santa pola spain.

trickydicky

hi, used to wild camp virtually on the beach in santa pola but noticed last year no motorhomes and lots of building work going on.can anyone tell me if this is still the case or are the motorhomes back there.we would like to go to the area again on our next trip but can't usually get in the campsite,either full or no pitches big enough so if we can't wild camp we won't bother going.

Don't know about the wild camping, but we stayed at the ACSI site (Can't remember the name) up the road a little way, and that had large serviced pitches, though it is a bit hilly. don't know the size of your van.

Sorry can't give more details, but am away from home at moment,(not in van) so not got the acsi book with me.

I expect some one is near that way now, and will be able to answer your question. Must say we liked that area, but have not been for a couple of years

PJay

Guest Peter James

Haven't been there since Jan 2011 but just had a look at google maps

- paste this into the address box: Avinguda de Granada, Santa Pola, Valencia, Spain

The image is dated 2012 and it still looks the same. Except only 3 motorhomes on it. When I was there it was nearly full, I have never seen so many motorhomes in one public place - some of them looked like they had been there months.

Hi Tricky, We were there in February this year and there were no vans parked by the marina or the boatyard but if you follow the coast road out of town then just before the T junction where you turn left for Gran Alicante there's an area where there were about 20-25 motorhomes overnighting. The water and tipping are in the country park at the T junction.

Colin

nomad - 2012-11-07 9:39 AM

Hi Tricky, We were there in February this year and there were no vans parked by the marina or the boatyard but if you follow the coast road out of town then just before the T junction where you turn left for Gran Alicante there's an area where there were about 20-25 motorhomes overnighting. The water and tipping are in the country park at the T junction.

Colin

Is this in the direction of Alicante? ie with the sea on your right through the Natural Park.

Guest Peter James
crinklystarfish - 2012-11-07 9:22 AM

Sounds dreadful.

It looked a bit messy I must admit, but it was an OK place to sleep. I stayed 2 nights, everyone I met seemed alright, and its right in the centre of an attractive seaside area.

281729771_SantaPolaJan11.thumb.jpg.a3d02cf312734938a205954632b1fdf4.jpg

Brian Kirby - 2012-11-07 11:21 PM

Do you folks have a thing about apartment blocks? I thought it might be attractive, but have to say if I'd found myself there I wouldn't have stayed, and I certainly wouldn't go back! Still, that's just me, no doubt. :-D

No Brian,--definitely not just you.

cheers

derek

Brian Kirby - 2012-11-07 11:21 PM

Do you folks have a thing about apartment blocks? I thought it might be attractive, but have to say if I'd found myself there I wouldn't have stayed, and I certainly wouldn't go back! Still, that's just me, no doubt. :-D

I know you and others just don't get it, something for which I'm grateful as it leaves more space for me and those with similar views.

The sunrises are a delight, the beaches are just a short stroll away, there is a vibrant market and a very special natural park area towards Alicante.

We simply park up there at night, nip to the market or Mercadona and then off into the Natural Park for the day and back at night.

Sure there are apartments across the road but also bars and restuarants, we like the mix.

That all sounds good to me, I will find it in the next few weeks and give it a try, I would not bother to try and convert others on here if I were you, you are just wasting your efforts and if you enjoy doing as you are that should be enough.Thanks for the info.

starvin marvin - 2012-11-08 4:16 PM..............I know you and others just don't get it, something for which I'm grateful as it leaves more space for me and those with similar views.

The sunrises are a delight, the beaches are just a short stroll away, there is a vibrant market and a very special natural park area towards Alicante...........................

Not so much a case of don't get it, I think Tony, as don't like the look of it. I assume the "it" you assume I don't get, is "wild camping". But in truth, what is "wild" about that place?

It is an urban car park in an indifferent, modern, seaside resort. Sunrises (and sunsets for that matter) happen everywhere. Some are spectacular, some not. (the best one I have yet seen was while we were in transit between Ancona and Igoumenitsa, but that doesn't make me want to set up camp on the ferry!). Beaches are what you get in coastal areas (usually along with all kinds of tat). Markets can be fun (but they are everywhere). So, what is left is the natural park. Surely, there must be places that have a bit of character, and some actual interest, near that park? Or even places with a bit of the "wild" in their environment, to justify the "camping" bit.

I'm not commenting on whether one chooses to stay on campsites or not. All I'm saying is that even with the cheapest, but most elaborately equipped campsite in Europe at its midst, or even the most attractive aire, it would not be a town at which I should choose to stay. Someone up the string said it looked pleasant, which is a value judgement, so I was intrigued to see if I agreed, in case I might want to go there. I don't and - purely in the interests of balance, you understand - decided to offer my value judgement to counter his! As you say, we are all different. :-)

Guest Peter James

I like it being flat because its great for cycling.

I don't go to look at the apartment blocks, even though they are amongst the most interesting apartment blocks I have seen, and free to walk around the public shops and bars beneath. This one is about 2 miles along the seafront towards Alicante, the parking area in front is probably the parking area being talked about now. It was empty when I was there, maybe because everyone was parked in Santa Pola.

