NEC afterthoughts

longtemps

Guest JudgeMental
colin - 2012-10-22 7:46 PM

One of the things we hoped to see was a Mobilsat i-sat, but never saw any, there was a new auto sat 'dish' being sold 'Snipe' at £600 to £700 it's starting to make auto systems a bit better value

looks neat and cheap! :-D

blimey....it even skews automatically

Hi

Would not hesitate to buy a foreign Coach-built or A Class, but as we tend to stay on a site with EHU etc. we prefer a hob which incorporates an Electric ring... Also many of the Euro Vans had Ovens which my OH had difficulty reaching, found this amazing, taking out a hot Sunday roast from an Oven at head height!!

So will stick with UK at present, unless someone can point me to a Van that has what we want..

Robinhood - 2012-10-19 7:34 PM

Colin Leake - 2012-10-19 7:08 PM

sean.clarke - 2012-10-19 12:04 PM

Don't forget, if that if the deposit was paid through a credit card then you will receive protection from the business failing.

A common assumption but it only applies if the total transaction i.e. the total of the deposit and the balance is less than £3000 above that you will loose your deposit.

I'm assuming that's a "typo" Colin, because, as in my previous post, the upper limit is definitely £30,000. ;-)

Just testing.

mirage - 2012-10-21 8:54 PM

We`ve given up on motorhomes gone back to a caravan, after twelve years and three vans, going to buy a Jag or similar and tow in luxury rather than rattling along. Ordered a Lunar Arriva seemed far more spacious than our PVC, relatively cheap and light as a feather so will continue touring around just as we have always done.

One other reason for going back to a caravan is the depreciation suffered on the vans now, a car depreciates even more but at least it does`nt just sit on the drive all winter!

Just ignore the crass comment of the member from Bedgellert. Your well thought out decision is bound to rankle with someone who downsized to a brand new PVC and now wants to offload it quickly because it is too small for him.

He would have been extremely upset if he had the same sort of response when he started a thread about his (expensive) mistake. But hey .... if you are looking for a friendly forum, you need to go elsewhere.

We`ve given up on motorhomes gone back to a caravan, after twelve years and three vans, going to buy a Jag or similar and tow in luxury rather than rattling along. Ordered a Lunar Arriva seemed far more spacious than our PVC, relatively cheap and light as a feather so will continue touring around just as we have always done.

One other reason for going back to a caravan is the depreciation suffered on the vans now, a car depreciates even more but at least it does`nt just sit on the drive all winter!

Everyone to their own. We had a caravan for 18 years and enjoyed every minute of that way of life. We have moved on, have had a PVC and now have a coach built motorhome. New on the last day of March but already done 4.5 k miles and not intending to lay it up for the winter.

JudgeMental - 2012-10-23 2:42 PM

One of the things we hoped to see was a Mobilsat i-sat, but never saw any, there was a new auto sat 'dish' being sold 'Snipe' at £600 to £700 it's starting to make auto systems a bit better value

Colin,

Do you remember which distributor was selling the Snipe ? after viewing the link that Judge Mental provided,it looks a nice piece of kit .

auntyjanet1 - 2012-10-23 9:49 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-10-23 2:42 PM

Colin,

Do you remember which distributor was selling the Snipe ? after viewing the link that Judge Mental provided,it looks a nice piece of kit .

Sorry I can't remember at all, it was on at least two stands, when I got home I googled snipe sat but got no UK results, I've just had a look at the show guide as I remember roughly where the stands where but there's no listing for 12-192 and 12-93 which was my best guess

p.s. as it's new to UK I guess will appear on retailer websites over the next couple of months

The actual panel is made by Selfsat, the same as our Camos Flatsat which is performing well down here in Spain (Sitges). There are a number of these panels being used on auto seeking bases down here but far more dish shaped units. Ours is a manual job but the price of the auto one looks good especially with skew adjustment.

747 - 2012-10-23 5:23 PM

Just ignore the crass comment of the member from Bedgellert. Your well thought out decision is bound to rankle with someone who downsized to a brand new PVC and now wants to offload it quickly because it is too small for him.

