IH Motor home

cerro

I sold my timberland motor home and bought a IH tio R motor home, It was a 2008 and it compared with other like motor homes for price and I think that was because it was white and not metallic which suited me because I can spray it myself if it is knocked and I can blow a local area in and edge it out where as a metallic I would have to spray the whole panel we are very happy with it after a trip round the top of Scotland, good heater, large fridge, the bed very easy to make up. But we use two single beds, if we take out the back rests a 5’9 person can sleep where as in the RL model the single beds will sleep a 6’ plus person. the quality and build is very good, I had a cruise control fitted and on the trip computer it touched 35 MPG but returned mostly 34.9 MPG that is from the 3.0 litre engine the only down side is the batteries are sealed under the wardrobe and without taking the floor out they cannot be seen also the domestic batteries can only be charged from the built in charger if connected to the mains or to the Honda jenny. I can’t understand why the alternator can’t be wired to charge them. So I am thinking of fitting a solar panel and as I can’t get at the batteries very easy I asked IHMotorhomes for a wiring diagram so I could see the best way to route the wires down to take in the domestics and maybe the engine one too. After three phone calls and two e-mails over six weeks they seem reluctant to send me the diagram (Timberland sent me a good one no problem) I finally spoke to a fitter in the work shop no wiring diagram but he said he would draw me a little diagram, I then e-mailed a photo of the fuse box and charger. That was seven days ago and still no reply from anyone.

So I think I will take the 12v fuse box to bits and connect to the live and neutral that goes down to the battery can anyone see any problems with this idea. I hope these comments help someone buying an IH as there is not much info about them yet, Sorry about the moan.

colin - 2012-11-05 10:56 PM

It seems very odd that the batteries are not charged from alternator, are you sure this is correct? or is this a IH thing

I agree - the chances are (virtually) nil that IH Motorhomes would produce a vehicle with no capability to charge its leisure-batteries via the vehicle's alternator.

This earlier thread may be helpful

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=27382&start=1

and there's a schematic of a basic split-charging system here

http://www.motts.org/SPLIT%20CHARGING%20SYSTEM.htm

I don't know what electrical equipment IH Motorhomes would have fitted to a 2008 Tio R but, if cerro's leisure-batteries are not receiving charge from the alternator while the vehicle is being driven, then there's a fault somewhere - quite possibly a simple fault like a blown fuse, failed relay or a loose/dirty connection. It would be logical to correct that fault rather than try to 'bodge' around it by installing a solar panel.

Agreed, it does seem very odd. I can't imagine the logic of not charging the leisure batt(s) from the alternator and would definitely be popping a voltmeter across the leisure battery terminals, and other selected points of the 12V system with the engine running, before going any further.

[Edit] post crossed with Derek, who, as usual, gives a far more comprehensive answer than I can be bothered to type.

Guest JudgeMental
I think I'm right in saying if you hold meter across terminals while someone revs the engine the meter should react? So if that happens alternator working?

Thank you for your very helpfull replys, I have the manual in front of me and it says. Leisure batteries are designed to provide a lower currant than vehicle batteries but over a much longer period of time. Recharging is carried out by Hooking up to an electric mains supply. I have also had this confirmed by IH Motorhones. So it seems for some reason which I suspect is important the alternator is not wired to charge the domestic ones while moveing I can point out the fridge can be switched to engine battery while on the move but is autumaticly stopped when engine is switched off, then gas or mains has to be used.

cerro - 2012-11-06 12:37 PM

Thank you for your very helpfull replys, I have the manual in front of me and it says. Leisure batteries are designed to provide a lower currant than vehicle batteries but over a much longer period of time. Recharging is carried out by Hooking up to an electric mains supply. I have also had this confirmed by IH Motorhones. So it seems for some reason which I suspect is important the alternator is not wired to charge the domestic ones while moveing I can point out the fridge can be switched to engine battery while on the move but is autumaticly stopped when engine is switched off, then gas or mains has to be used.

I think you need to take notice of those replies. ;-)

Yes...the leisure batteries can be recharged whilst on hook-up.

Yes...the fridge is isolated from the vehicle circuits when the engine is switched off (since there is then no replenishing output from the alternator and the current draw would flatten the vehicle battery very quickly).

But....it is almost inconceivable that IH designed a motorcaravan where the leisure batteries are not/cannot also be recharged from the vehicle alternator whilst on the move.

