Finland

Robinhood

.....at the risk of upsetting Mr Kirby with such a general question......... ;-)

In considering destinations for Summer next year, Finland (via Denmark and Sweden) is fairly high on the list.

The possible itinerary is via Esbjerg, Stockholm, ferry to Turku or Helsinki, and then North round the Gulf of Bothnia, and back via Northern Sweden. 3 to 4 weeks from the beginning of June.

We're experienced as far as Norway, Denmark and Sweden are concerned, and fully accept that Finland will have a lot of trees and lakes (and possibly little else - not a problem given our Swedish experience), but as a country, to us it is a "closed book", and the language looks like it might be an "interesting" challenge. :-D

So, has anybody any experience and/or recommendations they'd like to share?

Hi Robin.... I shall watch this thread closely, having thought that this would be a terrific place to "wild-camp" in the purest sense of the term. The last thing I read on this subject was very sensible, and I have no argument with it, but it suggested that "wild-camping" as defined by Finnish law rules out motorhomes/campervans and the like, and applies only to tents or bivvies. Motorized camping, even driving slightly off road in order to camp is not encouraged.

I think this is very sensible (if I understood correctly) but experiencing the natural beauty of the country with a mh would be tricky.

I hope you find a way to do it

regards

alan b

Guest JudgeMental
We have been up to Swedish Lapland 3 times and love it......no knowledge of Finland but suspect it is even more expensive but not sure...just read up on it I guess

It is unlike the other Scandinavian countries. There are plenty of campsites but I frequently overnighted off formal sites. The country is vast and sparsely populated and camping overnight was not an issue. They people like their outdoors and it isn't unusual to find other nocturnal movements, mainly, I suspect hunters / fishermen. They turn up at the most isolated places but then just do whatever it is they do, utterly uninterested in the nervous tourist.

That attitude prevailed, the people generally just get on with their own thing and completely ignored me - there was just no curiosity at all. That's not to say they were not friendly when directly approached.

Probably less English spoken than the other Nordic countries and the language is absolutely mind-boggling. It isn't even close to anything else.

In summer they go nuts and you will often see young kids going for a swim in one of the many lakes at 10pm or later. Speaking of lakes, public swimming is promoted and you'll often find a changing hut, jetty, and a lifebelt at the side of a vast lake. They are there to be used and they are popular. No one seems to get excited about the fact there aren't a dozen lifeguards and an air-sea rescue helicopter nearby.

Many of the (non main) roads are unsealed but are passable.

I was left with the feeling that I never really 'got' it. Weird place.

....thanks for the personal feedback, "crinkly". It was what I was looking for.

I quite like "weird" places, it helps to put one's own ideas and lifestyle into some perspective (and sometimes causes one to change them!).

Part of the attraction of going was to try to do something not too challenging, but a bit different.

Change your time (spring) or take lots of mozzie repellant. It was eons of years ago but the only thing I remember about Finland in the summer was the mozzies.We did Finland on our big OE Norway Sweden Finland through Russia on to Austria many years ago.The country is full of lakes almost 25% plus water great breading grounds.We stayed on one campsite in the north very unkempt, long grass, on the next site, some one arrived and and emerged complete with what can only be described as bee keeping attire on and proceeded to pitch his tent whilst we watched on windows firmley closed.I remember we sent a card to family the gist of which was mozzies chasing the tourists away they saved it stil have it. Great country but for the summer mozzies enjoy.

p.s. watch out for the reindeer in the northern villages they roam free.

pps.Just reread some of the previouse posts, in the north there is no nocturnal your in the land of the midnight sun,even the local livestock were not sure if they should be asleep or awake

Guest JudgeMental

It can be the same up in swedish lapland, the sky black with them..but would still go again

whether its worth going to Finland when Norway and Sweden have so much to offer is the question....

....thanks for all those; keep 'em coming. ;-)

jsbc - 2012-10-28 8:28 AM

Great country but for the summer mozzies enjoy.

...much like Scotland and the midges, then. :-)

The mozzies are an acknowledged issue, but we will be well equipped with Deet. Northern Sweden was also rumoured to be an problem, but we haven't suffered unduly there.

JudgeMental - 2012-10-28 8:40 AM

whether its worth going to Finland when Norway and Sweden have so much to offer is the question....

....but, having been to both these (and Denmark) a number of times, the "wanderlust" kicks in. ;-)

George Collings - 2012-10-28 9:05 AM

I think it was on a trip to Hungary that I was told that Hungarian and Finnish were very distantly related and unlike any other language in the world.

...indeed. I'm reasonably practical with (European) languages, and can get by in most places. Reading is, of course, easier than speaking (particularly Portuguese :-S ), but it looks as though Finnish might be "interesting".

Archived