Grills are a complete waste of space?

whatsupdoc

Our previous van had a grill (never used), oven (used occasionally) and a m/w (used frequently). Our vew van will come with just a grill - and our first instinct was to replace it with a 500w microwave (via 1500w pure sine wave inverter - we certainly don't want to be slaves to EHU!).

However an oven would be nice. I looked at mini-ovens by Spinflo and Smev - but none would fit inside the existing grill space (w48.5cm x h38 x d43), and we don't really have enough space anywhere else.

I also looked at the posts on halogen ovens, but it seems that they're too powerful for an inverter.

In some posts people swear by a double skillet - but is that really a substitute for an oven?

Finally, Argos have what they call a "toaster oven" (900w, 10 litre capacity, http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/4234810.htm) that would fit, but would it be powerful enough or suitable for use in a motorhome - and would the 1500w inverter suffice?

So, given that I beleieve a grill to be a complete waste of space, what do people suggest?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought one of these at Riversway Leisure £19.99 can`t find their link sorry.

But this is the same make and model :-

http://www.homesteadcaravans.co.uk/230v-650w-tristar-mini-oven-grill/

The reason i went for this one was that it is only 650W and the Gennie a Honda EU10i

will run it comfortably.

They are OK to a point, they have 2 glass tubes in a sort of " S " shape and so if you

are " Toasting " anything you have to keep turning it round but you do get the knack.

I`m a bit partial to " Toasted Teacakes and Toasted Hot cross Buns ".............LOL

It does them very nice indeed but it is not quick, running it on the Gennie or EHU

is fine but i think on the Inverter will " Kill " the batteries because of how long it

takes and it`s only 650W.

As an oven it is again OK but don`t expect miracles.

The killer will be the length of time anything takes to cook especially via the Inverter.

Hope this helps

Regards.

Graham.

We have a mini oven bought from Lidi which we share between our boat and camper.

I am sure it would soon destroy any small leisure battery likely to be used for a motorhome if you bought a large enough invertor to power it, it would need something like 70 amps from 12 volts. Why not keep it in a locker and use it outside when on hookup only which is what we do?

Guest JudgeMental

honestly....you can cook steaks, bacon whatever on a heavy griddle pan with excellent results. toast on one of these £5 gas hob jobs that do a fine job...can buy a succulent rotisserie chicken in a supermarket for a fiver *-)

And then there is the BBQ 8-)

whatsupdoc - 2012-11-06 2:44 PM

So, given that I beleieve a grill to be a complete waste of space, what do people suggest?

I have pondered for several minutes about replying to this thread, then thought "what the hell"

My suggestion is learn to use the grill, it's there, it costs no extra to use, and in combination with a hob can produce perfectly good meals.

There you go, well you did ask B-)

Guest JudgeMental
malc d - 2012-11-06 4:19 PM

They get very mixed reviews on Amazon site.

Looks like most of the heat will go straight up through the middle.

That gelhert one is useless, as you say you end up with rock hard bread...probably worse then a normal grill:-D

this one much better and what we have used for years, very quick mind, so you need to be attentive

http://tinyurl.com/c36vxvq

I'm a big believer in utilising kit you've already got...

As Eddie says,a decent griddle plate is a really handy piece of equipment(..and will do toast,if need be)

..and we've also found that our heavy-bottomed,lidded saute' pan is very versatile(..when used with a diffuser ring,it acts a bit like a Dutch oven).

If need be,we can also "hob roast" a 3 1/2lb chicken(complete with spuds,carrots etc),using the one large pan from a Coleman cookset,that we have left from when we tented(..but "roast dinners" are really what "eating out" is for.. ;-) )

Oh!..and thoughs pyramid type toasters don't work.... ;-)

Oops! sorry Eddie,crossed posts.... :$

Spent years struggling with a Camping Gaz ring and grill when we had tents. The Stoves full grill and oven in our motorhome is superb in comparison. Toasted Marmite and cheese or even toasted cheese with raw garlic sprinkled on top. Don't worry we always park at the far end of a campsite. We would not buy a van without decent kitchen appliances.

