santa pola spain.

trickydicky

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2012-12-15 2:59 PM

Looks busy :D

Never saw a soul.

But there might be a few there now the riff raff have been swept off the car park in Santa Pola ;-)

• 2 months later...
Guest Peter James
Back in Santa Pola and the open ground in front of the harbour where all the motorhomes parked in my photo has been transformed in the 2 years I have been away - all smartly paved with retail shops;

SantaPola19.2_13.jpg.85e25447ddafa28de814d501c960b4f7.jpg

SantaPola19.2_13a.thumb.jpg.c7090eaa05d16e29f9fa39ba11891455.jpg

SantaPola19.2_13c.thumb.jpg.8fc132fd5383f5a8e3a75106bf7587bb.jpg

Guest Peter James
BGD - 2012-12-15 12:16 AM

trickydicky - 2012-12-14 10:05 PM

can anyone give me an update on the possibility of wild camping in santa pola please. has anyone noticed if there are vans parked up there.

Yes.

We wild-camped there for a couple of nights about 4 weeks ago.

But NOT on the seafront in the actual town any longer.....seems there's no more wild camping there at all, so far as we could see.

Instead, it's still OK to wild-camp in the spot that Peter James's post shows photos of......about 1 mile north of the town centre, on the car-park/waste ground area by the small leisure port/boat repair yard.

Peter's photo shows the view from that spot looking inland, to the "Moorish" apartment block across the seafront road. But the parking area is right on the seafront; thus the view from the other direction is the sea, and the bay sweeping round south, to Santa Pola town centre.

There were 3 other MH's there whilst we wild-camped there for two nights.

Police cars cruised by, but no problems at all.

That has got a 'no motorhomes' sign on it now;

393537921_oppositemoorishapartmentblock.jpg.e5f068f58dfcbc3fa7ce1bb486bc323d.jpg

Guest Peter James
Brian Kirby - 2012-11-09 11:47 AM Poor old Spain, whatever happened to its rich vein of traditional, ethnic, architectural styles?

You mean the marina in Benalmadena ;-)

829583014_BenalmadenaMarina.jpg.68daab0780af7dde23bb89902cc869f3.jpg

950339513_007mooredinBenalmadena.jpg.24b237bf2cad712d08eed0ba5ae837a3.jpg

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2013-02-19 7:00 PM

Yep, Peter, exactly what I had in mind. Design by Walt Disney! Terrific! Makes one weep, no? :-D

Reminds me of East Sussex :D.......

As for wild camping in Spain...........they do seem to be moving them on more often :-S...........whether they're trying to get everyone on sites to generate income? ;-)

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2013-02-19 7:24 PM

Yep, Peter, exactly what I had in mind. Design by Walt Disney! Terrific! Makes one weep, no? :-D

Reminds me of East Sussex :D.......

As for wild camping in Spain...........they do seem to be moving them on more often :-S...........whether they're trying to get everyone on sites to generate income? ;-)

I've only been moved on once - a couple of weeks ago in Tarifa. Parked in a car park, the van a bit long for the bay so front wheels up on the path. No lighting in the car park, went to sleep slightly worried that raising the front of the van would make it easy for someone to get underneath and nick the Catalytic Converter :-S

Woke with a start about 3am - thought I heard a tinny sound (but might have just been a can blowing down the road)

Got out with torch and was looking underneath the van to see if the Cat had been interfered with.

Just at that moment a Police Car arrives :$

2 Policemen get out and come over. I thought they might ask me what I was up to :$

But they just pointed to the front wheels and seem to say the pavement wasn't meant to take the weight of the van :$

So I said OK - and moved onto the Seafront to park. They seemed happy with that.

But the episode had woke me up so I didn't get back to sleep.

Guest Peter James

Well the Walt Disney ones seem to be completed and occupied, unlike the conventional ones left half built. I wondered what sort of an owner would pay to have the boat tarted up with all the 007 regalia *-) But if he is happy with it I guess thats what matters :-)

Peter James - 2013-02-19 5:29 PM

BGD - 2012-12-15 12:16 AM

trickydicky - 2012-12-14 10:05 PM

can anyone give me an update on the possibility of wild camping in santa pola please. has anyone noticed if there are vans parked up there.

Yes.

We wild-camped there for a couple of nights about 4 weeks ago.

