Just Comet vouchers and gift cards?

Patricia

With the news that Comet is no longer honouring vouchers and gift cards, I thought it would be wise to spend the money on my P C World gift card which I had been forced to accept last year when they overcharged me on a purchase but said they were unable to change the paperwork.

So this afternoon I spent (wasted?) quite a time, as the website kept crashing, trying to order a printer from P C World. All the way through the protracted buying process it stated that vouchers etc. could be used to finalise payment. Not so! On the final page the code was not accepted so I presume it will affect Dixon gift cards etc. too but no mention has been made of this as far as I know.

Patricia - 2012-11-03 8:56 PM

With the news that Comet is no longer honouring vouchers and gift cards, I thought it would be wise to spend the money on my P C World gift card which I had been forced to accept last year when they overcharged me on a purchase but said they were unable to change the paperwork.

So this afternoon I spent (wasted?) quite a time, as the website kept crashing, trying to order a printer from P C World. All the way through the protracted buying process it stated that vouchers etc. could be used to finalise payment. Not so! On the final page the code was not accepted so I presume it will affect Dixon gift cards etc. too but no mention has been made of this as far as I know.

I understand that a number of stores will not accept gift cards for on-line purchases - seem to remember reading that on the Consumers Association website.

Not sure if P C World / Dixons are one of 'em.

(I'd be very surprised if PC World can refuse to repay you after an overpayment ).

:-(

I have never been able to get the point of Gift Cards which you can only be redeamed at the appointed outlets unlike money which can be spent / redeamed at any retail outlet or saved up with more Money to purcase a larger gift. Years ago a one of my places of employment some people with Christmas Gift Cards were offering them for sale at a loss to get some Cash.

Patricia - 2012-11-03 8:56 PM

Comet is not part of the Dixon group. So you should be o/k to spend them in one of their shops. It's probably to do with fraud prevention, as anyone with your voucher number could use it online otherwise.

Have just written a response admitting that I had the wrong store (Comet instead of Currys - senior moment!) but it has disappeared into the ether. However, I complained yesterday that they gave me a gift card that I did not want instead of a voucher (which the website says it accepts) but was told that they did not give vouchers. This means that I cannot order any of the bargain end-of-lines and the store will not order them for me. Manager is going to get a visit in the near future!!

Peter I love your avatar.

Archived