milan

derek pringle

Hi All,

Any help more than welcome.

We intend to visit Italy again next year as part of our holiday and as we will be passing close to Milan thought it might be nice to visit. Due to my not being very mobile we would have to be selective about the size of the area we covered. I think we would aim for the Cathedral and concentrate in that small part of the town. I was wondering if anybody out there knew of a site very close to the town or an Aire, anywhere we could stay safely, we do not wildcamp. Do not mind somewhere reasonably accessible by public transport but not too far.

thanks in anticipation

cheers

derek

http://en.camping.info/italy/lombardy/milan/campsites  We stayed on a Camp Site in Milan, can't remember which one off hand  I have it written down somewhere, but we rode a bus into town from it, all very easy, we visited the Cysteine Chapel and saw the painting, and then on the bus again to the Cathedral, very easy driving round Milan as I remember , bus tickets are timed so  if you get a return it could run out before you decide to  come back so may be better getting a one a way.

I think you are looking for Camping Citti di Milano, Via Gaetano Airaghi 61, Milano. GPS N45.47436 E9.08227. Via Airaghi is west of the city centre, just east of the A50 (Svincolo Figino). The surrounding area is predominantly flat, and is where a lot of risotto rice is grown. Rice = water, and water = mosquitoes! Not plague proportions, but more or less ever-present. Be prepared!

Well organised, multilingual reception, excellent security, facilities OK to good - but looking in need of a refurb. Van + 2 with EHU €29.90 per night October 2012.

Bus + metro to city centre (Duomo) - about 5 miles. Bus leaves from Via Ciao Mario in Quinto Romano, about half a mile from the site. Footpath most of the way. Small super near bus stop. One timed ticket all the way. You'll need a return. Tickets from "Tabac" kiosk in Via Privata Giuseppe Chiostergi, near bus stop. Ask at reception for times etc. Leave bus at "De Angeli" metro station and take metro to "Duomo". Depending on your mobility problem, it may be wise to check facilities for the disabled beforehand.

Cathedral spectacular from outside, rather less so inside, but well worth the trip. Also spectacular 19C shopping arcade, Galleria Vittorio Emanuele. Milan centre is quite compact, and fairly level.

Guest Peter James

The only thing I can add to Brian Kirby's excellent summary is, if you can, take the walk on the cathedral roof.

There is a very famous ornate shopping arcade nearby, but from my memory it is no better than the one in Leeds.

Brian Kirby - 2012-11-19 7:29 PM

Cathedral spectacular from outside, rather less so inside, but well worth the trip. Also spectacular 19C shopping arcade, Galleria Vittorio Emanuele. Milan centre is quite compact, and fairly level.

I agree that from the outside the cathedral is spectactular - but - many years ago - we were't allowed in because my wife was wearing a sleeveless dress !

Be warned.

;-)

Guest JudgeMental

Campsite Città di Milano a fair bit out, There are a number of Sostas/Aires nearer centre, 2 within .4 ml and one .3 ml of the underground.

Depending on time of year this would be my choice. Even in August we were surprised to find some Italian aires with loads of room.

If this is of interest I will have a closer look for you...

Guest JudgeMental

I always pass by..but if Brian bothered the answer must be YES! :D

4 hrs drive south you are in Tuscany...Now your talking! Cant wait to go back

derek pringle - 2012-11-20 9:29 AM

Hi,

Thanks all for these replies. Main supplementary question I should have asked--Is Milan worth the effort to see?

cheers

derek

That depends Derek;

if you like looking at architecture then quite probably.

Milan Cathedral, The Galleria Vittorio Emanuel, The Pirelli Tower, and a few other things.

I'd say people watching would be good, Milan is a very fashionable city, so plenty of scope.

If buildings don't grab you I'd still guess it would be worth a look.

cheers,

alan b

Guest Peter James
malc d - 2012-11-19 7:39 PM

I agree that from the outside the cathedral is spectactular - but - many years ago - we were't allowed in because my wife was wearing a sleeveless dress !

Be warned.

;-)

The Italians are a bit funny like that. I was working on building sites and however hot it got, the Italian men would never take their shirts off when women were about. Its apparently some sort of an insult to a woman for a man to walk about bare chested - unless on the beach where both men and women may be bare chested :-)

Peter James - 2012-11-20 11:03 AM

snowie - 2012-11-20 10:32 AM

The Galleria Vittorio Emanuel,

alan b

Thats the one I was thinking of, Thanks.

I think it's a bit bigger than any in Leeds Peter, and a cappuchino will cost a bit more I bet!!

alan b

Archived