New Sat Nav

Tomored

Hi, With Christmas fast approaching I was thinking of buying myself a new Sat Nav.

I was thinking of getting a TomTom Caravan and Camper having had a few problems with my present sat nav leading me into narrow streets and under very low bridges that decapitated the aerial on the roof.

What I would really like to know is if anyone has any experience of this sat nav, and how it compares

with others on the market. Any opinions or advice would be welcome

Guest JudgeMental
stick with a cheaper one..not really your sat navs problem, but yours for taking it a bit to literally, none are infallible....Mine leads me up the garden path all the time, just need to learn to ignore it (haven't yet!) :-D

I'vs got one and love it. I'm in no position to say it's better than any equivelent I but can say it's better than my old TomTom One Edition. Like some of the others you can feed in your vans measurement to avoid low bridges etc, it's also live so is updating all the time and can offer a different route if it thinks you will be delayed.

Hi

Have the Tom Tom GO Camper/Caravan and find it an improvement over my previous sat nav. Managed to get it at a 22% discount without which I would have regarded it as a wee bit overpriced. Current sat nav died so I had to replace it.

If you don't have a large or high motorhome I doubt whether it really has many benefits. Having a van conversion I tend to let it plan the route in motorhome mode and then car mode to check the difference. If the variations are concerned with minor roads then its worth taking note of but I do notice it will occasionally switch you from good A roads to motorways and add a few miles.

The display is larger (5 inches) and also clearer and I have to say it is much more responsive to screen prods. The larger screen makes it easier to enter alphanumeric characters, if like me you have not so nimble fingers. Probably the biggest change is the means by which the whole thing is updated and managed. It uses a different software approach where the device is managed via Tom Tom's website and POI's and other data are effectively uploaded via their website onto your device. No longer is it possible to make a backup of the device onto your own PC. I would imagine this has been done to protect map data from misuse.

If you travel abroad then of course it has the advantage of being able to accommodate the maps of many more countries rather have them split into various smaller areas as on the earlier devices with a more limited memory. This does make driving from one country into another a seamless journey. Live Services is better than earlier models with a more user friendly way of presenting the information

All in all I'm pleased with the purchase but I do feel at full price it overpriced, The GO1005 is the same model without the Camper/Caravan options and may well suit a lot of people with more modest sized motorhomes.

Graham

Hi, Many thanks to all those replies.

One thing that I left out of my original posting ,was the fact that I often go to Italy or Croatia via Germany and therefore have to set my tomtom with eastern european maps which do not include France and England, (due to the small 2kb memory). Which leaves me without a sat nav if I wanted to return through France.Then on return have to reset the maps to western europe. A lot of faffing about. Alternative is to carry two sat navs. This caravan and camper model is supposed to map 45 countries. The price of this model though seems very high. Any futher thoughts?

First Gps I had was for hill walking a Magelan, it still works and I use it around walks in Scotland, as well as a compass. For the car the first one was a Mio from Halfords and I had to change the card every time I crossed a border. Next was a Michelin Via withy a full europe map. I still use that , as well as the Snooper, you gets what you pay for.

Tomored - 2012-11-23 6:08 PM

One thing that I left out of my original posting ,was the fact that I often go to Italy or Croatia via Germany and therefore have to set my tomtom with eastern european maps which do not include France and England, (due to the small 2kb memory). Which leaves me without a sat nav if I wanted to return through France.Then on return have to reset the maps to western europe. A lot of faffing about. Alternative is to carry two sat navs. This caravan and camper model is supposed to map 45 countries. The price of this model though seems very high. Any futher thoughts?

Had the same problem with an XXL, it said full european but on first update couldn't hold full maps, now have a via with 4gb and microSD card, from specs the tomtom c&c also has a microSD slot, so should be ok.

colin - 2012-11-24 3:01 PM

Tomored - 2012-11-23 6:08 PM

Had the same problem with an XXL, it said full european but on first update couldn't hold full maps, now have a via with 4gb and micro SD card, from specs the tomtom c&c also has a micro SD slot, so should be ok.

Whatever make you choose, providing the mapping can be part installed onto SD, I think an SD card slot essential. Each map update is larger than the one it replaces, as they are continually adding data. There seems to be a reluctance to incorporate extra memory on the units, so that they are future proofed, so using SD is the best, and now quite cheap, work around. Ours needed the SD for mapping on the third update. Once you have the card, you can download POIs, pictures, music or whatever to the SD, as well as the mapping. I stuck an 8gb card in ours, and it still has loads spare.