747 - 2012-11-06 2:54 PM

No grill ..... no toast. 8-)

Although to be fair, you can do toast in a double skillet (we have one)

For proper toast though, you need one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-CUT118-Folding-Camping-Toaster/dp/B000QH2V40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352213514&sr=8-1

Guaranteed to fit in the hole where your grill was. :D

These are fantastic for toast, had mine for 4yrs fairly regular use, so very economical

fairweather camper - 2012-11-06 4:52 PM

747 - 2012-11-06 2:54 PM

No grill ..... no toast. 8-)

Although to be fair, you can do toast in a double skillet (we have one)

For proper toast though, you need one of these.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelert-CUT118-Folding-Camping-Toaster/dp/B000QH2V40/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352213514&sr=8-1

Guaranteed to fit in the hole where your grill was. :D

These are fantastic for toast, had mine for 4yrs fairly regular use, so very economical

I've got at least 4 of 'em - great toast - just like we used to get over the open fire !

Often use them at home as well.

( Fortunately they are cheap as ours only last a couple of years ).

;-)

The 'pyramid' type 4-slice hob-top toaster is absolutely useless - I've had one and it got binned very shortly after using it for the first time - they just do NOT work! However, the folding Gelert type do work very very well - we use 2 in our van so we can have our toast together. :D

As for your Smev grill - they can be a bit of a damp squib or very good, the one in our previous van was next to useless and used to just 'frighten' the bread rather than toast it, but others have them and say they are great and hubby did managed to get ours to grill a bit better by adjusting the deflector plates to direct more heat onto the bread. I haven't tried the grill in our current van yet but it seems to be the same model.

I've done lots of stuff in my double skillet that you'd do in an oven, for example roast chicken with roast spuds (absolutely scrumptious!), pizza, and warmed up pies, made toasted sarnies - very yummy! The double skillet can be used as more than an 'oven' too, so 'earns' it's place in a motorhome more than just an electric oven!

We had gas ovens in a few motorhomes and they just got used as a pan store as they were wasteful and gobbled gas, plus the outcome wasn't brilliant.

Guest JudgeMental

MY ( na na na na na..) amazon link to same grill was cheaper *-)

\Heavens..... I can live without cheese on toast on a holiday... :D

Eddie - get yourself a mini-blowtorch - the ones the professional chefs use to brown stuff that the grill hasn't!

Try this:

- Some strong flavoured cheddar - grate so you have around 2 desertspoonfuls

- A good shake of white pepper

- A teaspoonful of tomato puree

- A desertspoon of mayonnaise (not an overly strong flavoured one like Helmans and ideally not the budget basement supermarket one that is full of water)

Mix it all well in a bowl - taste to ensure it is 'right' for you and adjust the pepper/puree/cheese as appropriate - you want a soft paste type consistency, not too runny.

Toast your bread fully on one side, then only half do it on the other. Spread the mixture on the half-toasted side and put it under the grill at medium heat as it comes out better if it isn't blasted (so ideal for a motorhome grill on full blast!!! :D ).

Resist the temptation to stuff it straight in your gob when you take it from under the grill and leave it for a minute to cool a little - then scoff it!

If you haven't got a grill then do your toast on your folding hob one, then use the blowtorch to blast the topping - great fun!

Ours gets used if it is too windy, cold, or wet to use the Cadac we normally use. Works fine on sausages, steaks, and pork madalions etc. We have a full oven as well which is great for bread and cakes etc.. No not cooking them it's where we store them. The only time we use it as an oven is to heat meat pies up if the weather is cold and we have been able to find a place to buy some really good ones. If we have a long way to travel when we set off we do tend to take a couple of nice pies from ourmlocalmbutcher which can be heated up to provide a quick and easy hot meal.

Guest JudgeMental
Mel B - 2012-11-06 6:14 PM

Eddie - get yourself a mini-blowtorch - the ones the professional chefs use to brown stuff that the grill hasn't!

If you haven't got a grill then do your toast on your folding hob one, then use the blowtorch to blast the topping - great fun!

Mel I would have eaten my own fingers by the time I did all that :-D

Guest Peter James
Just get a pressure cooker, put your meat and veg in and boil it all up together. A full dinner in one pan, and better than an ordinary dinner because you retain the water the meat and veg was cooked in. :-D

I suppose it depends on what part cooking and/or eating plays in your holidays.

Personally, I quite enjoy cooking - ESPECIALLY when not in too much of a hurry (eg when on holiday!), so having a full cooker (pretty much domestic-size) was a definite selling point when we bought our van. It's great to know we can be just as adventurous in our cooking when we're away as we are at home - or even more so with more time and different ingredients.

BUT if you prefer to eat out a lot, or just aren't too bothered about food, then you'll probably want to use the space in the van for something else and keep any cooking simple.

Horses for (however many) courses!

Archived