Paris Campsites

peterjl

Hi everybody

i have secured a place on Paris Marathon which means i am looking for a campsite with easy/fast access to the metro on the Champs Elysee as i have arrive there by, say, 8.15ish on Sunday morning when buses/trains may be less frequent.

i have identified two campsites but both with drawbacks:-

Camping de Paris Bois de Boulogne - about 5 miles by bus from the metro - that looks ok as it has been used by some runners in this years marathon who used the chalets on site. The draw back seems to be the facilities for campers (old/tired?) and noise during the night (i need my sleep!)

then there is Campsite Paris-Est at Champigny-sur-Marne; this seems a little cheaper but again a bus ride from the metro and then a longer travel time - 40 mins according to the metro website.

Soooo - 1) does anyone have personal experience of either of these sites and give me some thoughts on journey etc

2) Can anyone suggest an alternative site - idealy walking distance from the metro.

i really don't want a long walk in the morning before the start - i did that for my last marathon and reaped the consequences!

many thanks

Peter

Thank you Jeremy and Kelvyn.

Jeremy, I would really appreciate an update after your visit.

Kelvyn, thank you for that, I had searched on the Acsi online site but must have missed that one, I wil have another look.

I am hoping to make my booking before December.

Regards

Peter

First, well done for having a go at the Paris marathon - and all the best with it.

You're clearly an adventurous type Peter, so if your van is fully self-contained, why not do what we did a couple of years ago.

We parked for a few days/nights on the big car park on the south side of the Chateau de Vincennes. No facilties, but officially listed for camping-cars - and with a police barracks next door, surely as safe as any campsite!

It's just a stride from Vincennes Metro station, on Line 1.

It's at 48deg 50.25' N, 2deg 26.08' E.

peterjl - 2012-10-18 9:48 AM

Thank you Jeremy and Kelvyn.

Jeremy, I would really appreciate an update after your visit.

Kelvyn, thank you for that, I had searched on the Acsi online site but must have missed that one, I wil have another look.

I am hoping to make my booking before December.

Regards

Peter

Peter - sorry -- change of plans!

We are no longer going to Paris in November. Our problem was that we wanted to go for a week, spending only a couple of days in Paris itself, However we simply couldn't find anywhere else to go in Northern France for the other days.

So no review of Paris Est I'm afraid!

Thank you Tony. I hadn't thought of looking in the aires book which is silly cos we usually use aires in France. I need to think this thru cos we are intending to stay for at least 6 days, a couple of days before to attend the marathon expo and then a couple of days after to recover! Also I will need extensive use of shower after the race! I may start there and move after the race for a couple of nights further out but with facilities.

Also thank you for updating me Jamie.

Regards

Peter

There's a good campsite in the "village" of Versailles. It's about 5 mins from the station. It's in the Caravan Club Book. Google for Huttopia in Versailles. And when it's all over you can take a stroll up the main drag towards the palace.

H

Hi Peter 

We stayed at Camping de Paris Bois de Boulogne earlier this year and it just happened to be the weekend of the Marathon. There were many runners there both in the chalets and camping. We didn't find it too noisy at night and we were only about 30 metres from the Bar/Restaurant. The chalets are even further away. 

There is a shuttle bus that runs all day to Port Maillot Metro on the M1 line that runs to the centre of the City. You can buy the Paris Visite Card which includes the shuttle bus trips from the Camp Reception. 

We just happen to love Paris and although the campground is old (we stayed here many times back in the 70's) it is the only one with quick and reliable transport to the city. All the other camping grounds are 'out of town' with longer traveling times.

There is also the new T2 Light Rail that runs from La Defence on the M1 line to Porte de Versailles. It stops at Suresnes-Longchamp, which is just a short walk across the Suresnes bridge to the campsite. The campsite is just next to the bridge. 
There is also a regular local bus that runs from Porte Maillot (same Bus Stop as the camp shuttle) and stops next the the bridge - Route 244 Les Moulins-Camping Bus Stop. So day or night there is always a quick and reliable service back to the camping ground. 

Hi Peter

I checked out the Marathon route an although the last stage goes through the Bois de Boulogne along Alle de Longchamp it does not interfere with the Shuttle Bus route to Porte Maillot so the street closures shouldn't affect you getting to the start.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the earliest time the Shuttle Bus leaves, but considering that a lot of runners will be staying at the camping ground it's a pretty good bet they will have an early service for  all the starters staying at the camping ground. You can email to find out.

The shuttle bus trip to the Metro is about 10-15 mins and it's 5 stops from Porte Maillot Metro to Champs Elysee-Clemenceau. The total time on a Sunday morning is about 30 mins.

Archived