Hi Tom,

I've had a Tom Tom One 'New Edition' for 6 years or so, and have always been very pleased with it, upgraded the maps ( UK & Ireland) a couple of times, and 'Know my way around it' got loads of POI's on it, BUT you do have to be aware that 'IT' thinks you are in a 'small runabout'.

This Year we are going to 'Try Europe' for the first time (in a Motorhome anyway !) So, instead of buying a 'Europe' map SD card, I decided to go the 'Whole Hog' and get the 'Tom Tom Go, camper & Caravan ', via the Caravan Club members special offers, it's still not cheap (£319) but a lot cheaper than elswhere and you get a free carry case. Just hope it is as reliable and 'Does what it says on the box' If you are still wavering ? I'll let you know how i get on in a couple of months. Ray

Just realised what Brian has posted above, I assumed (never assume) that all Tom toms had SD cards ? am I wrong ? If it hasn't, it's too late, i've already paid for it. Should have checked.

Just Checked, 8gb of internal memory AND an SD slot. so, looks ok, Ray.

The sat-nav included with my new Autotrail makes a good paper-weight and thats all.

Don't overlook the unbranded generic units, they do everything you want and a host more, all come with expandable msd slots. They can be programmed for vehicle type, and the mapping is exactly the same (navigator) as on highly overpriced units.

We had already got a tomtom in the car, and a garmin on the motorbike, however, we bought one like this, and now use it on both, map upgrades are free for a lifetime.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-7-inch-GPS-Car-Navigation-SAT-NAV-Navigator-4GB-UK-EU-Maps-Bluetooth-AV-IN-/330836139357?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4d075edd5d

They are available in a 5 inch version, but we got the 7 inch as I use the e-reader function as well.

Why spend £300+ on just a sat-nav, when this will do so much more.

Tomored,

Got my new Tom Tom Camper version, bit dissapointed, unable to download POI's direct from the tom tom website (crazy !) No 'Itinery' as a list of destinations, use (used) to use that a lot, The 'Postcode' button, as a destination is missing, it's now linked

with city name and a lot more 'clunky', No Caravan Club sites downloaded as Poi's ?? (which is a bit weird, as the discount offer was in the Caravan Club member magazine). All in all , hardly worth all the money, even at a Discount, I won't be throwing away my 'ONE new edition' just yet.

OH, and the card slot is for 'Micro SD' cards NOT standard ones. Pleased but not as much as I should be, considering the high price. Ray

We have a special system. Tom Tom lady tells me where to go. I take the turning then wife tells me after I've turned we shouldn't have turned down said road. We find ourselves in a very narrow road at best or stuck. Wife says fancy turning down there. I told you not to. So as with everything else it's my fault again.

Do bear in mind Sat Navs that allow you to the dimensions of your out fit are a bit of a gimmick as they are only as good as the information on their maps. Said mapping systems may have some information on restrictions on major routs most of which won't be applicable to you. On the smaller roads the information simply does not exist. I'd go for a more standard unit and use a bit of common sense. If it decides to send you down a dodgy looking road to take a short cut ignore it and it will sort out an alternative rout.

donna miller - 2012-11-27 10:10 PM

Don't overlook the unbranded generic units, they do everything you want and a host more, all come with expandable msd slots. They can be programmed for vehicle type, and the mapping is exactly the same (navigator) as on highly overpriced units.

We had already got a tomtom in the car, and a garmin on the motorbike, however, we bought one like this, and now use it on both, map upgrades are free for a lifetime.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-7-inch-GPS-Car-Navigation-SAT-NAV-Navigator-4GB-UK-EU-Maps-Bluetooth-AV-IN-/330836139357?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4d075edd5d

They are available in a 5 inch version, but we got the 7 inch as I use the e-reader function as well.

Why spend £300+ on just a sat-nav, when this will do so much more.

How detailed are the maps? The 4GB available would not be large enough to hold the TomTom Euro maps.

Maps are very detailed and even show graphics of major motorway junctions with their signs, and tell you which lane to be in.

As well as the loaded info, you can also add your own POI's, for example when you pull up info on a campsite it will give you phone numbers etc.

I can't see why you think 4gb is not enough for the European mapping, I can't swear to it without going and getting my unit but I am sure it's only a 2gb card and that has all of western Europe on that.

