A bike, mororbike, Smart or.....micro?

snowie

I spotted this when looking for "micro-cars", as I'm currently looking for ways my wife and I can become more mobile whilst on holidays in our van.

I have only just read this, so I'm not posting it as anything more than a...... "what do you think"?

Cost, safety, weight etc etc are all issues to consider, but may be no more onerous than a scooter or a Smart car I would suggest.

This option looks like a bit of fun!

http://www.insideline.com/features/micro-motoring-in-france.html

regards

alan b

My wife and I pondered the same problem. Looked at scooters and decided that it was not wet friendly and we would have to house helmets, decent riding gear etc

Investigated Smarts on trailers as more a "covered scooter " than a car..

Decided on a Toyota IQ as a car and maybe use a trailer. It is an auto so no need to get into A frame debate !

Later looked at trailers, and then decided that it was too much hassle.

So we ended up with two electric "Freego" bikes. Tow-bar rack, they are easier to carry, No need for MOTs, Insurance (as in motor) lower maintenance costs and healthier. Good for 40 miles of hilly cycling on a charge.

If we need a car, we hire at the site. You can get a lot of hire-age for the price of a trailer.

That's the way we do it (lol)

Rgds

Guest JudgeMental
pepe63 - 2012-10-23 4:24 PM

Weren't those Qpod buggy things something to do with Noel Edmonds at one stage?(..did he fund 'em or something..)

http://www.qpod.co.uk/qpod-vehicle.php

..they do look like fun ...although I dare say it comes "at a price"... (lol)

( a price,which I can't seem to find at the moment.... :-S )

I sat in one on the Aire at Le Touquet a few years ago......a bit tight especially with leg room and I'm only 5.10. Happy for the foreseeable with our electric bikes, far more comfortable and easy to transport.....

tonyishuk - 2012-10-23 6:27 PM

My wife and I pondered the same problem. Looked at scooters and decided that it was not wet friendly and we would have to house helmets, decent riding gear etc

If we need a car, we hire at the site. You can get a lot of hire-age for the price of a trailer.

Rgds

I have to say that at this moment, electric bikes and car hire look a good compromise.

Been investigating passing my mo-bike test and all the gear, and it doesn't stack up, so car+trailer+ more expensive ferries etc etc is never going to work.

cheers

alan b

Whatever you get will be a compromise. Our scooter is great, goes on a rack so no towing required, is superb fun, does 80mpg and 60mph but in the winter its a challenge and in 2010 we crashed it on some black Ice at Windermere (Our fault for going out I suppose). More than a few miles in the depths of winter is not nice but pootling around the Alps, Pyrenees or St Tropez harbour when its 30 degrees in shorts and T shirts is what its made for. Wet weather gear and helmets can be stored in the top box and underseat storage and of course you can park it anywhere.

IF however I had to use a trailer then I think this would weigh the odds of a smart car or similar much more in favour. I am considering a toad for the winter as I may start some work projects away from home so in effect we may end up with both. A bike for summer and a toad for winter?

We had one of these ( qpod guise ) from 2005 until this year. Great fun and always a good talking piont. Used it all over france and belgium as well as going to the local.Beware though tax was £120.00 ayear and insurance was hard to get and was around £150.00.Spares are EXPENSIVE a rear mudguard £90.00 and exhaust over £ 200.00!!!!. If you go down this route you will also need to consider new rear tyres at regular intervals unless you use a trailer.Sadly it has now been sold and we use raleigh electric bikes. Much easier no towing no problems with aires and healthier to boot not only in person but in wallet B-)

snowie - 2012-10-23 7:26 PM

tonyishuk - 2012-10-23 6:27 PM

Rgds

I have to say that at this moment, electric bikes and car hire look a good compromise.

alan b

If you are going down the Lecy Bike route, there is a good site http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/ Also We have Freego bikes, Impressed with the service and you can try before you buy, and buy the ones you try !

http://www.freegoelectricbikes.com/

Rgds

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions;

I've been trying to resolve our problems since our first trip, when we had a Fiamma cycle carrier hung off the rear door of our Ducato. We took two full-size bikes with us, and by the end of the 6-week holiday I was sick of lifting the bikes on and off the carrier, and absolutely convinced that slamming the rear door with bikes on it was a short-term arrangement.

