Anyone for Benicassim?

bolero boy

Been here in Bonterra Park do a week or so after being on the road since end of August. I've seen many couples greeting each other here so they must be regulars.

Anyone from this forum here now or coming later? We are here till 8th December.

Good wintering, wherever you go!

Don't know about new ownership but there is an ACSI area at the top of the site......however, of you are staying for 7 days or more (and you pay for 7 days in advance) you can pitch anywhere at ACSI rates.

The tree trimming is in progress and we have a great sunny pitch.

Currently in mid 20's, phew!

We were there 8 weeks ago and yes ASCI are consigned to the rough area at the top of the site. Looked like a dog walking area to us.

We were sussing the site out for future visits and had to pay up front for 7 nights to get a reasonable pitch. That attitude has put us of returning there for our 6 week spring and autumn breaks. One part of the family run the site for 5 yrs then another part takes over. We were told that most if not all of the 1st families staff were dismissed then the 2nd family employed their own staff.

If you note all of the overhead metalwork, that supported the overhead screening for the summer visitors, has been taken down and only the upright poles left. Made a racket I can tell you. Some of the overwinter friends were worried that the trees woluld be left to grow over to provide shade and that any sattelite reception would be lost.

However if the trees have been cut then maybee worry about growing trees has gone away.

I know lots love the site, Camping & Caravanning Club rally there but too crammed in for us

Mike.

just booked today,after 3 emails,2phone calls,i paid deposit of e100 for 23 nights arriving 20 Nov,i do get the feeling this year they dont know what the hell they are doing! also they refuse to reserve a pitch in any calle,i was told bluntly,you have to accept what we give you on arrival,i said if i dont like pitch can i get refund back NO she said, see about that when we get there i said,hope it is better than it looks at moment.i will be in Adria van RX59,,,pop in for a drink oh & we cant arrive before 5pm, this is our 9th winter in Spain,is it getting more complicated?or am i getting older?

All of the above accords with what I have been told. Apparently many long term users of the site are now looking elsewhere. The staff have been dismissed but apparently Marcelle (????) remains. The site will return to the previous management in 5 years.

I won't go there again; perhaps the rougher but friendly Azahar down the road is a better option.

We popped in there for a couple of hours last Monday afternoon on our way back South to our home on the Costa Blanca (in the little village about 15 kms inland from Denia), as we were visiting some friends who were staying on the site.

Too big and too busy for us....it had been literally full a few days previously when they arrived.

ACSI is definitely accepted still there, at the 16 euro rate.

For anyone who likes that area but doesn't want to pay/stay on a "proper" campsite, there's a little-known but very large and excellent car-park only about 1km away from the Brontera site, on the road one set of houses back from the beach, and thus only about 30 metres from the beach.

There are no facilities at the car park area, but it is free; it is fenced, the surface is stone/gravel; it is lit at night; it is really quiet out of the high summer tourist season; and there are NO restrictions on motorhomes parking/overnighting there.

We stayed there overnight last Monday night, and it was a great location. There were another 2 MH's there that night.

Directions ( from memory):

From Bontera Park entrance, turn left, passing the Mercadona supermarket on your right side.

Take the next turning sharp right which is about 200m further on.

Go along that road for maybe 1km, passing several sets of lights/cross roads, until you get to a little bridge over a dry river bed (the alleyway on the left side just before the dry river bed is actually a pedestrian entrance to the car park).

Go over the bridge then take the second turning on the left, about 200 m further on ( you could take the first turn if you had a small van, but the second turning is a bigger road).

Go 100m down to the end of that road, turn left again, and then after 200 m you'll find the car park entrance on your left.

Thanks for these posts, we were going to spend a week there on ACSI at the start of December but these posts have put us right off. We stayed there two years ago and noticed a number of vans pitched under the trees, not very good for winter sun or satellite reception. Will probably try Azahar because we love the area. There is also a campsite at Oropesa right on the beach and perfect for dog owners.

Again, I know nothing of the family history but here are a few observations...

Marcel is still here

It is a busy site, vans definitely arrive well before 5 o clock

The top part of the site I would not really describe as a dog walk.....however the car park Bruce describes coould be.....

Motorhomes often park in the road opposite Lidl.

We have stayed at camping Azahar many times (not recently) as they always did a very good rate if you stayed for 7 days or more, almost certainly better than ACSI. Plenty of sunny pitches and a heated toilet block.

The owner family are very pleasant and organise excursions to keep campers amused. We had a very interesting visit to the Porcelanosa tile factory at Castellon for example.

There used to be a man on reception who we christened herr Flick for some reason but he left some time ago. They also had English newspapers available to borrow, so always tried hard to make us feel welcome. Once a week they provided entertainment and a free meal like paella.

We have stayed on Azahar many times, good site we thought, as you said entertainment, some  nights with free food and lots of beer and wine got drunk, Heir Git, Hitler, Heir Flick Raymond or whatever you wanted to call him was the Manager there and he was a right S@@t but after you had your first run in with him and put him in his  place he was OK.We had trips to Valencia. and Morello on coaches and always had a great Paella day during the Fiesta in February, we used to go to Bonterra site some evenings for the Entertainment there , all very informal, just turn up, we often used to drop in for Coffee in the mornings on our way back on our bikes from the town, used the Pool there sometimes too. Benicassim is a great place to spend a few months, great prom and beach, nice town with all your needs, super weekly market etc, our preference would be Azahar over Bonterra ,less formal and not so crowded we think.

pelmetman - 2012-11-03 7:00 PMIt's a bit far North for January and February .............. ;-)
 After our Christmas Day, and New Years day street parties on Azahar Campsite we all used to go to the beach and have a swim, lovely Sunny days, chilly in the Evenings was the norm  when we were there, usually December to March, Pancake day was a lot of fun, our Pancake Races really baffled the Germans LOL

Archived