New Sat Nav

Tomored

Hi Tomored,

Log on to WWW.medion.co.uk/shop and have a look at their range of Sat Navs, Very good German quality, and a lot more for yor money. Whats considered an extra on other makes, is normally included as standard on a Medion. Mine is now 5 years old and as never once let me down.

Cheers EM.

We have had a few Garmins over the years and prefer them to the TT for a variety of reasons. Some years ago we bought a 7" screen Garmin which has given us a long life of faithful service and I purchased the life time updates.

I don't want to get rid off it as it has a remote control which the co pilot can operate comfortably without having to climb half way over the dash - I haven't been able to find any of the current models with a remote. BUT whilst away this summer it did throw a bit of a wobbly but I was able to recover it as I had all the gubbins on my laptop. At about the same time my Kindle also decided to have a minor infarction - again I managed to recover it. Both have continued to operate happily since then but I was looking for something cheap as a back up in case it happened again and 1 or both could not be recovered.

After seeing Donnas post above and remembering her posting on the same subject a while ago I followed her link and have bought the 7" version with a revering camera - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330750945139?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Well so far I am impressed - The navi is quick to load - quick to find the addresses - has found better routes and the kit can do so much more. The revering camera is transmitted to the front and I was a bit sceptical that it would reach down our 8.5 meter 'van but it does and gives an exceptionally clear picture. The E reader is also good using txt format but is in widescreen (not much of a problem). It can transmit audio (from the navi and from mp3s to the car radio via FM. Also it can play video and jpeg files. It has WIN CE as an operating system so can be used for much more.

OK if it lasts a couple of years it will have more than paid for itself and with the lifetime mapping updates it has already paid for itself as Garmin charged me £75 for their lifetime mapping on top of the price of the sat nav.

So far I think it well worth the 77 quid.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental
Frankkia - 2012-12-19 12:08 AM

We have had a few Garmins over the years and prefer them to the TT for a variety of reasons. Some years ago we bought a 7" screen Garmin which has given us a long life of faithful service and I purchased the life time updates.

I don't want to get rid off it as it has a remote control which the co pilot can operate comfortably without having to climb half way over the dash - I haven't been able to find any of the current models with a remote. BUT whilst away this summer it did throw a bit of a wobbly but I was able to recover it as I had all the gubbins on my laptop. At about the same time my Kindle also decided to have a minor infarction - again I managed to recover it. Both have continued to operate happily since then but I was looking for something cheap as a back up in case it happened again and 1 or both could not be recovered.

After seeing Donnas post above and remembering her posting on the same subject a while ago I followed her link and have bought the 7" version with a revering camera - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330750945139?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Well so far I am impressed - The navi is quick to load - quick to find the addresses - has found better routes and the kit can do so much more. The revering camera is transmitted to the front and I was a bit sceptical that it would reach down our 8.5 meter 'van but it does and gives an exceptionally clear picture. The E reader is also good using txt format but is in widescreen (not much of a problem). It can transmit audio (from the navi and from mp3s to the car radio via FM. Also it can play video and jpeg files. It has WIN CE as an operating system so can be used for much more.

OK if it lasts a couple of years it will have more than paid for itself and with the lifetime mapping updates it has already paid for itself as Garmin charged me £75 for their lifetime mapping on top of the price of the sat nav.

So far I think it well worth the 77 quid.

Hi Bernie...I think I would miss the planning of routes on PC and uploading/downloading to sat navfrom garmin mapsource

can you do something similar with these units as I could do with a new one....

Sorry for the delay in answering.

I haven't tried that yet but the maps are on the included SD card so maybe they could be loaded on a laptop. I can't try that at the mo as I am away from home and don't have the sat nav with me (in the car which has own sat nav built in.

Guest JudgeMental
Frankkia - 2013-01-10 6:00 PM

Sorry for the delay in answering.

I haven't tried that yet but the maps are on the included SD card so maybe they could be loaded on a laptop. I can't try that at the mo as I am away from home and don't have the sat nav with me (in the car which has own sat nav built in.

in no rush...would you mind having a look when you get home please? what mapping do they use?

Will do - Back by next week - I hope.

The navi system is "I Go My Way" with updates from "naviextras" - according to their web site their mapping is in quite a lot of generic and built in to car equipment.

I took the include 4Gb card out and copied it to an 8 Gb micro SD card so that there was more room for additional music and photos. Easy operation and the system still works!

Guest JudgeMental
Frankkia - 2013-01-10 10:35 PM

Will do - Back by next week - I hope.

The navi system is "I Go My Way" with updates from "naviextras" - according to their web site their mapping is in quite a lot of generic and built in to car equipment.

I took the include 4Gb card out and copied it to an 8 Gb micro SD card so that there was more room for additional music and photos. Easy operation and the system still works!

cheers Bernie...does it have postcode search?

Hi Eddie

No doesn't appear to have post code search but it does have coordinate search. It also has quite a lot of POIs including a folder designated "My POIs" where I assume user POIs may be added but I haven't had the time to research this yet.

