Gas filler for Mel

maggyd

Airstream - 2012-12-03 5:14 PM

By employing them,

This is the important bit, there is no law I'm aware of that stipulates that you cannot work on your own gas appliances. But as eddie has posted you will most likely get short shift from your insurance company if you get problems with your instalation.

lennyhb - 2012-12-03 4:30 PM

That link is the recommendations of the GasSafeRegister it is not the law, the law clearly states that a competent person may carry out work on gas appliances.

If you have not passed a "core gas safety" and a "central heating boilers" ACS assessment in the last five years you are not deemed competent to install a gas boiler. You also will not have the relevant insurance to do this work and you will render your house insurance void.

Lots of people DIY lots of things. Unfortunately, things do go wrong, people and property do get damaged and insurers do not pay out. When you blow the side of your neighbours house off and injure/kill them, or poison someone with CO, you will need a good barrister.

There was a case recently of someone being sent to prison for manslaughter (?) as he caused a gas explosion in his home which unfortunately killed a 2 year old boy next door ....

http://news.sky.com/story/1017642/gas-blast-man-admits-two-year-olds-killing

In this case he had deliberately let his home fill with gas, however, someone who thinks they are competent to install a boiler in a house without official training IMV is a fool for putting their own and other people's lives at risk. :-|

Whilst I am happy to install a refillable gas bottle system in my campers, which is no more difficult than connecting up a Calor bottle which lots of us do, I would NEVER EVER touch the gas system in my house as that is a different and much more lethal beast altogether!

WildBill - 2012-12-04 12:10 AM

That link is the recommendations of the GasSafeRegister it is not the law, the law clearly states that a competent person may carry out work on gas appliances.

If you have not passed a "core gas safety" and a "central heating boilers" ACS assessment in the last five years you are not deemed competent to install a gas boiler. You also will not have the relevant insurance to do this work and you will render your house insurance void.

Lots of people DIY lots of things. Unfortunately, things do go wrong, people and property do get damaged and insurers do not pay out. When you blow the side of your neighbours house off and injure/kill them, or poison someone with CO, you will need a good barrister.

Source reference please Bill , for your astonishing assertion that being a competent DIY'er and working on your gas system in your own house will somehow render your house insurance void.

Mel B - 2012-12-03 11:34 PM

There was a case recently of someone being sent to prison for manslaughter (?) as he caused a gas explosion in his home which unfortunately killed a 2 year old boy next door ....

http://news.sky.com/story/1017642/gas-blast-man-admits-two-year-olds-killing

In this case he had deliberately let his home fill with gas, however, someone who thinks they are competent to install a boiler in a house without official training IMV is a fool for putting their own and other people's lives at risk. :-|

Whilst I am happy to install a refillable gas bottle system in my campers, which is no more difficult than connecting up a Calor bottle which lots of us do, I would NEVER EVER touch the gas system in my house as that is a different and much more lethal beast altogether!

Steady on gentle folk! There is a wealth of difference between fitting a boiler, or even running in the gas supply pipe, and commissioning it. It is perfectly possible, as I did, to fit a whole heating system, and fill and test it cold, including installing the gas pipes, so long as you don't actually connect to the gas supply and turn on the gas. You then just need a certified person to check it, connect the gas, check the gas installation for leaks, and commission the boiler. Some won't touch other people's work, some will, it is their prerogative.

Same goes for electrics. Then you get it installed exactly as you want it, and professionally checked and certified before it is put to use.

Likewise Brian, I have always done all my own gas & electrical work without a problem.

Recently my daughter when staying at house thought she smelt gas & insisted I call the leak report line.

Guy came out within the hour and declared everything save, he asked do you do your our gas work I was honest and said yes his comment was "a jolly site better work than I have seen by professionals".

BGD - 2012-12-04 12:15 AM

WildBill - 2012-12-04 12:10 AM

Source reference please Bill , for your astonishing assertion that being a competent DIY'er and working on your gas system in your own house will somehow render your house insurance void.

Nothing astonishing, just common sense. Phone the insurance company and tel them that you have just fitted your own gas boiler and see what happens. The following web page gives guidance.

http://www.money.co.uk/article/1003604-diy-enthusiasts-should-check-home-insurance.htm

Occasionally I do work for insurance companies carrying out inspections, sometimes meeting loss adjusters etc.

If the home owner has done DIY gas work he will not have any certification unless he has employed a registered gas installer, (competent person), to check it and certify it.

Archived