Thule Caravan Door Lock - Excellent product.

BGD

I bought and fitted a Thule additional caravan door lock recently whilst we were up in France, and I have to say that I am VERY impressed with it.

It's particularly good feature is that, unlike all the other Fiamma etc versions, you can operate this one from the inside of the Motorhome as well as outside.

So at night it's both extra door security and a highly visual deterrent to attempts at break-in.

http://www.narbonneaccessoires.fr/serrure-de-porte-thule.html

In my opinion, for 79 euros, a very good security product investment.

sshortcircuit - 2012-11-11 5:31 PM

What are the size of the internal part, please?

By the way, what's this wet stuff here in Beni?

I can't tell you at the moment, as the sky is falling in...............we are having a damn monsoon here this afternoon....and I'm not gonna drown myself by venturing out of the villa to the MH in this!

But you should be able to find out by Googling.....

Here's the Thule sales blurb on the lock:-

http://www.thule.com/en/GB/Products/RV-Accessories/SecurityProducts/Thule-Inside_-_out-Lock#

sshortcircuit - 2012-11-11 5:50 PM

Thanks, but could not find sizes on site you linked to. Will keep on looking.

The sizes are in the link that Brambles has put up for you. (I hadn't realised that this lock was also marketed/badged my Milenco as well as Thule/Omnistor, but it is indeed the same product).

The internal, handle/plate part is 94mm wide, by 80mm high.

But the exterior lock plate, and corresponding internal handle plate, need to be set back a little from the edge of the door of course, so they avoid the exterior door frame edging and thus fit flush to the exterior and interior walls of the MH.

So if measuring your MH to see if it'd fit, the 94mm of necessary internal width needs to start at the point where your door external frame edging stops.

sshortcircuit - 2012-11-11 8:06 PMwhy would you need a key on the inside?
 My reason for this is as follows. A small child is put through the roof light that you have left open, his / her job is to open the Habitation door to let  the Adult in to rob the van, if the door is key locked  the kid cannot open it, belt and braces I suppose, but that is the reason my doors are ALL key locked,  I do leave a key in one of the locks whilst sleeping in the van [ Fully Alarmed too.]  I have fitted Heosafe locks to the Cab Doors.http://www.outdoorbits.com/heosafe-door-locks-p-82.html

vindiboy - 2012-11-11 9:50 PM

My reason for this is as follows. A small child is put through the roof light that you have left open, his / her job is to open the Habitation door to let  the Adult in to rob the van, if the door is key locked  the kid cannot open it, belt and braces I suppose, but that is the reason my doors are ALL key locked,  I do leave a key in one of the locks whilst sleeping in the van [ Fully Alarmed too.]  I have fitted Heosafe locks to the Cab Doors.htdamagesww.outdoorbits.com/heosafe-door-locks-p-82.html

Hmmm well I suppose, but the child can just open a window and adult gets in. When I look at my MH it is so easy to get into even with all locks so wonder if worth the hassle of damage when locks are fitted. Hope I do not raise your anxiety level

sshortcircuit - 2012-11-11 10:10 PM

Brambles - 2012-11-11 9:05 PM

Why do I bother posting links -- 94 x 80 high.

See second photo on ebay listing - click on it.

What did I miss?

Sorry! think I got out of sync.

edit - I apologise for what appears to be my abrupt rudeness in earlier post, and not exactly sure why I posted " why do I bother...."

But those are for cab doors, not the caravan door.

They are good though....In fact I have just fitted those, the key-lockable versions, to the insides of the two cab doors (I got a great result on buying them from an ebayer who'd bought but never fitted them: 40 quid!).

I've also fitted two days ago, additional, obvious, deadlocks to the outside of both the cab doors too....like these:

http://www.van-locked.co.uk/Shop/Vans/Fiat-Ducato-~-1996TOSept06/DeadLock.html

I've also just fitted a Fiamma locking arm to the frame beside caravan door, which folds across the original caravan lock so protecting it; and also fitted the additional Fiamma locking piece actually in the middle of the caravan door which the arm locks into.

Oh, and also a heavy steelplate backed hoop, bolted through the caravan door, through which we thread a steel bar on the inside face at night.

Oh, and Milenco window alarms on all internal caravan windows, which can be obviously seen from the outside.

Oh, and a dog inside the van, who is a very good alarm system, too.

The above security improvements may seem over the top if you always stay on big, organised sites.

We wild camp almost all the time we are away in the van, which is a lot.....maybe 60 to 80 nights a year.

Of course, there is no absolute way to prevent MH, burglaries......my intention is to spend a couple of hundred quid to make ours obviously far more highly secure than most, in the hope that the scum sizing ours up will not bother, or will "do" someone else as an easier target.

vindiboy - 2012-11-11 9:50 PM

My reason for this is as follows. A small child is put through the roof light that you have left open, his / her job is to open the Habitation door to let  the Adult in to rob the van, if the door is key locked  the kid cannot open it, belt and braces I suppose, but that is the reason my doors are ALL key locked,  I do leave a key in one of the locks whilst sleeping in the van [ Fully Alarmed too.]  I have fitted Heosafe locks to the Cab Doors.http://www.outdoorbits.com/heosafe-door-locks-p-82.html

Wouldn't it be easier for said kid (having climbed on the roof to enter via the roof light) to just open the cab door? :'(

Edit_ah just seen you have that covered -missed that

vindiboy - 2012-11-11 10:50 PM

Ummmm.......maybe just close rooflights when away from the van?

HMM, several comments needed here, Firstly ,yes the  Heosafe locks are for the cab doors and are great,
 yes, a child could open a window to allow an adult in ,but one hopes someone  might see an Adult climbing in the window, 
 I think  the locks you posted a link to are very good but I could not  fit on to my van because of  the fridge being too close to the entrance door.
 The other poster spoke about stress levels, well I don't do stress, I Wild Camp extensively, I take  all the precautions I can to secure my van and every thing is well Insured so what else can one do, if we were to worry to much about  being broken into we would  never camp in the first place would we , so I just make it as difficult as I can for my van to be entered, if damage is done by some Cretin breaking in, that is covered by Insurance too ,so fingers crossed hey ho .

Archived