croatia

derek pringle

Hi All,

the wife and I fancy incorporating about 3 weeks in Croatia and Slovenia as part of our next years hols.The other countries we will pass through we know will not be a problem regarding insurances and driving etc.

Any tips or do's and don'ts would be greatly appreciated as there is nothing like the voice of actual experiences. We have a 4tonne maxi chassis-approx 8mtrs long including bikes.Thanks

cheers

derek

JudgeMental - 2012-10-29 11:17 AM

Hi Derek..Lots of info in past threads on Croatia.....Happy reading!:-D

If you have any specific questions happy to help as we have been there last 2 summers....

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=Croatia&author=&days=&Submit=Search

hi Eddie, thanks for this,I will troll through it and will pm you if you don't mind when I have some specifics.

I have already seen the pics you posted and the trip looks great , I may ask for names of places to go along with these pics.

cheers

derek

Hi Derek;

Only thing I'd really add, is that with an 8M van I'd probably avoid the ACSI campsite; Autocamp Rozac @ Trogir. The road from Trogir to the site is "unpleasant" narrow and some awkward corners.

Not only did it test my driving skills and patience in face of adversity, but it also tested our Ducato's uphill reversing capability ( it's had the mod's). We were leaving the site, heading into and through Trogir, when we met a lorry carrying reinforcement fabric (steel mesh) overhanging to rear and sides!, coming round a blind bend. There was nowhere for either of us to go; so I had to reverse back up the hill and round the bend! It was a one in a thousand? chance, maybe, but I was glad to be 6M long and comparatively narrow. You will be used considering size when to planning your routes anyway I suppose.

Croatia; beautiful. Islands I think we will go back and spend more time,

cheers

alan b

Guest JudgeMental

But Snowie it was one of the nicest site/areas on Croatian part of trip...

Derek best ask on here, as you may get some alternative views..... but if you want info of dens of iniquity by all means PM moi :D

JudgeMental - 2012-10-29 2:29 PM

Derek best ask on here, as you may get some alternative views..... but if you want info of dens of iniquity by all means PM moi :D

Judge;

Trogir was really nice; had a good fish meal there, nice interesting walk around old town, and a good water-taxi back to the site. Very nice beach between the water-taxi drop off point and the campsite, we thought much nicer than beach adjacent campsite.

Not my sort of campsite though, as said elsewhere i.e Hurt Locker. If you've seen the film I'll just say this;

A dozen or so hook-up cables radiating from an electricity cabinet, and vans picking their way over other people's cables when the time came to move on. Not my idea of a well organized site I'm afraid. I'm tempted to say it was the low point of our trip, but the town more than made up for it.

As you rightly say; different people different views;

cheers

alan b

JudgeMental - 2012-10-29 2:29 PM

Eddie, Dens of iniquity would be wasted on me as when we get undressed now we can't do anything for laughing ha

cheers

derek

Guest JudgeMental

One of the reasons we changed to the panel van was to avoid these bottom clenching moments.......much better for the BP and wallet as well :-D

You have to go into Split which is nearby also a visit Plitvicka national park a must.....,Pag , Rab and Krk islands are where I would go again.....

highlight of this summer tour was undoubtedly Tuscany though....

Archived