Two more A-framers caught in mainland Europe....

BGD

Just to make people aware, we've heard from friends here who have very recently met up with two other British motorhoming couples who each reported to them that they've just been done for towing a car using an A-frame in mainland Europe.

The first case was in Germany.

In this case the motorhome was pulled over by the Police, they were warned but not fined, and were made to de-couple the car (the wife then had to drive it and follow the motorhome).

The other case was in Spain, in Aranjuez (near to Madrid).

The motorhome was pulled over by Trafico Police, the driver was given a €100 on-the-spot fine for towing a vehicle with another vehicle (which is illegal in Spain), they were made to de-couple the car and the wife had to drive it following the motorhome from then on.

Of course it doesn't,were british. Why should it. It's not illegal in england, so it shouldn't be illegal anywhere else in europe.

I'll get me coat..............and crash hat. :D

It's not on the statute books as being legal or illegal - ( a sick bird), therefore it is still an untried grey area.

Spoke with a couple that we know quite well, in Vinaros a few weeks ago and although they have been fined on a previous trip, they thought that having their car with them and paying a fine was a lot less than hiring a car when in Spain. They are the gambling type who have got away with it on several trips since they were fined, so the average fine per trip, if you are lucky, then becomes a small premium to pay.

Don't know if the Spanish police keep records of your last fine but if they do then they may get a bit p**ssed of and put the offenders through the wringer.

No sympathy with the " wont happen to me brigade ". And the deliberate gamblers if they get heavy fines 2nd time round Ditto.

You can lead a horse to water comes to mind !!

Mel B - 2012-11-06 10:44 PM

peter - 2012-11-06 5:59 PM

If it's not illegal in england, it's legal. We have laws against you doing something, not to allow you to do it.

... can I be there to watch when you try to use that excuse then Peter! :D

Just tell them in English.... ( Loudly and Slowly ).... that it`s legal over here and i`m sure they

will see it from your point of view and send you on your way with a " Wave and a Smile ".

goldi - 2012-11-07 8:19 AM

Morning all,

So how would you go on towing a box trailer with acar inside I wonder ??

norm

Should be o.k.

As I understand it, it's towing cars that have their wheels on the ground that is illegal.

goldi - 2012-11-07 9:19 AM

Morning all,

So how would you go on towing a box trailer with acar inside I wonder ??

norm

I think you've missed the point Norm.

It is specifically named as being illegal in Spain, and many other mainland European countries by those countries national road-traffic laws , for a powered vehicle to tow another vehicle with the towed vehicles wheels on the ground (except in certain very specific circumstances, eg to move a crashed vehicle off the carriageway).

It's NOT the act of towing that's illegal; it's that you are clearly towing another vehicle (a car) with it's wheels on the road. Put that towed car on a proper trailer ( which complies with all the weight/lighting, braking system etc regulations) and you're totally OK to tow it.

The rest of Europe doesn't swallow the (either ingenious or ludicrous, depending on your point of view) suggestion made some UK people/A-frame sellers that a car somehow stops being a "car" and magically becomes a "trailer" because you've bolted an A-frame to the front of that car.

Wintersun,

Now you know that your Motorhome and car are in the system, but the thought occurs that if you happen to sell either or both then if the buyer takes a chance in using an A-frame with either or both and expects a small/reasonable fine if caught then He/She could be in for a rude awakening.

I realise that you or others who have been caught will tell prospective buyers what has happened and probably lose a private sale but dealers would I suspect have no idea that the MH etc is in the Spanish system.

Could be a bit of a minefield unless the current owner could prove to the satisfaction of Spanish police that they purchased after the original " crime " was commited.

Still one easy answer, Listen to the forum and do not use an A-frame.

mike 202 - 2012-11-07 7:14 PM

Wintersun,

Now you know that your Motorhome and car are in the system, but the thought occurs that if you happen to sell either or both then if the buyer takes a chance in using an A-frame with either or both and expects a small/reasonable fine if caught then He/She could be in for a rude awakening.

One would like to assume that they would've also taken Wintersun's name... ;-)

...after all,it was him who committed the "offence",not the vehicle....

Could be a bit of a minefield unless the current owner could prove to the satisfaction of Spanish police that they purchased after the original " crime " was commited.

I don't understand why this would be a problem - surely you'd have the registration documents with you for both vehicles and would be able to show when you bought it which would supersede the date of the original fine ....

Still one easy answer, Listen to the forum and do not use an A-frame.

Yup, that's the best solution! :-D

Not in Mainland Europe anyway.

I wonder what the situation will be after 2014, when the law in the UK will hopefully be clearer. ?

remember there are quite a few manufacturers making these things, and quite a lot already in 'Safe' use. Ray

If it's not illegal in england, it's legal. We have laws against you doing something, not to allow you to do it.

Of course you can Mel. I'll let you know when I'm going to germany next. :D

Cliffy - 2012-11-06 11:01 PM

Cant see the point of towing a car behind a motorhome anyway.

Why not take up caravaning?

Because you don't always have to take it with you. Unlike towing a caravan, with that setup you always have to take both.

pepe63 - 2012-11-07 7:34 PM

Wintersun,

One would like to assume that they would've also taken Wintersun's name... ;-)

...after all,it was him who committed the "offence",not the vehicle....

I hope that clarification on this will quickly come from our Spanish resident.

As I understand it, In Spain, if a vehicle has a fine registered against it, then that registration is on the vehicle and if you are caught with that vehicle doing something illegal then you will be liable for the increased fine that comes with the second offence, this also applies if you have bought a vehicle with any outstanding fines on it you carry the can.

peter - 2012-11-07 8:24 PM

Of course you can Mel. I'll let you know when I'm going to germany next. :D

You're on ... we're going next summer ... when are you going? :-D

Archived