Radio in Boxer

stu51rod

We have an Autosleeper Symbol on a 54 plate Boxer. My problemm is that the radio just switches itself on randomly. It can do this 20 times in a 100 mile trip and is driving me bonkers. Anyone got a suggestion please. Sorry if this has been on before but can't find anything.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums.

I notice that there's a thread (dated 18 Aug 2009) in the Technical section of the Fiat Forum (www.fiatforum.com) that's headed "Radio keeps turning itself on again". Unfortunately, for some reason or other I can't currently access the Fiat Forum, so I don't know if that thread is relevant to your problem or what (if any) advice was offered.

Best guess is that a fault has developed with the radio-unit's electronics and, if that's the case, replacement is likely to be the only realistic cure. Obviously, if you did as Iain suggests and removed the fuse that protects the radio's power-supply the radio will become unusable. However, you might be able to 'bodge' the issue by installing an ON/Off switch in the power-supply cable. At least this would allow you to ensure that the radio could not come on spontaneously when you were driving.

Presumably, when your motorhome is not being driven (ie. when its motor is not running) the radio behaves itself?

When one first reads the subject matter, the content is totally the opposite. I thought this was another one of those stories, similar to the chap who claimed on his insurance when he lost his i-phone up the rear end of a cow!

Similarly the topic below, mounting rear wheel or something similar.

Having read this thread, I cannot help, we have neither a boxer dog nor a boxer motorhome nor a boxer in the house~yet, we have though got a radio. :-D

My inability to access the Fiat forum has now been explained - see http://www.fiatforum.com/

When the site comes back on line it would be worth looking at the 18 Aug 2009 thread I mentioned above to see if that helps.

My understanding is that the radio that would normally have been fitted to a 2004 Boxer would have a 20-minute cut-off 'batterysaving' feature that would operate when the vehicle's motor was not running. (This is why I asked if the radio also came on spontaneously when the motorhome was not being driven.) It's possible that this is the area of the radio's electronics that's causing the problem and the feature was covered in some depth here

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4779&start=1

I believe some motorhome manufacturers fitted a supplementary switch to allow the radio to be turned On/Off remotely, but I've no idea if AS did.

I'd be tempted to try rewiring the radio so that the 20-minute ignition-off cut-off doesn't operate to see if that does anything useful. Can't say I'm optimistic as this sounds like a genuine unfixable fault with the radio itself.

....even when a site is offline, you can often get at (part of) the content by using Google's caching facility, viz:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:NgNM-bHLqG0J:www.fiatforum.com/500/206109-radio-keeps-turning-itself-again.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

.....though I don't think this page helps particularly. ;-)

A common cause of such switching across a number of radios and vehicles is a malfunction of the CD sensor switch. (If it is a CD radio). I believe some Fiat OE fit radios have suffered from this problem.

Many radios are designed to switch on automatically when a CD is inserted. This is generally achieved via a switch in the CD slot, and if this malfunctions, road movement can cause it to intermittently turn on the radio.

If that is the problem with yours, it may not be particularly easy to fix, but a car-radio centre may be able to help (though swap-out may be more cost-effective than repair).

Hi, Stud51rod,

I have a similiar problem with my Boxer, (2004, Compass).

I raised this issue in a thread some months ago- search under 'Ghost Radio'. Effectively I could not resolve the problem, but I do not use the radio much. The radio still comes on randomly, when parked up or even when I turn on ignition, or as I drive along. Last time it happened was about 10 days ago when I was out for the night, and the radio came on at 4am!!. As I said I do not listen much to the radio- wife is too noisy and full of knowledge!! so I just take out the fuse if it becomes annoying-(out of the radio of course). Search for the thread, and you might get some hints on how to rectify.

Regards

Franco

Archived