Box Trailer Ramp Loading...

dwaviation

I am moving house in very slow time and we have bought a 6' High 8' Long box trailer with a ramp which, after the boring stuff I would like to use for transporting my Burgman 650 Scooter. The ramp is 6' long and 4' wide and consists of 12mm ply set in an angle iron frame. My Burgman weighs 270kgs 8-) and 70% of the weight is on the rear wheel... Question. Will my bike drive up the ramp or straight through the ramp *-) I have been thinking about it for a while and I think I might need some 1" box section across the back to beef it up and stop possible bending but am I over engineering it?

Personalty I would beef it up. There may be times when you have load/unload when the trailer & tailgate are slightly twisted.

The load between the hinges would have to be spread to stop the tailgate bowing in the middle and causing an obstruction as the front wheel meets the flat of the trailer bed.

I would also lay some grip paper (Sticky backed grit paper) where the wheels and your boots go, to stop any sliding or slipping in wet weather.

Rgds

Archived