700 WATT INVERTER WIRING?

Charles Chodkowski

A word of warning if you use a 700 watt invertor at it's full capacity it will take approx 60 amps per hour from your battery (700watt/12volt = 58.3amp). A standard, fully charged leisure battery would last just over an hour when discharging at this rate.

However if you wish to continue I would suggest that you have the cable run from the invertor to the battery as short as possible (to minimse volt drop losses) and the fuse next to the battery (to protect the battery from a catastrophic short circuit).

It is easier, cheaper and safer to have very short 12v cable and a longer 240v cable.

4 meters from the battery to the inverter is far too far. Can it not be sited close to the battery as the cables should be kept as short as possible (1/2 meter max).

The fuse would need to be a minimum of 60amp (80amp to cope with short periods of running over the 700w) and sited as close as possible to the battery positive terminal.

If you really must have the inverter so far from the battery bank you should use this table to decide on the gauge of cable to use http://www.btc-bci.com/~billben/maxwire.pdf

I have an 1100 watt inverter and have used arc welder/starter cable about 18" long and installed it as close to the batteries as possible and have a lead to connect it to my 240v ouside socket on the van. But my batteries are installed in an outside slide out drawer. You will also need to turn off the trip to the onboard charger/electroblock at the consumer unit if you do it this way, or it will be trying to charge the battery with it's own supply, not good.

Archived