Grills are a complete waste of space?

whatsupdoc

whatsupdoc - 2012-11-08 7:14 AM

When I posted this question I thought I'd be inundated with delicious grill recipes - but it seems that toast & bacon is about it!

There was a whole thread of "recipes suitable for the motorhome" or something of that sort a few years back. If I can find it I'll put up a link, or reopen it for new business! Meanwhile, try a "search" with no time limit for "recipes"

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whilst at the NEC show the other week we looked in a European built motorhome , cannot remember the make , but was surprised to see the small oven / grill was placed about 6" from the floor it must have been forgotten about and some bright spark thought  " O " just put it anywhere there is a space . We have seen them above face level which I feel a dangerous practice , but to have to kneel down to use one is ridiculous. Its a pity I never had chance to take a photograph of it..

That is the problem with buying imported vans. The mainlanders generally do not have ovens or grills in their vans. When importing to UK, the dealers insist they add the oven they had never designed for, hence the "Tec Towers", with ovens at roof level. If buying an import and wanting an oven, it pays to look carefully at where it has been installed.

Personally, I think both items a complete waste of valuable space, and microwaves (like pressure cookers) the spawn of the devil! But then, that's me! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2012-11-08 5:38 PM

That is the problem with buying imported vans. The mainlanders generally do not have ovens or grills in their vans. When importing to UK, the dealers insist they add the oven they had never designed for, hence the "Tec Towers", with ovens at roof level. If buying an import and wanting an oven, it pays to look carefully at where it has been installed.

Personally, I think both items a complete waste of valuable space, and microwaves (like pressure cookers) the spawn of the devil! But then, that's me! :-D

Reading through this thread Brian it becomes obvious most do not give much thought to what they eat and have little idea about cooking it. It would appear they think grills are for toast and barbecues are somehow good. Now you come on and state both items, I assume you mean oven and grill, are a waste of space. Not if you like food they are not, sure you can get by with a couple of gas rings but why just get by, eating and drinking good stuff is part of the trip for us. Just get by no way I like my food to much.

Reading through this thread Brian it becomes obvious most do not give much thought to what they eat and have little idea about cooking it. It would appear they think grills are for toast and barbecues are somehow good. Now you come on and state both items, I assume you mean oven and grill, are a waste of space. Not if you like food they are not, sure you can get by with a couple of gas rings but why just get by, eating and drinking good stuff is part of the trip for us. Just get by no way I like my food to much. QUOTE

Totally agree.

I have an oven, a grill, a 4 gas burner hob, a microwave, plus a charcoal BBQ and a 2 ring coleman stove with grill for use outside for fish, kippers & other pongy stuff etc. 
We quite often do a full roast in the oven with all the trimmings.

I'm feeling hungry just typing this! :)

rupert123 - 2012-11-08 5:57 PM.......................... I assume you mean oven and grill, are a waste of space. Not if you like food they are not, sure you can get by with a couple of gas rings but why just get by, eating and drinking good stuff is part of the trip for us. Just get by no way I like my food to much.

Not at all Henry. I suspect I like food just as much as anyone else, I just don't think an oven or a grill necessary to get good food. Don't like microwave "cooked" food: no complex flavours. Ditto pressure cookers. Indifferent to barbecued food. Not that fussed about roast meat: the good stuff can be fried virtually fat free in a non stick pan, the slightly less good stuff can be braised, and anything worse (it can happen! :-)) can be stewed. All that requires is a hob. Veg generally cooks on the hob, though I'll concede you can't do roasted veg without an oven. Salads don't require cooking anyway. Probably less to do with the food itself than with how it is cooked. But I dispute that good food is impossible without oven and grill.

If we want something out of the ordinary, we eat out. Had a fantastic (though rather expensive!) multi-course meal in Belgium on our last trip. Couldn't achieve that degree of refinement in the van, or even at home in truth! I'll say where, if anyone wants an expensive treat - but watch the wine list, 'cos some of the bottles were VERY expensive. Ours was one of the cheapest, but very good - you have to draw a line somewhere! :-D

Archived