This one gives a list of countries pre installed.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-7-inch-GPS-Car-Navigation-SAT-NAV-Navigator-4GB-UK-EU-Maps-Bluetooth-AV-IN-/350656119680?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item51a4bbc380

Colin Leake - 2012-11-28 7:09 PM

We have a special system. Tom Tom lady tells me where to go. I take the turning then wife tells me after I've turned we shouldn't have turned down said road. We find ourselves in a very narrow road at best or stuck. Wife says fancy turning down there. I told you not to. So as with everything else it's my fault again.

Do bear in mind Sat Navs that allow you to the dimensions of your out fit are a bit of a gimmick as they are only as good as the information on their maps. Said mapping systems may have some information on restrictions on major routs most of which won't be applicable to you. On the smaller roads the information simply does not exist. I'd go for a more standard unit and use a bit of common sense. If it decides to send you down a dodgy looking road to take a short cut ignore it and it will sort out an alternative rout.

I've been doing that for the last 6 years with a Tom Tom one, updating the maps often. But now i have a larger/longer/newer motorhome, i don't want to rely on my ' intuition' alone. For the price I expected something like a 'Google earth' road survey using lasers, (the technology exists). The Tom Tom camper edition, is nearly £400 if you pay the full price for goodness sake.

This year in North Norfolk I was 'caught out' when driving on the A149 nr Holkam Hall, a 6' 6" width limit !! on an 'A' road, I must admit i was so flabbergasted that I jammed on the brakes (sorry if you were in the car behind !!) there was a reasonable alternative (but not signed as a 'Detour').

How they got permission to stick a 6' 6" width limit on an 'A' road, I will never know.

Anyway, I will be putting more trust in this 'Camper edition' as I will be venturing into Europe this year, and the Missus cannot read maps. Ray

Rayjsj - 2012-11-28 8:46 PM

Colin Leake - 2012-11-28 7:09 PM

I've been doing that for the last 6 years with a Tom Tom one, updating the maps often. But now i have a larger/longer/newer motorhome, i don't want to rely on my ' intuition' alone. For the price I expected something like a 'Google earth' road survey using lasers, (the technology exists). The Tom Tom camper edition, is nearly £400 if you pay the full price for goodness sake.

This year in North Norfolk I was 'caught out' when driving on the A149 nr Holkam Hall, a 6' 6" width limit !! on an 'A' road, I must admit i was so flabbergasted that I jammed on the brakes (sorry if you were in the car behind !!) there was a reasonable alternative (but not signed as a 'Detour').

How they got permission to stick a 6' 6" width limit on an 'A' road, I will never know.

Anyway, I will be putting more trust in this 'Camper edition' as I will be venturing into Europe this year, and the Missus cannot read maps. Ray

We tend not to use motorways when traveling on the continent. My wife can read maps just fine but has a tendency to drop off to sleep when traveling then wake up and ask where we are. Tends to deminish my confidence in her as a navigator.

• 2 weeks later...

Are these eBay unbranded sat navs as good as you say? How often are the maps updated? Which country maps are included?

Very interested in the possibility of these 'unbranded units'. I look forward to receiving news of your own experiences. On eBay the link that you gave states that the bidding has ended but there do seem to be others on eBay. Thanks.

Last week we had some one attempt to get to us with a cheap ebay satnav, first he was over an hour late as it couldn't find his first stop at Lakenheath, then he rang me whilst heading south on A1 back towards London, I had to give him directions and then intrecept him enroute, there where lots of swear words from him about his new satnav.

Rees,

Go for a 'Branded' one, and keep it updated by conecting to the manufacturers website often, it's Free. Unless you want to buy a complete new map, and sometimes even new maps come in the price.There are a lot of good deals around at the moment.

A cheap unreliable Sat-Nav is worse than NO sat-nav. Ray

As a warning to anyone thinking of getting a 'New' 'Camper' Sat-nav for Christmas, i would recommend reading the reviews of the differant devices on Amazon's website, most enlighting, I wish I had read them before parting with my £300. Who says that technology only marches fowards ??

It often stumbles and walks backwards,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Caravan-Lifetime-Traffic-Subscription/dp/B004K6L81U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355396290&sr=8-1

The Tom Tom isn't any better. Ray

Hi,

If it is any help, just bought a Garmin Dezl 560LMT from Garmin but through the C C Club £350 with £50 cash back , so for £300 net you get free European mapping and Traffic lifetime updates, a range of fitting accessories and a trial for safety camera spotting. Only had for a short while but seems quite good. Has thousands of poi and campsite both UK and Europe. The voice is on an adjustable audio slider from mute to quite high, so good for the more hard of hearing or otherwise.

Archived