Worlds ugliest car nominations.

George Collings

I'll hear nothing bad against the 2CV! I've had 4 of them and I've still got one.... "Doris"

Doris & I and a co-driver went Calais Colmar, Menaggio, Nice, then return in 2010 with no problems.

The design brief was:- to transport a dozen eggs on the passenger seat across a ploughed field with the farmer driving in his hat! - and it worked!

Fantastic cars, independant suspension, comfortable, economical, cheap to service & to run & insure .... and they look fantastic!!

LaimeDucksSteadysmall.jpg.c822e8fe52081cb64fe89a09101cb5ab.jpg

If fitness for purpose is considered the 2CV is beautifull,

Take this van version for example. It ought to be listed as an ancient monument. see pic

Along with its big brother the H van drawing inspiration from a nissen hut crossed with a time expired packing case.

The original Renault Master came a close second.

The original Daf car in the late 60s was the Daffodil. Flat twin engine and infinietly variable transmision by twin V belts running on pulleys. The two sides of the pulley were moved to and fro to vary the diameter the belts ran on, The movement was controlled by centrifugal weights and a manifold vacuum operated diaphragm inside the pulley. Just to add to the complication drive to the pulleys was via a centrifugal clutch from the engine to a bevel box driving a pair of pulleys driving the V belts.

I drove a Daffodil it was to say the least slow but not really ugly.

The system was last used in the small Volvo built in the old DAF works in Holland. My father had one of these. Even falling to pieces with only one belt left and the centrifugal weights shot it still dragged the car along. I threw the unit out and replaced it with the alternative synchromesh gearbox and Dad thought I was a magician as the fuel consumption dropped to about a quarter of what it had become.

1720826933_2CVVan.thumb.jpg.85838965a1c45b9e80662ba0f6d000de.jpg

Guest pelmetman
I had a DAF once :$.................although I never drove it, I used it as a shed when we lived on a boat, it was parked in Camper & Nicholsons car park in Gosport, :D....................I was told to remove it eventually *-).............I thought it looked quite cool amongst all the posh motors >:-)

George Collings - 2012-12-04 10:04 PM

The twin cam MGA at Le Mans -must have ben about 1963. Retirement due to spark plug problems if I remember correctly.

That was in 1959 I think as they didn't finish that year. The year I went with them whilst on leave from the RAF was 1960. The car was driven by Ted Lund and Colin Escott and finished 12th overall winning it's class. It was a private entry by the North West branch of the MG car club but the mechanic came from the works, although I remember him saying that he had to take some of his holiday, as they wouldn't give him time off.

Archived