I'm still open to folding bikes that will fit in our "boot"( for short trips at any rate ), but folding electrics I'm not sure. I also dislike small wheel bikes.

I spotted a perfect bike-carrier when we were in Amiens, on the back of a Dutch van, no need to remove bikes to open rear doors; trouble was it cost the earth €1700!!!

busbiker01.jpeg

If I could find one at a sensible price this would be my choice, to carry my bike and a full-size electric for my wife. Job done.

Financially; I think this stacks up. Passing my mo-bike test, buying a scooter , carrier/trailer and two sets of gear has to cost £4K min?

That should cover an electric bike, carrier, and a few weeks car hire; I think?

cheers

alan b

681480436_vanrearview.jpg.621e5eb6a6d6a96442d54e70a43abb14.jpg

busbiker02.jpg.adbcad4fd5ae06c6307102a088b2d856.jpg

Guest JudgeMental

I dont really get this obsession with small cars..a combination of public transport and electric bikes does us and its far more enjoyable and healthier then driving. Better for the blood pressure also as less frustrating.....

cycling simply makes you feel so much better....

I don't think it's an obsession to have a smart, our diesal is road tax free, low insurance,accurate consumption of 63 mpg, we can travel many miles from base in reasonable comfort and park up very easily.

We have not taken it to the continent yet as m/h parking and sites a much more convenient.

I do indeed use the smart for all short journeys at home for economy reasons.

trooper - 2012-10-26 4:26 PM

We have not taken it to the continent yet as m/h parking and sites a much more convenient.

I do indeed use the smart for all short journeys at home for economy reasons.

Hi Don;

I'd quite like a Smart; for local use, but admit that the decision to have a campervan was in order to avoid towing (of a caravan), so towing a trailer with a car or mo-bike on it would be a retrograde step. I'd consider a decent towcar, and a gutted T@b though, but it all gets too complicated!

I'm going elec assisted bike(s)and car hire,

cheers

alan b

Guest JudgeMental

that was one of the things that put me of..as having to unload every time to demonstrate to a ferry/tunnel offical that gas turned oft would be a pain.

that swing out model looks the nuts.....come on Pepe! :D

Trooper, obsession a bad choice of words.. :-S

JudgeMental - 2012-10-26 6:33 PM

that was one of the things that put me of..as having to unload every time to demonstrate.........

that swing out model looks the nuts.....come on Pepe! :D

-S

I've had to open up the back doors 4 times now in 10 crossings; 1 in France and 3 in UK; and wish I could turn gas off in the "boot" but have to crawl underneath.

It is "the dog's wottsits" but what a price.

If I could find one in uk I'd buy tomorrow; I'm thinking of doing a sketch and getting it priced. Would I need any "type approval"?

cheers

alan b

Morning all,

Turning the gas on and off was a problem I foresaw when I put a scooter on the back so I cut ahole in the side on the inside with a trapdoor so I can reach in from the boot, pulling a few items out and putting them on the bed is easier than taking the scooter off. I have not been asked by anyone whether the gas is on or off. (Adria twin)

norm

In our years of travelling with gaslow have never been asked to turn it off on dover/calsis ferries, indeed have never been asked if it is off. Our current autosleeper has a fixed gas tank which is buried under the van with as far as I can see no turn off valve. Their are seperate valves internally to turn off boiler, cooker and fridge. As we intend selling it not a great problem to us but wonder at the reaction by ferry companies if we are ever asked about it. Suspect most employies of the companies would not know the differance if just showed them the tap of say the boiler and turned this off.

Guest JudgeMental

It is Eurotunnel that are hot on this checking gas.....ferries tend not to care less... *-)

That is two orders then Snowie :-D where is Pepe when you need him.......I wonder how it fixes to van though.

On IPad so don't know how to copy links but www.reimo.de have a large selection of motorbike and bike racks..you can view in English. Lots of chassis extensions as well that some may find useful. On our summer tour saw lots of German vans with scooter racks

Only had gas checked once, at Newhaven; other times looking for unwanted travellers. Crawling under van to turn off at tank is a pain, but not so bad when you 're not holding up a line of traffic.

Strange also that I always used to approach the tank from nearside, and used to curse restricted access due to the "Omni-Step". Once I discovered how easy it is from off-side; no problem. Just don't do it at the roadside!

alan b

Archived