Any tablet pc experts out there ... I'm confused!!!

Mel B

Hubby has just bought a 10.2" tablet off Ebay, virtually identical to this one but with only 4gb of built in storage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-1-Tablet-PC-Android-4-0-cortex-1-5GHZ-A8-Proces-1GHZ-DDR3-8GB-GPS-antenna-/321000785924?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item4abd234804

It arrived today and it is a lovely piece of kit despite some of the reviewers being rather less than 'polite' about it! The screen is extremely good to use and the touch sensitivity is just right, sound is very good and the 'Fruit Ninja' game on it is great!

Anyway, I have a question, it has 2 USB ports:

1: a standard type USB 2.0 high speed port

2: a USB 2.0 OTG (device) port - I'm trying to get my head round what it is meant for as you can't use it as a 'standard' USB port.

As far as I can ascertain it is meant to allow linking of equipment using the USB OTG lead (with 2 'male' ends on). The USB OTG port isn't powered so whatever is linked has to have its own power source.

Can someone explain in very simple terms how this is used and what benefit it has ... I'm going boggle-eyed trying to find it a simple explanation on the web!!!! 8-)

From Wikipedia:

USB On-The-Go, often abbreviated USB OTG, is a specification that allows USB devices such as digital audio players or mobile phones to act as a host, allowing other USB devices like a USB flash drive, mouse, or keyboard to be attached to them. Unlike conventional USB systems, USB OTG systems can drop the hosting role and act as normal USB devices when attached to another host. This can be used to allow a mobile phone to act as host for a flash drive and read its contents, downloading music for instance, but then act as a flash drive when plugged into a host computer and allow the host to read off the new content.

From Webopedia:

Short for USB On-The-Go, an extension of the USB 2.0 specification for connecting peripheral devices to each other. USB OTG products can communicate with each other without the need to be connected to a PC. For example, a digital camera can connect to a PDA, or a mobile phone can connect to a printer or a scanner, as long as all the devices are USB OTG-compatible. USB OTG grew from the increasing need for portable devices to be able to communicate with each other as the culture of technology moves away from a PC-centric world.

One of the important features of USB OTG is that the standard does not require a host PC in order for the devices to communicate. USB OTG devices, known as dual-role peripherals, can act as limited hosts or peripherals themselves depending on how the cables are connected to the devices, and they also can connect to a host PC.

double Dutch

Thanks Colin, but as this is a tablet how does it relate to that? I have a keyboard in a case which goes with the tablet and plugs into the 'standard' USB but would like to use a mouse too - how would I do that? Or can't I???? :-S

I have a non-powered USB hub but if I plug that into the 'standard' USB port and plug in the keyboard and mouse only the keyboard will work ...

Still confused of Cottingham!!!! :D

Archived