But NOT on the seafront in the actual town any longer.....seems there's no more wild camping there at all, so far as we could see.

Instead, it's still OK to wild-camp in the spot that Peter James's post shows photos of......about 1 mile north of the town centre, on the car-park/waste ground area by the small leisure port/boat repair yard.

Peter's photo shows the view from that spot looking inland, to the "Moorish" apartment block across the seafront road. But the parking area is right on the seafront; thus the view from the other direction is the sea, and the bay sweeping round south, to Santa Pola town centre.

There were 3 other MH's there whilst we wild-camped there for two nights.

Police cars cruised by, but no problems at all.

That has got a 'no motorhomes' sign on it now;

It always did. No-one locally takes a blind bit of notice of them...they're only there for the busy summer season.

That's the British reserve in action...................obeying signs, just 'cos they are there.

;-)

BGD - 2013-02-19 10:48 PM

That's the British reserve in action...................obeying signs, just 'cos they are there.

That's as maybe Bruce - but it's better than being woken up in the middle of the night by the local Plod and moved on - or worse - fined and moved on!!

Not worth the risk in my view!!

Remember that the law in Spain is that it is legal to park a motorhome anywhere that any other vehicle may legally park...I've posted the actual legal document in these forums numerous times previously.

But parking (and then sitting/sleeping inside the MH)is all you can officially do......no getting the BBQ/chairs/awning/levelling chocks out, as that changes your state from "parking" to camping", and then the Police can legally move you on.

Its interesting how we differ. Our choice of camping was a field with no houses or people in sight. Just the rabbits and birds. Much the same with parking at the supermarkets now, we park at the furthest point from the door with the view that the excercise is more important than the goods.

We did vist Southern France some years ago and vowed never to go again, call it what you will, but it didn't suit us. The sun is the same whever one goes and so is the colour of the grass, we saw no point in the long journey for what is the same in the UK. And, as I often suggest its all in the mind.

Mrs T

Guest Peter James
Mrs T - 2013-02-20 4:35 PM

The sun is the same whever one goes

Mrs T

People have been sunbathing on the beach here in Benidorm today.

If the sun was the same in Britain I wouldn't have bothered coming here.

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2013-02-20 9:43 AM

BGD - 2013-02-19 10:48 PM

That's as maybe Bruce - but it's better than being woken up in the middle of the night by the local Plod and moved on - or worse - fined and moved on!!

Not worth the risk in my view!!

Parking is like that in Britain isn't it.

But parking isn't such a money grabbing rip off across the channel.

As far as I can see the police in both countries seem to have better things to do than enforce petty parking regulations. But Britain has lots of traffic wardens who don't.

Mrs T - 2013-02-20 5:35 PM

Its interesting how we differ. Our choice of camping was a field with no houses or people in sight. Just the rabbits and birds. Much the same with parking at the supermarkets now, we park at the furthest point from the door with the view that the excercise is more important than the goods.

We did vist Southern France some years ago and vowed never to go again, call it what you will, but it didn't suit us. The sun is the same whever one goes and so is the colour of the grass, we saw no point in the long journey for what is the same in the UK. And, as I often suggest its all in the mind.

Mrs T

Indeed.

No difference whatsoever.

In the culture.

The temperature.

The sunshine.

The art.

The heritage.

The architecture.

The language.

The civility.

The food.

The regulations.

The wine.

The scenery.

The roads.

The people.

The music.

The literature.

The conversation.

The politics.

The roads.

The population density.

The wildlife.

The flora.

The taxes.

The cost of living.

The crime rate.

So basically all of the rest of the world is exactly the same as little Britain.

Not.

Peter James - 2013-02-20 9:05 PM

Parking is like that in Britain isn't it.

But parking isn't such a money grabbing rip off across the channel.

As far as I can see the police in both countries seem to have better things to do than enforce petty parking regulations. But Britain has lots of traffic wardens who don't.

Unless, maybe, there is a sign banning the parking of Motorhomes?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2013-02-21 7:22 AM

Unless, maybe, there is a sign banning the parking of Motorhomes?

Oh I don't mind those because I haven't got a Motorhome

Just a van loaded with furniture ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
so south of France same as south coast of UK.......Next time we are on a beach on the cote de azur I will have to remember that fact...The mind boggles :D

Archived