Dynaplug tyre repair kit

rogjlew

Manufacturers are increasingly replacing a spare wheel by a repair kit, which involves pumping 'goo' into a punctured tyre. My research indicates that this often produces a less than satisfactory seal and if used renders the tyre unrepairable thereafter. Looking for a better alternative, I have come across Dynaplugs which do seem to get better reviews. As the alternative seems to be to purchase and carry a proper spare wheel, with the attendant cost and extra weight, I am wondering if anybody has any experience of dynaplug?

A potential problem with Dynaplug, where motorhomes are concerned, will be to locate/access the puncture before inserting the plug. This isn't the case with a 'goo' repair kit, where the sealant is introduced through the (normally) easily accessible tyre-valve.

If I had a motorhome with no spare wheel, and no means of carrying one, I'd have the tyres treated with "Ultraseal"-type sealant. This would seem preferable to either the repair-kit or Dynaplug approach.

I came to the same conclusion that Derek came to when I first had my Pilote A class with no spare wheel.After five years my tyres were starting to look their age so I had new tyres fitted. It was interesting to see on the tyres that came off the Puncturesafe was where it should be and caused no problems to the tyre fitter. I now needed my new tyres to be treated so had the local rep. come round and he convinced me that being a Puncturesafe installer would be a good fit with mymotorhome valeting business. Further advantages to Puncturesafe are that the tyres run cooler and have a better balance

There's useful advice on puncture repairs here:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/tyre-repairs-and-sealants.html

In the original posting rogjlew says of 'goo' post-puncture repair kits "...My research indicates that this often produces a less than satisfactory seal and if used renders the tyre unrepairable thereafter..."

This type of repair approach can only do so much and won't handle really serious damage - but neither will Dynaplug. Regarding rendering a tyre unrepairable, the type of sealant used in the past was very difficult to remove from a tyre's interior surface, complicating traditional repairs. Water-soluble sealants such as "PunctureSafe" and "Slime" are claimed to be easily removable and to allow a subsequent 'permanent' repair using standard methods.

WildBill mentions some countries' requirement that a spare wheel/tyre be carried. I'm tempted to ask "Which countries?", but this link may be useful:

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/community/discussions/caravan-sites/overseas-sites/Rules-to-drive-in-Italy--compulsory-spare-tyre/rt/277224/

A couple of years ago I had a valve failure in a rear wheel at about 55mph. By the time I stopped in a reasonably controlled fashion the tyre was totally destroyed. Fortunately I had a spare as without it I would have been completely stuck. I will never now have a vehicle without a spare wheel of some sort.The failure was I think due to the type of wheeltrim fitted by the converter of this Transit van which moved round the wheel and eventually damaged the valve.

A couple of years ago I had a valve failure in a rear wheel at about 55mph. By the time I stopped in a reasonably controlled fashion the tyre was totally destroyed. Fortunately I had a spare as without it I would have been completely stuck. I will never now have a vehicle without a spare wheel of some sort.The failure was I think due to the type of wheeltrim fitted by the converter of this Transit van which moved round the wheel and eventually damaged the valve.

I had a puncture on my front offside a couple of years ago. I changed the wheel and took the tyre to get replaced. The chap checked to see where the puncture was and found that someone had actually slashed the tyre valve. He said that I was quite lucky, if it had failked at speed it could have been a disaster. When I asked about tyre gue he said that it would not have done anything to save this sort of puncture.

bodach - 2012-11-16 8:10 PM

This may not apply to your Transit-based motothome, but tyre-valve failure on Mk 6 Transits (2000-2006) was far from unknown. These are earlier related forum threads:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=4963&posts=27

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9484&posts=21

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=16256&posts=7

Wading through the threads will reveal that I had both rear-tyre valves fail on my Hobby motorhome. The vehicle was driven for an unknown distance with a seriously reduced pressure in one rear tyre following the valve's metal core becoming unbonded from its rubber body, and the seond valve failed in a similar manner when I was replacing the wheel with the failed valve with the spare wheel. Although I had a spare wheel (and was capable of fitting it), the two failed valves meant I was stuck.

So, even if a motorhome has a spare wheel, Sod's Law can still apply.

Thanks Derek.Wish I had known this earlier as it would explain another valve failure I had in Dornoch. The van converter had supplied a new vehicle jack but I discovered that the handle did not fit. Much bad language ensued and had to wait 3 hours fot the AA to send someone from Nairn. Geography does not seem to their strong point.I have now gone to Fiat Ducato.

Notwithstanding all the advise we get from our Forum regulars, my advise as a proffesional driver, ( not necessarily a good driver), is to never, ever buy a road vehicle that does not have a proper spare wheel and the means to change it yourself if you wish.

Driving the mileage that I do I have my share of punctures, most often the tyres are not repairable, on a couple of occasions I have punctured 2 tyres at th same time. Without a spare and the tools it means a delay running into hours, and buying tyres that may not be your first choice at prices that should be criminal.

Spacesaver tyres are possibly OK if on your car if you only toddle around locally, and are not too inconvenienced by the 50 mph/50 mile restrictions, but otherwise it must be a proper spare and the tools.

AGD

Archived