Carrying Registration Docs abroad

william1

Read a thread a few days ago re the above, and the problems encountered in Spain. Reading an article in the latest 3M's entitled Ferry Guide - under Documents you'll need - no mention is made referencing registration documents - or am I missing something ?

Hi , dont know what the artcal says, as mine will be waiting to be read when I get home next week, You need to carry V5 to prove weight of vehicle , MOT if you need one , Insurance doc, and both parts of your driving licence. All originals not photo copies.Lots of other stuff as well!

Cheers Iain

Hi Patricia;

If our van was stolen, with the doc's hidden, even in a very good place I'd expect them to be found eventually.

I'd also expect my insurers to cover the loss.

So I guess we are just talking about times when we are stopped en-route by someone with authority, but having a digital copy is reassuring. Just thought........include some photo's of the van, might be useful.

cheers

alan b

Iain Strachan - 2012-10-21 6:38 PM

Hi , dont know what the artcal says, as mine will be waiting to be read when I get home next week, You need to carry V5 to prove weight of vehicle , MOT if you need one , Insurance doc, and both parts of your driving licence. All originals not photo copies.

Important note (bib) as no authorities (Police or Customs) will accept photocopies. You have to produce the original documents. I've been stopped twice in Poland by the Police doing vehicle spot checks and they confirmed they would only accept the originals......which fortunately I had.

snowie - 2012-10-21 10:06 PM

Hi Patricia;

If our van was stolen, with the doc's hidden, even in a very good place I'd expect them to be found eventually.

Unfortunately Insurers won't Alan. At least mine wouldn't anyway.

When I got robbed in Spain my driving licence (card type) and Passport which had only just been renewed were amongst the items stolen. I had to pay for a new Passport and haven't bothered to replace my card type driving licence as 1) I have a paper licence, and 2) neither the DVLA or the Police could give me a definite answer as to whether I had to replace this stupid card licence. Some said I did, whilst a DVLA operative told me it was unnecessary.

Bulletguy - 2012-10-22 12:51 PM

snowie - 2012-10-21 10:06 PM

Hi Patricia;

Unfortunately Insurers won't Alan. At least mine wouldn't anyway.

Hi BG; I meant the loss of the vehicle and therefore any related doc's wouldn't be an issue; passport etc is different; disappointed to hear your prob'

cheers

alan b

As you might expect, the Germans have a system that overcomes the problem of the "ownership" document being carried in the van. With any vehicle you have a "Fahrzeugbrief" which is proof of ownership and can be stored safely at home. You carry a "Fahrzeugschien" with the vehicle. This is a smaller document that certifies weights etc

I learned about this when I imported my truck and suggested to the Secretary of State for transport that the UK might introduce something similar. That was 6 years ago and the minister's answer was "there are no immediate plans to do so" . Hmm no change there then.

We're in Germany at present and something else I note the Germs have got sorted... Traffic lights... If traffic is light or it's "out of hours" they turn them off. It must save millions of kWh in electricity. (not to mention wasted fuel with vehicles sitting stationary at junctions where nothing's coming the other way.

We've been stopped in Austria to check all documents, I think I overwhelmed the guy as I had every document imaginable including the original invoice for van!!!!! I also have all docs on a memory stick as a back up plus family have a copy of all docs and could e mail them to me easily but then I am a bit belts and braces lol

Archived