Double floor coach built

bolero boy

Hi, will be spending (even) more time in the van now and might be looking to change on our return to England later this month.

Notwithstanding the advantages of where to buy (uk/Europe) or RHD/LHD, I was thinking about a double floored vehicle. I am familiar with most of the a class brands but was wondering which coach builds come with this arrangement? I am looking for the advantages but trying to keep the cost sensible.

I have seen rapido, pilote, Carthago. Any other thoughts?

Many thanks.

Guest JudgeMental

Our euramobil had double floor and was a budget van. I would look at the euramobil terrestra range, much better quality then profila. Can help if you want to get one fom Europe. ....

http://www.euramobil.de/modelle_terrestra_teilintegriert.html?L=1

Believe it on not you can even get a PVC with double floor now...it's German (funny that) and built by.La Strada

I have the "A" class Frankia - The 1st brand to do double floors. But they do the whole range in "A", "C" and low profile versions.

I can give you the name of a good (English speaking) German dealer if you need it.

Note: German 'vans are designated:

"I" = Integriert (Integrated) - "A" class

"A" = Alkoven - "C" class

"T" = Teil integriert - Low profile

Guest JudgeMental
bolero boy - 2012-11-28 12:26 PM

Thanks Eddie, looking for a low profile coach built, 7mtrs ish.

What Layout preferences......beds?

Have heard of rumours of VAT increase to 25%. Due to a shortfall in tax revenue...Well HELLO! They have put so many out of work that hardly surprising......banks we have paid a fortune to bail out, not lending so no green shoots of recovery! I mean I ask you, we would be better of with a German chancellor! *-)

But a number of German motorhome manufacturers are now owned by the French and some of their motorhomes are brand engineered models built in France and Italy.

Eura Mobil and Karmann are owned by Trigano, Frankia and Westfalia are owned by Pilote.

Perhaps you would rather have Francois Hollande in charge?

Even La Strada have the bodies for their up-market models built in England!

Guest JudgeMental

How the Germans have managed to revitalise the east and drag it into the present, a staggering achievement that would have bankrupted anyone else.

Euramobil part of large group for sure, but built in Germany, and yes France/italy has comparable quality, I was not saying otherwise. But while these multinational tax avoidance operations carry on unhindered and our government continue to concentrate on hammering the hard working, poor ,disabled , young, students etc. ..and disspossed, is a disgrace .

Heavens....clueless bunch of eaton rich boys at the tiller..where are we heading?

Our of interest. I thought La Strada build exclusivily on Merc, Fiat and Renault panel vans.? What UK vehicle are they using?

Anyway I recommended the vans I know about......feel free to do likewise

Guest JudgeMental
ips - 2012-11-28 3:35 PM

shove a thick carpet down instead :-D

It is very nice though.....van we had before last one did not have double floor, but. had ALDE wet water central heating, and the additional underfloor or should be in floor i guess ALDE wet water floor system as well, like you see used in modern houses.....floor space was tiny but really nice in minus 25 deg C :-D

Judge

So were talking under floor heating here. ooh sounds lovely for winter breaks.

My blown air at the rear of van was doing nothing last weekend whilst visiting mini ips in windsor after a bit of investigation I found the blown air pipe had detached from a fitting which transported said hot air to 3 of the rear outlets luckily it was easy to get to and repair, my point is under floor must be way better than blown air and prob more reliable and efficient. I want one now :-D

Guest JudgeMental

It is lovely but as we hardly go away in winter it's an expensive extra...so maybe like you say carpet plus bed socks!lol

You need to experiment with opening vents on Truma to get the heating balanced and to where you want it..but to be honest you still end up with a hot head and cold feet.

Ha Yeh i know what you mean socks are required. We leave a small oil filled heater on when on hook up but really need blown air this time of year. Your right about vents too as you say you have to mess about to balance em. Think next time were away i Will chuck the fan heater in i hate being cold.

Eddie

I agree with everything you say about clueless rich boys, tax avoidance, etc, and I suspect that the country would be better off if it was run by Angela Merkel.

