Estepona to Calpe as destination for Jan-Mar?

snowie

I've doubted our ability to overwinter in our PVC, because of lack of space to move around, and the short days, and I'm still not sure, but we're doing some sums and asking some questions, and I think it's just a case of deciding to go ahead!

Campsite La Bella Vista at Manilva (mentioned in an earlier thread) has responded very favourably, and Calpe was also recommended in an earlier thread.

So the plan for 5-6 weeks minimum...............

Ferry to Santander, drive to Seville/Malaga and stay at 2 maybe 3 sites on the coast between Estepona and Alicante then drive home could be feasible. Weather for the homeward drive could be unpleasant in February/March?

If you have any experience of these places at this time of year we'd love to pick your brains!

regards

alan b

Guest JudgeMental
We were in Benidorm last Easter until May and it was great...If we go again this year we will buy a strong cotton awning (probably used). We managed fine without one, but the winds can get strong on the coast,.but some outside enclosed living space makes sense, everyone has massive awnings........ Weather was great it only rained lightly on 2 occasions...T shirt and shorts weather for whole stay....cant wait to get back and see my new mate Syd! :-D

Cannot wait to meet up again, enjoyed our last meet.

May fly out just after New Year for three or four weeks but will be there again come March til June.

Looking forward to chatting up that beautiful young bird you had staying with you

Guest JudgeMental
Syd - 2012-11-30 12:00 AM

Cannot wait to meet up again, enjoyed our last meet.

May fly out just after New Year for three or four weeks but will be there again come March til June.

Looking forward to chatting up that beautiful young bird you had staying with you

Shhhhhhush! Mrs M looks in from time as she is formulating a list of wrongdoers.......heaven knows what she will do with it! *-)

Love to all Syd and have a great Christmas , India for us but will try and get out in March.....

I know Calpe well as we had a bungalow there for 12 years. It is a nice place but like so many it does tend to be dead in the winter and can be rather windy as it is not as well sheltered as Benidorm. We were taught to play petanque by a Belgian group there and played every afternoon which helps to pass the time. The mayor even built us some pitches on the front near the Esmeralda hotel, as our bit of waste ground was being developed.

We are quite comfortable with our pvc in the winter in Spain and I would not worry too much about the shorter days as it is after 6 pm when it starts to go dark. We tend to go out to eat in the evening anyway as it is so cheap. If you go to Calpe there is a Chinese restaurant which must be near the new campsite and their menu with wine is very good value.

I believe that the Calpe Mar site gets full in winter (From past posts) and is not that big,so you would be advised to book in advance. The town of Calpe is not just a tourist place, it.s what I would call a working town, Offices etc. I have not been in winter, as we go April/May time. Would think there would be a lot open all year round. We love it, as every thing is within walking distance, and buses to other places.

PJay

PS Calpe Mar in ACSI Book,. Metered Electric

PJay

I know the Calpe Mar site very well indeed, as we live not far away, and I play there now and then, in fact I did a gig there last Thursday evening and am back there again on 20th Dcember.

It is always very busy throughout the winter period, as many people come back there year after to spend maybe 3 or 4 months there through the October/November to Spring period.

I would strongly advise ringing ahead to book a pitch if you're thinking of using the site in that period...Reception staff Yvonne and Nurya both speak English, as does Neme, the Site manager.

Their website:

http://www.campingcalpemar.com/en/inicio_camping_calpemar.html

They have just bought a smallish plot of land that backs onto the site in order to expand it, but it'll take I guess another 3 or 4 months at least to get the extension ready, and in any event it may only add perhaps 10(?) more pitches

Having tried most of the offerings in Calpe over the years, the best "cheap Chinky" restaurant in Calpe is, in our opinion, definitely the "Pato Laqueado" ( "lacquered duck")

It's on the right hand side of the dry river bed at the bottom end of Calpe town, as you head towards the main shopping street and beach. Red fronted restaurant.

It's only about 300 metres staggering distance from there back to the Calpe Mar campsite.

As well as the usual massive A la Carte section of the menu, look at the back pages of the menu book, and there are about 20 different "menu del dia" options of 3 course menus.

