is there no limit?

peacock312

Just driven up M5 motorway from Bristol in my car, going the other way down was a smallish motorhome pulling a largish looking van on a Aframe,still discussing this ten minutes later my wife shouted LOOK! going down, what i would say was no more than a 6mtr motorhome it was pulling what looked like a small red minibus! it must have been over its MGTW, is there no limit whats pulled on A frames these days?? incidently,yes i have one too,but it only pulls my Clio

The largest i`ve seen is a Mk 1 Range Rover on a A-Frame being pulled by a

Timberland PVC, it was really struggling and smoking quite badly !

Incidentally that was on the M5 as well.

I was under the impression that " GTW, Gross Train Weight " was just that and

the weight of the vehicle towing was added to what was being towed and that`s

the weight that counts.

Regards

Graham.

Wooie - 2012-11-07 6:56 PM

...I was under the impression that " GTW, Gross Train Weight " was just that and

the weight that counts.

The following is a reply from the Department for Transport to a weight-related towing question:

"The maximum laden weight of a trailer which may be towed by a light goods vehicle depends on the stated gross train weight of the towing vehicle (GTW) and/or the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended maximum permissible trailer weight.

Neither the maximum permissible trailer weight nor the maximum gross train weight (the laden weight of the trailer plus the laden weight of the towing vehicle) should be exceeded.

However, it is possible that the stated gross train weight of the towing vehicle is less than the sum of the stated maximum permissible laden weight of the towing vehicle and the stated maximum permissible laden trailer weight. In this case the towing vehicle and the trailer must be loaded such that each does not exceed its individual maximum weight limit and the sum of both does not exceed the maximum gross train weight."

Derek Uzzell - 2012-11-08 7:17 AM

...I was under the impression that " GTW, Gross Train Weight " was just that and

the weight that counts.

The following is a reply from the Department for Transport to a weight-related towing question:

"The maximum laden weight of a trailer which may be towed by a light goods vehicle depends on the stated gross train weight of the towing vehicle (GTW) and/or the vehicle manufacturer’s recommended maximum permissible trailer weight.

Neither the maximum permissible trailer weight nor the maximum gross train weight (the laden weight of the trailer plus the laden weight of the towing vehicle) should be exceeded.

However, it is possible that the stated gross train weight of the towing vehicle is less than the sum of the stated maximum permissible laden weight of the towing vehicle and the stated maximum permissible laden trailer weight. In this case the towing vehicle and the trailer must be loaded such that each does not exceed its individual maximum weight limit and the sum of both does not exceed the maximum gross train weight."

Hi Derek,

Is that not what i put .....( admittedly in very simple terms ) ?

Wooie - 2012-11-08 8:05 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2012-11-08 7:17 AM

the weight that counts.

Hi Derek,

Is that not what i put .....( admittedly in very simple terms ) ?

Just providing a 'from the horse's mouth' authoritative confirmation of your impression.

Archived