My point is that it's dangerous to assume that German is better. If a "German" Karmann Davis is made in the same Italian factory as an "English" Trigano Tribute (I'm not absolutely sure about this but I'm pretty certain that they are both made in Italy) then the quality is likely to be the same. You may well consider that neither would meet your exacting requirements.

Likewise, German manufacturers are not imune from financial problems - witness Knauss, Westfalia, and Karmann (and possibly Eura Mobil?).

My car is a Mercedes but was built in South Africa and is probably not up to the same quality as the German manufactured cars.

Now, if I was going to buy a coachbuilt then I would look longingly at a Carthago c-tourer: excellent German quality but not now built in Germany - they've just opened a new factory in Slovenia. In fact I might be tempted to go the whole hog and get the A Class version with a lightweight Alko chassis.

I must admit I was being a bit sneaky when I said La Strada bodies are built in England - the glass fibre monocoque of the Nova is built by the firm that used to build the monocoque bodies for Auto-Sleeper.

Peter

Guest JudgeMental

Ha ha ha..agree near enough totally, many manufacturers build different class vans, my euramobil profila was a new budget line and had a fair few issues. does not mean I would not have a euramobil terrestra which I really coveted, bur could not afford, same company but in a different class...Its the quality of product and management that matters..not so much where its built.

we get these arguments all the time on my e bike forum. where German designed bikes are built in factory's in China...it really dont matter where it is built (unfortunate for sure for our workers) as long as R&D and quality control, managed to exacting European standards...Same cant be said for cheap Chinese e bikes that are flooding our markets

Karmann always looked pretty good to my mind,and if built in same factory as a cheaper range I would think they would be on different production lines perhaps? I dont know anything about the Tribute. Possl build the Concorde compact panel vans...so if badge concious, and after something exclusive how about coming over to the light side? :D

We currently have a French bed layout which keeps the van length down and works well for us. Tho would be happy with transverse or island or even singles (with capability for joining) provided reasonable lounging room if spending more time there.

More vans now have Alde heating tho not with double floor.....

Lots of good ideas, may go for recent a class (hymer, rapido, frankia, pilote etc) or new CB with DF.

Thanks again all.

Guest JudgeMental
Colin Leake - 2012-11-28 7:02 PM

We have a rear traverse bed over a garage in which is located the Truma Combi heater. Under bed heating keeps us lovely and snug at night!

One of the post popular and practical layouts, as it means big roomy bed, big roomy bathroom and big roomy garage...BUT! some do not like climbing over their partners to get out of bed.....

French bed OK but tend to be narrower in most cases...have a smallish bathroom squeezed in next to it in back corner (not all) you have good storage, but not as practical as a garage

twin single beds with smaller garage underneath, a nice layout but vans tend to be longer.

was going to go for twin singles..but after a lot of thought opted to what we were used to and stuck with same layout as Colin .....not perfect but its all about making the right compromises that suit your needs...

Colin Leake - 2012-11-28 7:02 PM

We have a rear traverse bed over a garage in which is located the Truma Combi heater. Under bed heating keeps us lovely and snug at night!

Hi all; we've just come back from NORTHUMBERLANDIA after a week long trip in cold conditions, and I have been regretting not specifying a substantially insulated floor; to the extent that I'm considering having a removeable insulated floor for winter use. I think it could be more effective than rugs. I think it will be worth the experiment.

We use a Propex blown air system to get us up to a cosy temp, and leave an oil filled electric rad on overnight. Crucial tho' are the Silverscreens! and Remis blinds.

Stay warm

alan b

Guest JudgeMental
ips - 2012-11-28 4:54 PM

Ha Yeh i know what you mean socks are required. We leave a small oil filled heater on when on hook up but really need blown air this time of year. Your right about vents too as you say you have to mess about to balance em. Think next time were away i Will chuck the fan heater in i hate being cold.

In winter I would leave the Truma heating on overnight, it's what it's for?lol but if seriously into 4 season camping, a fully winterised EN certified van the way to go....

No point in being uncomfortable...... :-D

Judge

To be honest we dont do much winter hols these days apart from our monthly trip to see mini ips so for one weekend per month (ish) just have to hope the batterys last long enough to run the eberspatcher and keep socks on and keep drinking scotch. :-D

Archived