Mercedes base-First fault but happy in end!

dicksob

Went to our storage site to pick up the Motorhome for a weekend at CC Forfar, disaster won't start. Thought must be flat battery, recording only 12v, called Mercedes 24hr helpline, 45mins later very helpful technician arrives, tries jump leads, no success, faulty starter motor. Phone call later, as its a 3litre merc only one is in Milton Keynes, on order, so now we need recovering to Merc Commercials in Broxburn. Technician suggests we pop off to nearby hotel for lunch, he will arrange for recovery truck to come and will give us a call when ready to load. One hour later, nice lunch over, van loaded on recovery truck, bit hairy that, and off it goes. Got a call Monday, work completed Tuesday, no charge as under warranty. So Mercedes can go wrong, especially with Motorhome sleepy syndrome, but after sales support great. Note to self, use the van more often!

Technician who replaced the starter said it was a reasonably common fault on Motorhomes due to limited use. They don't try and repair or clean the contacts etc, just swap out the unit and send it back. Ok if in warranty, expensive I guess if not. For those of us non-practical types, no real option.

Brendan,quite agree, after reading similar tales on Motorhomefacts (sorry!) I wondered if it was a relay failure, however as it was under warranty didn't enquire too much. Have to agree re their response, no quibble, friendly, professional, was a change from our previous experience with our Fiat base, though that was with a combined car/van dealer rather than commercial who deal with vans all day.

Bill

It is unusual for a Mercedes Starter motor to go wrong as they are nearly always Bosch and out of all 12 volt Electrical component Manufacturers I would rate Bosch the Best. but solenoid,s do stick and that is the normal failure with starter Motor,s, since the demise of the Bendix type of starter, the usual first aid for the solenoid type was to Tap it with the shaft of a Hammer whilst trying to crank the engine, but the newday Technician's dont do such things. Glad to hear a happy ending for a change.

It is unusual for a Mercedes Starter motor to go wrong as they are nearly always Bosch and out of all 12 volt Electrical component Manufacturers I would rate Bosch the Best. but solenoid,s do stick and that is the normal failure with starter Motor,s, since the demise of the Bendix type of starter, the usual first aid for the solenoid type was to Tap it with the shaft of a Hammer whilst trying to crank the engine, but the newday Technician's dont do such things. Glad to hear a happy ending for a change.

ONE CLICK .....................HONEST>

Hi,

Have to agree with Corky 100%,,,,, I really think you may have been led astray,,,Never had to replace a starter in any low mileage 
Merc' base Motorhome yet and quite a few have been left parked up,,,,for a considerable time 
Glad all turned out well ,,,,,,
Regards,
Brendan

Archived