With each you get prawn crackers on arrival, a starter (eg spring roll or salad or soup); then a main ( eg chicken and mushrooms, beef and veg, sizzling beef, etc etc), plus boiled rice, or fried rice, or noddles; then a pudding ( eg ice cream, or flan etc, or coffee); and then shots of liqueur...and they leave the bottle on the table so you can top up as often as you want.

Oh yes, and half a bottle of white, or rose, or red wine per person too.

ALL for maybe 5 or 6 euros (4 or 5 quid) depending on your choice of main course!

And despite the rock bottom prices, the food quality and service really are very good.

A couple of times in the last month alone we've driven down to Calpe from home (about half an hour) in the motorhome, parked up overnight in one of the side roads near to Calpe Mar ( which quite a lot of wild-campers do for days or longer at a time), and met up with friends who are over-wintering at the site, to go to one or other van for pre-dinner drinkies; then walk over to have a cheap chinky, before sleeping over in the van and then coming back the next morning.

Good stuff.

:-D

Guest pelmetman
BGD - 2012-12-01 2:16 PM

They have just bought a smallish plot of land that backs onto the site in order to expand it, but it'll take I guess another 3 or 4 months at least to get the extension ready, and in any event it may only add perhaps 10(?) more pitches

We wondered if they would buy that plot ;-)..........I'd of thought they'd get more than 10 pitches on there if its the one next to the block of flats?..... I hope they put in another ablutions block as well :-S

Thanks for the tip on the Chinese Bruce, we'll give the "knackered Duck" a go B-)....

I know the Calpe Mar site very well indeed,

You certainly do Bruce, and thanks for sharing that knowledge. Ditto James, P Jay and Mike.

If my bones feel the cold this much so early in the winter then the decision is all but made! We have a few "issues" to sort out over Xmas and maybe most of January, but that gives us time to make some plans,

thanks again

alan b

pelmetman - 2012-12-01 3:46 PM

We wondered if they would buy that plot ;-)..........I'd of thought they'd get more than 10 pitches on there if its the one next to the block of flats?..... I hope they put in another ablutions block as well :-S

Thanks for the tip on the Chinese Bruce, we'll give the "knackered Duck" a go B-)....

Dave -

No, it ain't the big empty plot next to the block of flats that they've bought, it's a much smaller plot.........the little oblong one next to that big one.

The big plot is still for sale; I can only assume that the seller wants too much money.

And a MASSIVE thank you from us both for the favour you are doing for Kathy - you guys are stars!

Hi Snowie, at Calpe just aweek ago, consider the odissea camper park, they own one in denia as well, the guys are multi lingual, possible to book ahead and discounts from the standard 12 euro, from 4 days onwards, toilet, shower 6 amp electric and well situated, walking distance to 4 supermarkets in 10 mins seafront in 18 mins

a good place to be in our opinion

snail

Get a drive-away awning for extra space. Because of the time difference, and extra hours of daylight coz its further south, you won't feel the days are short. Would not recommend the South coast. Cramped sites set up for the summer months to extract maximum from the punter. East coast sites far better and the weather generally better, particularly around Murcia, Europe's only desert. Never had a problem going home to UK in either early or mid March and that's involved travelling through central Spain. If the forecasts are bad just stick to the coast.

Enjoy your trip, T

snail - 2012-12-01 9:13 PM

Hi Snowie, at Calpe just aweek ago, consider the odissea camper park, they own one in denia as well, the guys are multi lingual, possible to book ahead and discounts from the standard 12 euro, from 4 days onwards, toilet, shower 6 amp electric and well situated, walking distance to 4 supermarkets in 10 mins seafront in 18 mins

a good place to be in our opinion

snail

Here's the Odissea website for those that may want further details.

For those who've not been there, it's a gravelled MH stopover site, terraced on two levels, a little further out of Calpe town (but only by maybe 500 metres) than the Calpe Mar campsite.

I'd call it an "aire" rather than a fullblown campsite.....the parking spaces are tight to each other and there's just the one little building in the middle with washing etc facilities; but certainly all the basic facilities are there, it's modern and clean and secure, and it's value-for money for a coastal Med site.

Like Calpe Mar campsite, the Odissea "Aire" does get pretty busy through the winter, so best to ring ahead to make a booking.

http://www.odisseacamperarea.com/ANGLES/odissea_calpe.html

Archived