Log burner for your motorhome?

Mel B

Retread24800 - 2012-11-23 11:41 PM

Seriously these things are lethal in anything other than a totally out door environment......

A log burning stove inside a van is quite feasible........as long as it's not an RV, CB, A Class etc. Some years back touring the south of France I came across a young UK couple who had chucked in their full time jobs, pooled their resources and bought an old coach for a few hundred quid which they had converted.

Complete with full sized log burner stove fitted inside.

It can be done.........just not in any MH type I can think of!

Guest JudgeMental

Lad who delivers our fire wood lives in Cambridge but works in Surrey all week, and stays in a transit van with a wood burner...no lighting or electric hook up, simply reads by light from stove,

It must be extremely hot as ours gives out tremendous heat. The best home improvement we have invested in, but in a CB it would probably mealt like chocolate..... :-D

Guest JudgeMental
Brambles - 2012-11-24 10:13 AM

JudgeMental - 2012-11-24 9:43 AM

..........., but in a CB it would probably mealt like chocolate..... :-D

Be even worse in a PVC as so much smaller and all those metal panels reflecting the heat back in.

>:-)

Ah! But you have that big sliding door...your right of course, maybe only in a big old Merc Tin can Conversion......

Bulletguy - 2012-11-24 2:42 AM
Retread24800 - 2012-11-23 11:41 PMSeriously these things are lethal in anything other than a totally out door environment......
A log burning stove inside a van is quite feasible........as long as it's not an RV, CB, A Class etc. Some years back touring the south of France I came across a young UK couple who had chucked in their full time jobs, pooled their resources and bought an old coach for a few hundred quid which they had converted.Complete with full sized log burner stove fitted inside. It can be done.........just not in any MH type I can think of!

A Wood burning stove that draws air for combustion from outside the van is possible but this type of stove has no provision for that and its use in a closed space would quickly render the inhabitants dead from carbon monoxide poisoning.

When you're a bit on the old side of life's equation it is great fun to watch these silly b*****s making such stupid statements. Provided you have adequate ventilation and a half decent chimney it is possible and safe to fit a solid fuel stove in any enclosed space. In the days before we had the internet with all it's experts such stoves were fitted to almost everything. The ones fitted in the guardsvan on the old freight trains was a tiny but superb bit if kit, the one in my great grandparents working canal boat incorporated the cooking facilities, and the one on the 44foot sailing boat we built had the boiler for the central heating included. Adequate ventilation is the key, but do be warned, you must not drill ventilation holes in the bottom of your boat, it makes very difficult to get the fire to light.

AGD

When you're a bit on the old side of life's equation it is great fun to watch these silly b*****s making such stupid statements. Provided you have adequate ventilation and a half decent chimney it is possible and safe to fit a solid fuel stove in any enclosed space. In the days before we had the internet with all it's experts such stoves were fitted to almost everything. The ones fitted in the guardsvan on the old freight trains was a tiny but superb bit if kit, the one in my great grandparents working canal boat incorporated the cooking facilities, and the one on the 44foot sailing boat we built had the boiler for the central heating included. Adequate ventilation is the key, but do be warned, you must not drill ventilation holes in the bottom of your boat, it makes very difficult to get the fire to light.

AGD

Archiesgrandad - 2012-11-24 3:45 PM

but do be warned, you must not drill ventilation holes in the bottom of your boat, it makes very difficult to get the fire to light.

AGD

(lol) (lol) (lol)

Given the current regulations for fitting log burners in homes these days, (something like 0.8 metres away from any timber and the same distance of solid hearth required) it's a small wonder they allow 'em in boats and 'vans.

I was a bit concerned when I saw one on the telly the other day (George Clark's Amazing Spaces) when one was fitted right in the corner of a wooden beach hut. 8-)

Could be good for smoking mackerel though. ;-)

Guest JudgeMental

some good points..far more dangerous then a gas fire... but as long as wall rendered in:

http://shop.vitcas.com/fireplace--stove-maintenance-10-c.asp

back can be 100mm and sides 250-300 mm. as fitted to plenty of narrow boats where weight not a problem,must be a work around...I dont see that it cant be done, .but the weight of stove and wood to feed it not that practicable in a small van

Be even worse in a PVC as so much smaller and all those metal panels reflecting the heat back in.

I'm at a loss as to how you see this in a negative view.

Smaller van = less space to heat which = comfortable temp reached far quicker than a juggernaut van.

And as for 'metal panels reflecting heat back in'.......that just has to be a major plus point.

Bulletguy - 2012-11-24 9:07 PM

I'm at a loss as to how you see this in a negative view.

Smaller van = less space to heat which = comfortable temp reached far quicker than a juggernaut van.

And as for 'metal panels reflecting heat back in'.......that just has to be a major plus point.

Chocolate melts far sooner....oops! sorry, meant 'mealts'

Guest JudgeMental
i hope you lot realise that this constant grammar, spelling comments are not allowed on most forums..in fact any other site that I use its an instant ban to critique poor spelling etc...and rightly .so.

Archived