Which Type of Fire Extinguisher?

BGD

I had a look at the 2kg powder fire extinguisher that I carry in our MH (It came from the last MH that we had for about 5 years and swopped for our current MH this summer) and..............it was slightly out of date.

Actually a little more than slightly.

Well.......................ahem...............................actually quite a lot out of date.

A decade-and-a-half out of date.

Our previous MH was built in 1992, and this fire extinguisher was fitted to it when new, ie it's dated 1992, and thus warranted for the following 5 years, ie up to 1997.

So, only 15 years out of date then.

Oops.

So, I'm gonna actually bite the bullet, throw financial caution totally to the winds, and actually buy a new one!

But the question is, whether to go for another powder type, or buy a carbon-dioxide one instead?

I've used both types in the past during fire extinguisher training at work; both do the job on "normal" and electrical fires, but if you've ever actually seen a powder one used, the mess it makes really is unbelievable..........so I'm minded to go for carbon-dioxide.

So, what type and size do other people carry, and why?

Don't bother with CO2 Bruce, a CO2 unit big enough to be worthwhile is very cumbersome. Consider either dry powder or AFFF foam. I carry one of each, 2 litre AFFF foam just inside hab door in case of a fire in our van 'cos it can be cleaned up easier than powder and a 2 KG dry powder on the drivers doorstep to deal with engine bay fires, either in our van or a fellow motorist's.

D.

I have a similar set up to Dave,in addition a fibreglass fire blanket in the accomodation part,especially by the kitchen. When I was running minibuses,we had 2 extinquishers,(although regs stated only one);one in cab and one in saloon.

Dave Newell - 2012-11-26 2:15 PM

Don't bother with CO2 Bruce, a CO2 unit big enough to be worthwhile is very cumbersome. Consider either dry powder or AFFF foam. I carry one of each, 2 litre AFFF foam just inside hab door in case of a fire in our van 'cos it can be cleaned up easier than powder and a 2 KG dry powder on the drivers doorstep to deal with engine bay fires, either in our van or a fellow motorist's.

D.

Good point Dave - I hadn't considered foam.

That's certainly an option to mull over in the coming days.

Thanks. :-D

BGD - 2012-11-26 12:19 PM

I had a look at the 2kg powder fire extinguisher that I carry in our MH......

I've used both types in the past during fire extinguisher training at work; both do the job on "normal" and electrical fires, but if you've ever actually seen a powder one used, the mess it makes really is unbelievable..........

Who cares about 'the mess' if it at least lessens the damage?

In my days of 'fiddling around' with cars I once set fire to one I was welding. I'd removed the rear subframe (it was a Mini) and had it jacked up on blocks.....so no way of getting the car out quickly. Thankfully I had a full size extinguisher in the Garage and though it made a mess, at least the car was saved not to mention my Garage along with a good deal of embarrassment!

As a motor-sports photographer for 40 years (plus a driver of a couple of Lotus Elans) I have both seen a few vehicle fires and got a deep vested interest in preventing another!

We have a new 2ltr foam bottle for the van interior and a 2kg powder bottle for the engine bay; I'll also leave whatever extinguisher is already in the van in place as well (can't remember what it is: we pick up our "new" 5-yr old van this Saturday).

Cheers,

Pete.

I was on a site in France parked up next an ex fireman who had his own fire training business and I asked him about our fire extinguisher which is out of date also he had a look at it and said that as long as the guage is still in the green it is OK but advised shaking it upside down twice a year to adgitate the powder. When you first turn it upside down you can feel the powder move to the top as a lump but once shaken you can't.

So I have took his advice but will not know if it is good or bad advice if the worst happens and I have to use it.

He did say if I ever have to use it do it from outside of the van as the powder could choke you in a confined space.

He also advised against getting a CO2 Extiguisher as it could put the fire out but the CO2 disperses quickly through the vents and would let the fire start up again as there is no cooling or smothering effect with CO2

Sounds all good sense to me.

Bulletguy - 2012-11-26 10:41 PM

I've used both types in the past during fire extinguisher training at work; both do the job on "normal" and electrical fires, but if you've ever actually seen a powder one used, the mess it makes really is unbelievable..........

In my days of 'fiddling around' with cars I once set fire to one I was welding. I'd removed the rear subframe (it was a Mini) and had it jacked up on blocks.....so no way of getting the car out quickly. Thankfully I had a full size extinguisher in the Garage and though it made a mess, at least the car was saved not to mention my Garage along with a good deal of embarrassment!

Doh.

I think you may have missed the point.

I care. And I suspect most other people would too.

Because if I can put out a fire inside the motorhome WITHOUT the unbelievable mess that using a dry-powder extinguisher involves, then I've achieved exactly the same objective, but without then needing to then spend days/weeks cleaning every nook and cranny of the entire inside of the motorhome.

BGD - 2012-11-27 9:36 AM

Bulletguy - 2012-11-26 10:41 PM

Doh.

I think you may have missed the point.

I care. And I suspect most other people would too.

Because if I can put out a fire inside the motorhome WITHOUT the unbelievable mess that using a dry-powder extinguisher involves, then I've achieved exactly the same objective, but without then needing to then spend days/weeks cleaning every nook and cranny of the entire inside of the motorhome.

If you don't want any 'mess'.....let the thing burn! (lol)

Not sure about you Bruce but my Home, Contents and Van are all insured against fire.

• 2 months later...

Hi to everybody

I am a new forum member and whilst I am also a fire safety professional, I will try to contribute as non-partisan as possible.

Powder extinguishers in caravans are quite an unsuitable option. Apart from the mess caused, you can also cause inhalation problems and you are reducing visibility rapidly. Not good when you are trying to get your family out and scrape together all the important things like passports..

Also, the powder is unable to soak into soft furnishing to kill the last embers of a smouldering fire.

Go for something water based, such as foam or water mist.

Harry

Without trying to ruffle any feathers i suspect many are taking a rather simplistic attitude to fires and 'so called' extinguishers.

Firstly consider what is the most likely type of fire you may have. If it is on site it will either be due to cooking fat igniting because you have been careless, or an electrical fault somewhere. A gas leak is not a problem in this instance unless it ignites. The other thing is to note fire needs 3 things, fuel, ignition source and oxygen. Of these getting rid of the last is usually the best option as the others may not be so easy to stop.

So for cooking fire issues a fire blanket is probably the best option and then removal outside. If it is electrical it may be in a part of the vehicle difficult to get at, plus and this is the most important bit, tackling a fire can very often cause it to inflame rapidly, so with regret I suggest the best option is to get everyone out as quickly as possible and as far away as possible and call the fire brigade. If it is something like an engine fire while driving again get everyone out and away. It may be possible to stop the fire with an extinguisher, but sometimes opening the bonnet can make it worse. I personally feel the many of the so called extinguishers on sale are too small to be really effective and may cause you to be a dumb hero.

Any piece of kit can be replaced, life cannot. You have insurance

Many thanks for all replies.

Update: still hunting for a suitable AFFF extinguisher, as I reckon it's the best bet long term; but as an interim measure I got a new 2kg powder jobbie from a DIY/ironmongers shop in Tavira, on the Algarve in Portugal, a month ago.

At 23 euros it seemed a very good price compared to the prices in Spain for the same type/size of extinguisher.

Archived