Also there is a "History" and "Favourites" as well as "Track Logs".

Another feature is that it will warn you if you are speeding but you don't need to have the speed cam database activated.

Frankkia - 2013-01-12 7:54 PM

Hi Eddie

No doesn't appear to have post code search but it does have coordinate search. It also has quite a lot of POIs including a folder designated "My POIs" where I assume user POIs may be added but I haven't had the time to research this yet.

Also there is a "History" and "Favourites" as well as "Track Logs".

Another feature is that it will warn you if you are speeding but you don't need to have the speed cam database activated.

There are a number of different versions of IGO around, but many/most of them allow input of a 7 digit UK postcode.

On mine, for instance, the code is input instead of the Town name when finding a destination. Note that, to enter a 7-digit code, the space must be inserted between the two parts of the code.

Might be worth a try on yours.

As for POIs, they are extremely flexible, but can be slightly messy to upload if you want to make the most of them (especially as you may have to convert your desired set from a different format). It is relatively easy once you have done it and understand the process.

My post here may help:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/How-to-use-IGO8-and-POIs/28149/?posts=1

Just got home and seen Robinhoods post.

All I can say is wow!

I have tried RHs post code input method and yes it works so the answer to Eddies post is yes you can input post codes.

I have read RHs method for input of POIs and will wait till I sober up to try that!

have tried and failed to load IGO to my windows 64 bit machine and it wasn't impressed so more work to do on that.

Will let you know if I succeed. Don't hold your breath!

Frankkia - 2013-01-13 1:06 AM

Just got home and seen Robinhoods post.

All I can say is wow!

I have tried RHs post code input method and yes it works so the answer to Eddies post is yes you can input post codes.

:-D

I have read RHs method for input of POIs and will wait till I sober up to try that!

The first step is relatively simple (once you've sourced or converted .KML POIs). It is fully functional after this, but not as good as it can be by continuing with the second step (which requires a bit more work!).

(Whilst the write-up is for IGO8, I have had a response from a forum member that he did the two stages for IGO Primo - a newer and slightly different version - successfully with only minor tweaks in editing).

Good idea to wait till you're sober - I needed a drink after I'd successfully completed it.

have tried and failed to load IGO to my windows 64 bit machine and it wasn't impressed so more work to do on that.

Will let you know if I succeed. Don't hold your breath!

It's designed to run on Windows Mobile, a rather different beast, so I'm certainly not holding my breath. ;-)

As I've previously posted, I like the IGO platform, and it works well for me.

I have used Navigator from MapFactor for several years on a netbook.

http://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/en/

My partner keeps it on her knees and advises on directions. That meens I am not distracted by lookinfg at the screen.

Recently they have released a free version for Android (v2.3 or greater) which uses Open Street Maps. I bought an Archos 80 G9 tablet an have been very pleased with the combination. A tablet can surf the web or send and receive emails assuming either a mobile connection or WiFi. It is also easier to use as there is no keyboard and the battery lasts longer.

More recently still commercial maps have been available and we purchase Europe (inc UK) for €19.99. These are supplied bt TeleAtlas which is owned by TomTom. The commercial maps are better in the sense most of the junctions details are more 'comprehensive' as they do not rely on a volunteer correcting faults an omissions. The routing is also therefore much more reliable.

There is a 'truck' version that permits the entry of height, length, width and weight and routes accordingly. This is more expensive and for motorhomes and caravan probably unnecessary unless your outfit id enormous. Careful selection of the roads that you prefer and those that you certainly dont want to use, including tolls provides sufficient customisation for most users.

My one gripe is probably with the Archos tablet which sometimes struggles to get a satellite fix. I have spoken with others who use different hardware and do not experience this problem. However the Archos has an 8" screen (4:3 ratio) which I prefer to the longer 16:9 and presents a map both twice as high and wide as a 4" screen. This is perfect for those of us whose eyes are not quite as young as they used to be.

HTH

kindest regards

Roger

Frankkia - 2013-01-10 10:35 PMWill do - Back by next week - I hope.The navi system is "I Go My Way" with updates from "naviextras" - according to their web site their mapping is in quite a lot of generic and built in to car equipment.I took the include 4Gb card out and copied it to an 8 Gb micro SD card so that there was more room for additional music and photos. Easy operation and the system still works!

Hi Bernie

I have a special interest in satnav software that can run on non proprietary hardware.

Had a look at IGO but was disappointed that it only seems supported iPhone although I believe Windows 8 is coming! The maps info mention 'TA' which I presume means TeleAtlas which is owned now by TomTom and does crop up in many inbuilt systems.

I think that there are only a few other mapping systems that offer offline data NavTeq, and Open Street Maps. Google requires a network connction and Apple has its own problems.

IGO is not cheap and I have full European commercial maps (TeleAtlas) from MapFactor for Navigator Free for 19.99 Euros.

See my previous post!

Roger

Archived