What is a 'large' van?

Craftsman

Can anyone help? I suppose it is subjective but what actually consitutes a large van? I have read many articles about visiting various places and see comments like, 'those with large vans may struggle negotiating the coast road' etc.

Now I know about American RV's and always thought of them in a class of their own, then there are panel van conversions at the lower end of the scale. So does this mean that all coachbuilts are 'large vans', or is it down to that mystical 6 metre length that so many seem to have as a requisite?

I have a 6.6m van and would have thought this was medium sized as opposed to large but what is the common thought out there?

Guest pelmetman

Anything that won't fit in a supermarket parking space ;-)

We fit ;-).........but as a coachbuilt on a swb we are also more maneuverable than the average PVC :D

Craftsman - 2012-10-30 12:50 PM

I have a 6.6m van and would have thought this was medium sized as opposed to large but what is the common thought out there?

You'll never get a consensus on here !

( Well, very rarely).

I suppose a guide is the view that ferry companies take - anything over 6 metres is ' large '.

( Another guide could be weight - anything over 3500 )

Other than that it's purely a matter of opinion.

In my case, 'large' is anything that I wouldn't want to drive, and won't fit on my drive.

;-)

Ignoring US RVs, I suggest the following motorhome descriptors...

Length:

Up to 5.5m - SHORT

5.5m to 7m - MEDIUM

Over 7m - LONG

Height:

Up to 2.2m - LOW

2.2m to 3m - MEDIUM

Over 3m - HIGH

Width (mirrors folded):

Up to 2m - NARROW

2m to 2.3m - MEDIUM

Over 2.3m - WIDE

In French, the word "large" tends to be used to mean (in English) "wide" or "broad" and, for motorhomes, it's more often than not the vehicle's width that leads to driving difficulties, even though the motorhome may otherwise be relatively low and/or short.

Derek Uzzell - 2012-10-30 2:15 PM

Length:

Up to 5.5m - SHORT

5.5m to 7m - MEDIUM

Over 7m - LONG

Height:

Up to 2.2m - LOW

2.2m to 3m - MEDIUM

Over 3m - HIGH

Width (mirrors folded):

Up to 2m - NARROW

2m to 2.3m - MEDIUM

Over 2.3m - WIDE

It's always tickled me that Autotrail's Hi-Line and Lo-line are both 3.07m high

and the Super Lo-line is 3.03m,

pelmetman - 2012-10-30 12:55 PM

Anything that won't fit in a supermarket parking space ;-)

Hmmmm.........I struggle on my local Morrison with my car (Ford Focus)! The bays are so narrow if there are cars parked either side you can't open the damn doors to put the shopping in! If I go down in my van then I park well away from the shop entrance as that's where its always crammed.

OMG help me !

Clear the roads!

Not insured to drive our MH at the moment cos was involved in hit and run accident two years ago, just got a brand new Mercedes A Class 2 days old, bugger was caught though and prosecuted ;-)

Hubby tells me MH easy to drive but it doesn't have sensors on it or park itself like the car OMG what am I going to do !

Talking of Morrisons, I often see "large" motorhomes in our local store parked across 2 bays.

As the resident attendant is known as being a bit keen, I'm always wary when I park our small 'van there on return from our trips away.

The other day I actualy asked him what his view was of the larger vans occupying two spaces (as we've heard all the nightmare stories of excessive parking charges).

I was quite amazed when he said that he wasn't bothered and that they couldn't be cut in half, could they!

Guest pelmetman
Noodles - 2012-10-31 4:53 PM

We have a super Lo-Line I think it's called this cos it has a polar roof.

Better not keep your tinned food near the roof as it might explode :D

nuevoboy - 2012-10-31 4:43 PM

Talking of Morrisons, I often see "large" motorhomes in our local store parked across 2 bays.

As the resident attendant is known as being a bit keen, I'm always wary when I park our small 'van there on return from our trips away.

The other day I actualy asked him what his view was of the larger vans occupying two spaces (as we've heard all the nightmare stories of excessive parking charges).

I was quite amazed when he said that he wasn't bothered and that they couldn't be cut in half, could they!

Really that's the best way to park on Supermarkets as 99.9% of the population have been programmed to obey......they see a white line and think, "i must fit inside that space". If I see two bays empty, then I drive in the middle. At least I know I will be able to get my doors open!

nuevoboy - 2012-10-30 7:22 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2012-10-30 2:15 PM

Length:

Up to 5.5m - SHORT

5.5m to 7m - MEDIUM

Over 7m - LONG

Height:

Up to 2.2m - LOW

2.2m to 3m - MEDIUM

Over 3m - HIGH

Width (mirrors folded):

Up to 2m - NARROW

2m to 2.3m - MEDIUM

Over 2.3m - WIDE

It's always tickled me that Autotrail's Hi-Line and Lo-line are both 3.07m high

and the Super Lo-line is 3.03m,

We have an AutoTrail super low line that we are very pleased with but I must admit that the description of super low line always amuses us. The fact is that it's downright tall wich can be felt when driving it but does give a lovely spacious feel on site. I can only think that whoever at AutoTrail decided to call it super low line must have had a dry ironic sense of humour!

For anybody interested, information on Auto-Trail's "Line" designations is provided here

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/index.php/superlo-line

Hi-Line models have overcab sleeping accommodation, Lo-Line models have frontal overcab lockers, Super Lo-Line models have a more streamlined profile to the front of the overcab section that includes a 'sunroof'.

Lo-Line and Super Lo-Line versions of a particular model both appear to have the same height dimension, while the Hi-line version (unsurprisingly) will be a few centimetres taller.

While linguistic purists might decry Auto-Trail's use of "Hi" and "Lo" as feature designators (I'd prefer "Beddy", Lockery" and "Slopey"), it's probably no worse than the meaningless "low profile" term used to describe motorhomes with a sloped overcab section, or "tag axle" that's invariably used incorrectly to describe SEVEL-based motorhomes with tandem undriven rear axles.

Bulletguy - 2012-10-31 5:44 PM

nuevoboy - 2012-10-31 4:43 PM

Really that's the best way to park on Supermarkets as 99.9% of the population have been programmed to obey......they see a white line and think, "i must fit inside that space". If I see two bays empty, then I drive in the middle. At least I know I will be able to get my doors open!

I was actually referring to the length rather than width but admit my terminology of "across" was a bit misleading.

Coincidentally, I've recently come across 2 occasions where a motorist had parked centrally on the dividing line of two separate bays. Both were upmarket sports cars and were obviously deliberately parked like that to make sure no-one touched their cars with opening doors.

The last one was an Aston Martin Vantage open-top jobby taking up the last 2 spaces of a busy pub at Sunday lunchtime. Obviously (and selfishly) thought he owned the rights to the place with all his money (and, no it wasn't the owner!)

Archived