NEC afterthoughts

longtemps

Just returned from a very enjoyable show. My impressions were that the dealers were having to work much harder to get people to commit to anything, and that the foreign built manufacturers have actually closed the gap significantly on prices. Many of the foreign coachbuilts on show now compete very well on price with their UK built counterparts. UK panel converters however, seem to have gone the other way and are now, I feel in danger of pricing themselves out of the market, particularly on their terms of trade. I was asked for a deposit of 15% from one manufacturer and a massive 25% from another! Who in their right mind would put down that amount of money in the current climate? I settled on a UK coachbuilt and was asked for a deposit of £1000. If I am unfortunate and they go bust before delivery, a £1k loss is liveable with, but with the converter I was interested in I would be loosing a massive £16000!!, after all of the add on's etc.. A no brainer, m'thinks.

Anyway, a good show, well worth visiting, but as usual absolutely essential that you are well prepared because if anything, buying a van is getting more and more complicated. After 3 days of tramping, comparing and evaluating my head was spinning and to cap it all I was held up for 4 hours on the motorway north going home - but that's another story!

Guest JudgeMental
sean.clarke - 2012-10-19 12:04 PM

Don't forget, if that if the deposit was paid through a credit card then you will receive protection from the business failing.

Exactly, let credit card co take the risk...

This large deposit malarkey is like giving a builder a large deposit before they start work! it is simply not done! If the builder is any good he should have accounts with suppliers and be financially stable enough to get paid on results! Same goes for van builders IMO *-)

German manufacturers have economies of scale and produce better cheaper vans because if it..I could get a decent LHD Hymer 322 van for 32K whereas some UK vans start at 45K and have low spec, having to pay extra for electric step and seat swivels for a start.....Its laughable to be honest

JudgeMental - 2012-10-19 12:48 PM

Don't forget, if that if the deposit was paid through a credit card then you will receive protection from the business failing.

This large deposit malarkey is like giving a builder a large deposit before they start work! it is simply not done! If the builder is any good he should have accounts with suppliers and be financially stable enough to get paid on results! Same goes for van builders IMO *-)

German manufacturers have economies of scale and produce better cheaper vans because if it..I could get a decent LHD Hymer 322 van for 32K whereas some UK vans start at 45K and have low spec, having to pay extra for electric step and seat swivels for a start.....Its laughable to be honest

Eddie the two worst built of the many vans we looked at were German, both from the Hymer group, one from Carado was so bad it was laughable, time you stopped banging this drum, simply not true any more. One of our two favorite vans was the Adria Coral S670, great build quality, nice van but everything was an extra, not even a spare wheel, even the Swift group supply this now. I agree it is laughable but not confined to UK vans I am afraid they are all at it.

One thing that bother me regarding cost/prices is, how can you tell if the unit being contempated is good enough for you ?

You may have previous experiences of vans usages, but how can you tell if the fitted components do what you expect them to do ?

I bought new at last years show, taking delivery this year of course (not ready until March 2012) to find the SAT/Nav/media unit is unfit for purpose, as it is inferior to other brands, and now identified as a Chinese cheapy, but maker of van says I ought to have asked !!

What do I ask. Why does the SAT/Nav keep disconnecting from satelitte ? Why does the rear view camera only work when in reverse, not as others can do, show frontal views as well.

These are the pitfalls of embarking on an expensive purchase without knowing all the facts.

Guest JudgeMental
rupert123 - 2012-10-19 1:11 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-10-19 12:48 PM

Eddie the two worst built of the many vans we looked at were German, both from the Hymer group, one from Carado was so bad it was laughable, time you stopped banging this drum, simply not true any more. One of our two favorite vans was the Adria Coral S670, great build quality, nice van but everything was an extra, not even a spare wheel, even the Swift group supply this now. I agree it is laughable but not confined to UK vans I am afraid they are all at it.

