Eco Camel Shower

Madmaggott

I'm wondering if anyone else has bought one of these showerheads?  We got one at the NEC show and are currently using it on our home shower; we're very pleased with it and it gives as good a shower as our usual power shower head (although doesn't look as good).  We certainly expect to recoup the cost in water and heating oil in a very short time and are going to get a further one for the van now that we know it is ok.  BTW, we have no links with the business.

I note from reviews that there are warnings that water-flow through the shower-head may prove inadequate if the water pressure is lowish.

You haven't said if you've tried your new shower-head in your motorhome - if you haven't, then I suggest you do before buying another (quite expensive) shower-head just to confirm that the water-flow is OK.

Is this another thread along the lines of "horses for courses?"

I don't know anyone who takes a camel on holiday, so why a dedicated shower??

Of maybe it's like those "baby showers" people have nowadays, a thinly-disguised way of scrounging gifts to support your chosen pet!

Derek they do one for lower water flow.

The reason I would use it in the van is whereas a tank of hot water currently does one shower, in theory we should get two showers with this because it restricts the flow of water so that you use approx 45% less.  So, less gas/oil and less water used, and in the van less water in the waste tank.

If you are on holiday over here have a look in one of our DIY sheds for two useful pieces of kit, one is a stop valve you can fit in line so that you can stop the water without adjusting the tap and thus maintain the preset temperature, assuming you don't have a thermostatic shower mixer. the second is an eco shower head which drags in air and mixes it with the water saving water, it also has rubbery jets that can be cleaned with a quick rub to unblock them ......... 

colin - 2012-11-01 9:03 PMOur van came with similier type of showerhead to this.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shower-Head-Douche-Spray-Chrome/dp/B0040LPUT6Can be locked on or used with trigger action, we lock it on for basin use or trigger action for shower. Couple of times when tanks have been low have done as Dave suggests and stood in shower and flannel washed.

Colin

Do you have to hold the trigger to keep the water flowing or does it lock open whist you rinse the soap off your body and then you switch it off when finished? If it is the latter I will definitely give one a try.

Cliff

We had a shower head, similar to the one you mention. It was about £20 ish I seem to recall. It allowed air into the water mix and gave more power and was very good.

It was debatable whether we saved water though, as the tendency was to stay under longer! We now have new shower and don't think I would be tempted to buy another. :-S

Madmaggott - 2012-11-01 7:11 PM

Derek they do one for lower water flow....

Yes, I know.

There's a full-page advert in the current CSMA Club Magazine extolling the virtues of this shower-head and the advert advises that the "Jetstorm E" model should be chosen for electric/low-pressure systems. Referring to the Jetstorm E section on the ECOCAMEL website reveals this statement:

"You will probably not gain any water saving benefit as electric showers are already low flow devices, however the Twin Injet technology will usually improve the quality of your showering experience."

On your own head (literally) be it, but don't be too surprised if, having forked out £30 for a Jetstorm E, that your expectations regarding in-motorhome water savings are not being realised.

On another recent forum thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=29335&posts=18

the potential difficulties in obtaining two successive showers from one tank of hot water are addressed. If a motorhome owner fails to adapt an at-home lavish showering technique to meet the limitations of a motorhome's water system, then one shower per tank of hot water will be the inevitable consequence. However, using a variation of the 'Navy Shower' method (as Robinhood mentions on that thread)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_shower

http://www.treehugger.com/bathroom-design/navy-showers-water-saving-goes-hardcore.html

should allow two comfortably warm successive in-motorhome showers to be easily achieved.

I don't get it.

We've never had any problem getting 2 showers out of one tank of hot water in any of the 3 MH's we've so far owned.

We wild camp mostly, and a 125 litre tank of fresh water can last the two of us (including showers, washing up, and loo flushing) the best part of week at a push.

BUT, you've got to modify your use of water:-

Shower tap on for maybe 5 seconds to wet hair, then turned off whilst lathering.

Shower tap on for 10 seconds to rinse hair, which also wets body, then turned off whilst lathering.

Shower tap back on for 30 seconds to rinse body.

Cliffy - 2012-11-01 9:35 PM
colin - 2012-11-01 9:03 PMOur van came with similier type of showerhead to this.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shower-Head-Douche-Spray-Chrome/dp/B0040LPUT6Can be locked on or used with trigger action, we lock it on for basin use or trigger action for shower. Couple of times when tanks have been low have done as Dave suggests and stood in shower and flannel washed.