He would have been extremely upset if he had the same sort of response when he started a thread about his (expensive) mistake. But hey .... if you are looking for a friendly forum, you need to go elsewhere.

Upset, not at all, why would I be. I just say what I think, do not expect others to always agree. I made a mistake and perfectly happy to admit it, although not to have made it, but what I did not do was annouce it on a caravan forum.

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2012-10-24 10:15 AM

The actual panel is made by Selfsat, the same as our Camos Flatsat which is performing well down here in Spain (Sitges). There are a number of these panels being used on auto seeking bases down here but far more dish shaped units. Ours is a manual job but the price of the auto one looks good especially with skew adjustment.

Really? Surprised something so small works in Spain...what channels do you get please? as might well go for one. the self skewing must make a difference?

When Astra 2F comes on stream shortly we shall probably all be looking to buy larger dishes as the footprints will change.

At present it is possible to receive UK programmes in Spain on smaller dishes since the temporary change of programming onto Astra 1N (at 28.2) earlier in the year.

I would not contemplate buying a dish until the new satellite with all UK programming comes on stream.

JudgeMental - 2012-10-24 11:34 AM

Really? Surprised something so small works in Spain...what channels do you get please? as might well go for one. the self skewing must make a difference?

Eddie, bear in mind Mike88's post re the change in Astra2 program delivery, but currently we get all Sky sports and most of the movies along with loads of the free tosh channels.

Last night we watched some of Barcelona v Celtic. and later a Bond movie on 007 channel (yes, really).

This is on our home sky+hd box so we get dual record as well as playing our pre-recorded stuff.

We lost BBC in south France and itv up the coast a bit. This far south the pickings are meagre if you are on free to air.

There is a slightly bigger version than ours which can be manually skewed called Plus.

PS which site do you use in Benidorm, we are still moving south, thanks.

Guest pelmetman
Mike88 - 2012-10-24 1:31 PM

At present it is possible to receive UK programmes in Spain on smaller dishes since the temporary change of programming onto Astra 1N (at 28.2) earlier in the year.

How small is small? :-S................I never actually tried it in January, but would my cheapo Aldi kit pick up a signal............I'm not bothered about the soaps *-)..................but I do have a news fetish.......so any English speaking channels will do :D

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2012-10-24 5:05 PM

JudgeMental - 2012-10-24 11:34 AM

Eddie, bear in mind Mike88's post re the change in Astra2 program delivery, but currently we get all Sky sports and most of the movies along with loads of the free tosh channels.

Last night we watched some of Barcelona v Celtic. and later a Bond movie on 007 channel (yes, really).

This is on our home sky+hd box so we get dual record as well as playing our pre-recorded stuff.

We lost BBC in south France and itv up the coast a bit. This far south the pickings are meagre if you are on free to air.

There is a slightly bigger version than ours which can be manually skewed called Plus.

PS which site do you use in Benidorm, we are still moving south, thanks.

Arena Blanca ..Small and decent enough, say hello to Sid I'm missing him! :-D

pelmetman - 2012-10-24 5:18 PM

How small is small? :-S................I never actually tried it in January, but would my cheapo Aldi kit pick up a signal............I'm not bothered about the soaps *-)..................but I do have a news fetish.......so any English speaking channels will do :D

I can't say I'm afraid. At present I can receive many programmes on 65CMS dish in most of Spain but who knows what after 2F is commissioned.

My guess is that your system won't work in Spain when the existing satelllte is taken out of service but I don't know. Anyone buying a system now should either buy the largest dish possible or preferably wait for a couple of months until the new arrangements are introduced.

Guest pelmetman
Mike88 - 2012-10-24 7:25 PM

pelmetman - 2012-10-24 5:18 PM

I can't say I'm afraid. At present I can receive many programmes on 65CMS dish in most of Spain but who knows what after 2F is commissioned.

My guess is that your system won't work in Spain when the existing satelllte is taken out of service but I don't know. Anyone buying a system now should either buy the largest dish possible or preferably wait for a couple of months until the new arrangements are introduced.

I think mine's only 35 cm :'( ................But like you I don't know which way to jump :-S..........buy a whopper or wait for 4 G *-)...................progress eh? *-)

Archived