Carado a budget van..you get what you pay for. Hymer was just an example as discussed on other thread today. Adria very good and nearly bought a CB in 2007. would happily pay for spare wheel as would never consider swift even if they could get near German prices. They have to make them "appear" attractive don't they as they cant compare on quality

so you have bought another Swift.....Oh Lordy

we all have our views on manufacturers and for me I thought that three manufacturers stood out head and shoulders above the rest,one was Adria, one was Hymer and the other was Niesmann+Bischoff, all oozing quality. I looked closely at Auto-Roller and wasn't surprised, they still haven't got their heads round making a proper joint without lashings of sealant all over the place. What are they trying to cover up? I spoke to two salesmen about the Whale heaters that are now common place in some new motorhomes and caravans and they both said that they thought they were far to noisy in operation, why they are fitting them when the tried and tested Truma is available that is far quieter is strange.

Yes but what if they dont take payment by CREDIT CARD as was our experience??

foresight is a wonderful thing !! if ONLY too late now!!!

Guest JudgeMental

Dont take credit cards? Do they operate out of a garden shed as well......

some of these merchants are only operating because creditors allow them to...Can pull the plug at any time. Please do a check into the financials of any company you are considering. I was ordering an expensive bike recently and company wanted a 50% deposit..Checked on line and I had ,more in my current account then them :-S

.....but be aware that the protection is only operative where the total value of the transaction is between £100 and £30,000.

A deposit is seen as comprising only a part of the overall transactio.

So, for example, there would be no protection in the case of a £1000 deposit against a motorhome to be invoiced at a total of £30,500.

A common assumption but it only applies if the total transaction i.e. the total of the deposit and the balance is less than £3000 above that you will loose your deposit.

Colin Leake - 2012-10-19 7:08 PM

A common assumption but it only applies if the total transaction i.e. the total of the deposit and the balance is less than £3000 above that you will loose your deposit.

I'm assuming that's a "typo" Colin, because, as in my previous post, the upper limit is definitely £30,000. ;-)

Robinhood - 2012-10-19 7:34 PM

Colin Leake - 2012-10-19 7:08 PM

I'm assuming that's a "typo" Colin, because, as in my previous post, the upper limit is definitely £30,000. ;-)

Colin is obviously accounting for 'depreciation'!!!! (lol) (lol) (lol) (lol)

We`ve given up on motorhomes gone back to a caravan, after twelve years and three vans, going to buy a Jag or similar and tow in luxury rather than rattling along. Ordered a Lunar Arriva seemed far more spacious than our PVC, relatively cheap and light as a feather so will continue touring around just as we have always done.

One other reason for going back to a caravan is the depreciation suffered on the vans now, a car depreciates even more but at least it does`nt just sit on the drive all winter!

We had a look at many motorhomes and the one that we liked the most was the new Tag Axel Hymer, it was priced at £97K which was too much for us. We did get offered the same that we paid for our current motorhome so that was good, but the balance was still too much to pay.

Was it our imagination or was the prices going sky hight this year? There were a lot locked up because they were sold, so there must be money about, just not in our pocket :-S

mirage - 2012-10-21 8:54 PM

We`ve given up on motorhomes gone back to a caravan, after twelve years and three vans, going to buy a Jag or similar and tow in luxury rather than rattling along. Ordered a Lunar Arriva seemed far more spacious than our PVC, relatively cheap and light as a feather so will continue touring around just as we have always done.

One other reason for going back to a caravan is the depreciation suffered on the vans now, a car depreciates even more but at least it does`nt just sit on the drive all winter!

Should this not be on caravan forum because I doubt anyone on here cares.

I think it's entirely relevant. 

I believe most motorhomes are just used as caravans anyway and their owners would, if truth be told, be better off all round if they, like this owner, had the ability to properly analyse their actual needs.

It might make people think and save them from the expensive purchase of something utterly inappropriate.

rupert123 - 2012-10-22 10:16 AM

Some of us DO Care. We are thing along the same lines, a caravan would suit our style of holidays now, and are thinking along the same lines. Done most of the touring and like to stay put for longer, so a caravan would suit us now. Only problem don't really like towing!

Yet again, WHY such a comment....of course it is relevant, we DO care, and we are obviously not the only ones thinking of both or either modes of living/travelling.

So YES we ARE interested in other peoples opinions,and we also respect other peoples points of view - regardless of whether we agree with them. Everyone is entitiled to their opinions, and to express them.

We ( occasionally ) tow a tag axle Bailey with our PVC, much easier than towing with a car.

This is totally uncalled for, such comments are not helpful.

Archived