Colin

Do you have to hold the trigger to keep the water flowing or does it lock open whist you rinse the soap off your body and then you switch it off when finished? If it is the latter I will definitely give one a try.

Cliff

The one we have is not exactly same as the one I linked to, can't find ours on net at moment, but have seen it advertised before. It can be locked or used as trigger action, it fits on basin for most of time and is locked open so you use tap control, when in shower use you pull it out of basin and 'slide' trigger switch it then becomes trigger control, never tried locking it on and off in shower.

BGD - 2012-11-02 10:00 AM

I don't get it.

We've never had any problem getting 2 showers out of one tank of hot water in any of the 3 MH's we've so far owned.

We wild camp mostly, and a 125 litre tank of fresh water can last the two of us (including showers, washing up, and loo flushing) the best part of week at a push.

Shower tap on for maybe 5 seconds to wet hair, then turned off whilst lathering.

Shower tap on for 10 seconds to rinse hair, which also wets body, then turned off whilst lathering.

We have no problem either. Our tank is even smaller, about 60l if I remember rightly, plus another 15l stored in the water heater. We know that ill ALWAYS do us for 24hrs, including cooking & washing up for a main meal, showers for both of us and flushing the loo.

Never timed the shower (wopuldn't dare!), but the key phrase is "turned off while lathering!" Most people don't do this at home, but in the van it's essential.

colin - 2012-11-02 10:54 AM

I must say that when considering how good a campsite is, one of the important things for me is the shower, having osteoarhritis there's nothing nicer than a shower which can be set to hot and then sprayed directly on hip/knee/back

Colin

Yep I prefer a daily hot bath as gives me excellent pain releif from my sciatica and me arthritic hip. A nice hot shower is second best but we tend to use the van and have had no problems having 2 hot showers per night with no real rush to get out. Get at least 3 days by which time were prob on the move and can fill up.

PS- Recently started to use a hot water bottle at home on the offending area every evening whilst watching the TV. Proving to be very helpfull. Try it.

BGD - 2012-11-02 10:00 AMI don't get it.We've never had any problem getting 2 showers out of one tank of hot water in any of the 3 MH's we've so far owned. We wild camp mostly, and a 125 litre tank of fresh water can last the two of us (including showers, washing up, and loo flushing) the best part of week at a push.BUT, you've got to modify your use of water:-Shower tap on for maybe 5 seconds to wet hair, then turned off whilst lathering.Shower tap on for 10 seconds to rinse hair, which also wets body, then turned off whilst lathering.Shower tap back on for 30 seconds to rinse body.

Yes, I agree that this is the method to use in the van shower and this is fine unless I'm washing my hair; I don't like all in one shampoo and need to use a seperate conditioner if I want to be able to get the comb through it afterwards therefore it's two lathers and one conditioner to rinse off.  You'll find that this changes the timings and useage considerably.  My OH likes to use site facilities when on-site (which is rare) but I always use the van shower.  I find that to go 6 weeks or more with just a flannel wash is less than satisfactory.  We'll see how the showerhead is in the van before we buy another one to stay in there permanently.

I suppose it depends on how much hair you have on your head Bruce ... 5 second wouldn't be enough! :-D

Tony Jones - 2012-11-02 10:53 AM

We have no problem either. Our tank is even smaller, about 60l if I remember rightly, plus another 15l stored in the water heater...

That's a large capacity water heater - I thought the Cavarno came as standard with a Truma B10 "Ultrastore" 10 litres capacity boiler (though I'm aware there's a 14 litres version). Either way, the capacity of the water heater is largely irrelevant as, once the water in the fresh-water tank runs out, the water contained by the boiler can't be accessed.

Guest pelmetman

10 litres of hot water 8-) 8-) ...................We have an 80 litre water tank, which is quite enough for a long hot shower ;-).............. admittedly we have the old style Paloma water heater :D

Progress eh? ;-)

Hawcara - 2012-11-02 5:59 PM

Actually, we only used our eco camel thing at home, I did think about the van, but as it is normally, soap on soap off thing, I did not really see the point. I use the site showers if there are any and then stand and sizzle. :-D

Surely you have an Eco ALPACA shower!!!! :D

Archived