France, he had no insurance but relied on his EHIC, that covered him for the medical treatment, but to return him to the UK, on his back for more attention, the cost £5000. That is nearly twice what we had paid in over 25 years for joint annual travel insurance. (with Online Direct Insurance) They charged low premiums, and settled our 3 claims promptly. Unfortunately because of age, we had to change companies this year, I chose one recommended by forum members. ( Insure & Go). That is why I asked the question, premiums quoted or claim satisfaction. Looks like we will have to wait to see what happens if we make a claim. Thank you for looking.

Brian B.

Guest JudgeMental

Approx 8 years ago had a Fall on wet stairs while on holiday in Antigua. Back was heavily bruised and painful so had to go to clinic ..nothing broken but X-ray alone was £450 *-) . Columbus paid up no problem. They won't cover me now as health has deteriorated .

You have to call them as soon as injured and tell them the situation. Had to go to doctor first who referred me to clinic. And called again to make sure they where aware every step of the way.

Pointless taking out insurance unless you tell them everything...doctor visits, change in medication whether up or down. Waste of money otherwise as if you have a claim they will check.......

We rely on cover on our Lloyds bank account.

A good friend of mine who also relies on his Lloyds Bank account for travel insurance suffered a head in injury in Barbados after he was released from hospital they arranged for a nurse to be flown from Canada to accompany him & his wife and flew them back to the UK 1st Class.

Also talking to the travel clinic last week they reckoned the cover Lloyds provide is amongst the best (been having expensive rabies & other jabs before our trip to India next week).

Guest JudgeMental
India, where are you going, we are going for Christmas. idon't think rabies required really...mainly for aid workers and the like

Went for the rabies & Japanese Encephalitis cost nearly 600 quid (good job I got the flights free). May go of the beaten track so better be safe than sorry.

Flying into Bangalore on 3rd Nov returning on 30th.

Have a couple of contacts there one of them them is Social Sec of the Bangalore Club and can get us rooms there, might be a bit up market for us campers. :D

Spending a few days around Bangalore then flying to Delhi then trains to Shimla (Mountain Railway) from there to Amritsar for the Golden Temple, flying back to Dehli then train to Agra for Taj, trying to fit in a couple of wild life parks, The boss is set on going to the camel fair at Pushkar & she wants to go Jaisalmer for a camel ride with camping in the desert - not looking forward to that the couple of times I've been on a horse I said never again. Then the other tourist bits Pink city etc. before flying back to Bangalore for a couple of days.

Boy what a nightmare trying to sort out Indian trains been at it solid for over a week, but they are cheap e.g. 300km 1st Class £6.37 for both of us, cattle class about £2

Guest JudgeMental
sounds fun Lenny, ours is family trip for my 60th,...Golden triangle tour starting in Delhi, then overnight train to Udaipur (city on lake) then flight to Cochin for 3 nights (Kerala) to get over the northern part! then 5 days at beach resort for Christmas and fly back new years eve..kids insist on that!

Guest JudgeMental
Yes a private organised tour..hopefully seemless! Smal company recommended by wife's family who have been using them for years... Half the price of main UK operators with better hotels also

Archived