995921009_SantaPolaJan11c.jpg.0c5fe8731c2cc52220894f9bfbcce69c.jpg

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2012-11-08 6:10 PM

starvin marvin - 2012-11-08 4:16 PM..............I know you and others just don't get it, something for which I'm grateful as it leaves more space for me and those with similar views.

The sunrises are a delight, the beaches are just a short stroll away, there is a vibrant market and a very special natural park area towards Alicante...........................

Not so much a case of don't get it, I think Tony, as don't like the look of it. I assume the "it" you assume I don't get, is "wild camping". But in truth, what is "wild" about that place?

It is an urban car park in an indifferent, modern, seaside resort. Sunrises (and sunsets for that matter) happen everywhere. Some are spectacular, some not. (the best one I have yet seen was while we were in transit between Ancona and Igoumenitsa, but that doesn't make me want to set up camp on the ferry!). Beaches are what you get in coastal areas (usually along with all kinds of tat). Markets can be fun (but they are everywhere). So, what is left is the natural park. Surely, there must be places that have a bit of character, and some actual interest, near that park? Or even places with a bit of the "wild" in their environment, to justify the "camping" bit.

I'm not commenting on whether one chooses to stay on campsites or not. All I'm saying is that even with the cheapest, but most elaborately equipped campsite in Europe at its midst, or even the most attractive aire, it would not be a town at which I should choose to stay. Someone up the string said it looked pleasant, which is a value judgement, so I was intrigued to see if I agreed, in case I might want to go there. I don't and - purely in the interests of balance, you understand - decided to offer my value judgement to counter his! As you say, we are all different. :-)

I can see there are more interesting places, but you generally have to leave the van and make an effort to struggle round amongst the crowds - I do that as well. But the beauty of places like Santa Pola is being able to have the van right there for convenience.

Brian Kirby - 2012-11-08 6:10 PM

Thats quite an interesting reply and would readily accept that all these things are available at most places around the coast, which is where I gravitate to, having lived in the middle of the UK and a city most of my life.

However I must correct you, I don't use the term "wild" to describe what is "free" camping, really wild places tend to make my nose bleed. I like the urban aspects of mostly anywhere, having grown up to the sound of sparrows coughing.

Just as you don't appear to get "free" camping, I don't get so called "character/culture" for example I can never hear what they are saying at the ballet.

Places of character, again I don't get that either, I never as a rule visit galleries, churches, museums and the like, interest in "culture" was killed probably by overexposure at school, along with any liking of poetry, something which I'm now very comfortable with and thankful for.

Some of these activities, are well liked by many.... and I'm happy for them. I much prefer to people watch and look at their environment....the real "built environment" with a little grit, if possible. You know what I mean, but difficult to explain "real" places were "real" people live where you instantly feel you could also live...in a different life. Places, thousands of places like Santa Pola are special, they're real, plus they're a bit warmer, which is the real bonus. Feel free not to join me.

Finally I don't say or think we're all different, I just think we're all odd.

Looks dreadful too; but for different reasons than those mentioned.

We don't use formal sites - or more accurately only incredibly rarely - and instead 'overnight' wherever takes our fancy. Mostly that's out in the countryside, but sometimes we also 'melt' into urban locations too. I don't like to get into the semantics much as using terms like 'wild' or 'free' or 'rough' tends to get incredibly blinkered (and usually pretty dim) people all excited for some reason.

There's just something about the 'nests' like the one pictured, and the unsurprising info regarding some staying there months that screams of being a bit disrespectful to me.

Let's face it, it's a travellers' community; I wouldn't want that near my house.

I'm all for freedom and spontaneity, to my mind a last resort for a motorhome is a formal site, but personally think it's important to keep impacts to an absolute minimum and that means having huge respect for the natural environment and huge respect for local communities.

If you are camping off formal sites, no one - or near as dammit no one - should ever know.

Peter James - 2012-11-08 6:21 PM

I like it being flat because its great for cycling.

I don't go to look at the apartment blocks, even though they are amongst the most interesting apartment blocks I have seen, and free to walk around the public shops and bars beneath. This one is about 2 miles along the seafront towards Alicante, the parking area in front is probably the parking area being talked about now. It was empty when I was there, maybe because everyone was parked in Santa Pola.

Strewth! Taj Mahal meets Disney! What a vulgar sham. Sure it wasn't a film set? Poor old Spain, whatever happened to its rich vein of traditional, ethnic, architectural styles? Words fail! :-(

• 1 month later...
trickydicky - 2012-12-14 10:05 PM

can anyone give me an update on the possibility of wild camping in santa pola please. has anyone noticed if there are vans parked up there.

Yes.

We wild-camped there for a couple of nights about 4 weeks ago.

But NOT on the seafront in the actual town any longer.....seems there's no more wild camping there at all, so far as we could see.

Instead, it's still OK to wild-camp in the spot that Peter James's post shows photos of......about 1 mile north of the town centre, on the car-park/waste ground area by the small leisure port/boat repair yard.

Peter's photo shows the view from that spot looking inland, to the "Moorish" apartment block across the seafront road. But the parking area is right on the seafront; thus the view from the other direction is the sea, and the bay sweeping round south, to Santa Pola town centre.

There were 3 other MH's there whilst we wild-camped there for two nights.

Police cars cruised by, but no problems at all.

Archived