Strange warning light

bodach

Earlier this week came up from Stranraer in torrential rain.Once you get north of Girvan there are average speed cameras but pretty fast progress is possible.At Stevenston we noticed the "waste tank full" warning light was on. This was obviously not the case as the large opening valve was fully open and the tank empty so carried on regardless.About150 miles further on the weather had improved and we had sunshine so when we stopped at my son's house it seemed a good idea to get out and under for a look around.As I reversed into his driveway the light went out ! The only thing remakable was a wire which had obviously been detached from a contact on the side of the tank near the bottom and tucked safely out of the way to stop it dangling..Fiddling about with this it seemed to have no useful function and had obviously been like this since we bought the van last year and had never noticed it.Light has not reappeared.The only theory I have is very heavy spray on the underside of the vehicle may have activated this. Any other ideas? Has anyone else found anything similar? The van is a McLouis with a rear mounted tank.

This is quite a common problem where the dirt ( especialy of salt in winter) and damp causes a conductive path between the two terminals or cable connectors, hence the warning light switches on.

Cure is to clean the sides of the tank and then grease the connectors with waterproof grease or vaseline. Problem cured for ever more.....well has worked for me fo 8 years so far. Light did come on again last year but was caused by excess dirt built up inside the tank There shoud be two connection cables, one to near top of tank probe, and one to probe near the botton.

Jon.

Archived