As has already been highlighted, this is conventionally achieved via a fused circuit fed from a split-charge relay. If your are not getting leisure battery charging with the engine running, then it is that circuit (and particularly the fuse and/or relay) that are suspect.

If you are unable to diagnose yourself, then I would suggest a local vehicle electrician should be able to fix very quickly.

cerro - 2012-11-06 12:37 PM

...Recharging is carried out by Hooking up to an electric mains supply. I have also had this confirmed by IH Motorhones...

Before you spend time (and money) on your solar-panel idea, I strongly suggest you phone IH Motorhomes again and ask the simple question "Should the leisure-batteries of a 2008 Tio R be charged by the motor's alternator when the vehicle is being driven?"

Obviously I don't know what the content of your previous communications with IHM was (the company has an excellent reputation for customer care) but, if you've assumed that alternator charging was not provided and not asked for confirmation that this assumption was correct, I doubt it would have been brought up unprompted by IHM staff.

Automatic alternator charging of leisure-batteries is such a basic feature of modern motorhomes that it may not have been covered in the IHM manual in the belief that nobody needed to be told about it. Or the provision of advice about the leisure-battery alternator charging capability may just have been overlooked.

Hi,
The use CBE pc200,,If you look at the Control panel ,,just under the hour section(bottom left screen) when the engine is running it should show a digital display of battery charging from the engine alt' ,,If not check the fuse ,,and connection on bottom of fuse box (remove cover)to B2 ,,,You can download the booklet  on WWW.cbe.it
Regards ,
Brendan 

Thank you everone for your very kind help, I am now convinced that it should charge. So we are going up round loch lomond this week end for four days and I will check it out properly. If I have a problem I will take it down to my son in Yorkshire to fix It. Derek I was talking and e-mailing IH for the Diagram and they new what I wanted it for as they were aware of the problem maybe we were at cross perposes or maybe they are busy after the NEC show getting vehcles ready. Not to worry it will come to you all when you get to 78 fitness wise no problem, the mind cant do anything about that, so I blame myself Thanks once again. Cerro

Just for your peace of mind, the installation will have been designed, and originally installed, so that the habitation battery gets charged by the on-board charger when connected to mains, and by the alternator when the engine is running. Basically, all vans work this way.

There will be fuses between both sources and the battery so, if a fuse has blown, it is possible the battery may not necessarily get charged from one, or other, source. This could happen, but is unlikely. It is also possible someone may have interfered with one of the circuits before you got the van, and messed it up. Again, it could happen, but is unlikely. It is also possible a connection has come adrift and is preventing charging. Again, this is possible, but unlikely.

Failing one of those unlikely possibilities, however, you should expect the habitation battery to be charged as stated above, and I'd be very surprised indeed if it isn't. Don't worry, as I'm sure all will be OK.

onecal - 2012-11-06 6:30 PM

Hi,

The use CBE pc200,,If you look at the Control panel ,,just under the hour section(bottom left screen) when the engine is running it should show a digital display of battery charging from the engine alt' ,,If not check the fuse ,,and connection on bottom of fuse box (remove cover)to B2 ,,,You can download the booklet  on WWW.cbe.it
Regards ,
Brendan 

Okay, I give up - where on the CBE site is the diagram!!!! I was going to post a direct link to it for Cerro but can't find it. :-S

Guest Peter James
Slightly off topic, but I think you will find your real fuel consumption is about 10% higher than it says on your trip computer. - maybe 32 mpg

There is an error in the English-language instructions for the PC-200.

On page 16, the ELECTRONIC BATTERY SEPARATOR section includes the words "when the alternator voltage is under 13,3V". This should read "when the alternator voltage is OVER 13,3V".

There are indicators on the PC-200's control-panel that show when the leisure battery and motor battery have been parallel-connected for charging by the vehicle's alternator and when charging is taking place. The indicator symbols are referred to as numbers 9 and 12 on page 12.

Assuming that a CBE PC-200 system perfoms similarly to the PC-100 system used in my Hobby, after the vehicle's motor has been started there will be short interval (a few seconds) after which an audible 'click' can be heard as the coupler/separator in the Distribution Box parallel-connects the leisure battery to the vehicle battery. The control-panel indicator will simultaneously show that charging is taking place.

Archived