RACLETTE GRILL

PJay

I am sure this subject has been aired before, but did a search , and nothing came up.

So I have just purchased one of these,, at Lidl, Monday special, but still on offer to-day.!£16.99

Looks good, and hopefully will be good for use in/outside van.Not being a particularly adventurous cook, wondered if any one who has one (I am sure there were a few who said they had one) has any menu ideas ?/ We like prawns , which is one of the reasons for buying, as don't like to cook in the van (Smelly)

What do you use the little shovel like pans for?

Look forward to ideas, please

PJay

Um...? stating the obvious ... A Raclette grill is for melting Raclette cheese ..... not as far as I am aware prawns! The shovels are for catching the melted cheese, not prawns! *-) *-)

Although I am sure someone will come up with a recipe for something other than cheese??

laimeduck - 2012-12-04 3:44 PM

Um...? stating the obvious ... A Raclette grill is for melting Raclette cheese ..... not as far as I am aware prawns! The shovels are for catching the melted cheese, not prawns! *-) *-)

Although I am sure someone will come up with a recipe for something other than cheese??

Jeremy

The one I have bought has a GRILL pan on top and the shovels go underneath. The picture shows the pans with bits in and cheese over them . The top plate does have meat /chicken /fish AND Prawns grilling on top.

I am going to try the top plate to-night with some pork chops on. Showing my ignorance, I did not know that RACLETTE was a cheese!

Looks like we will just be using it as agrill, and probably not use the pans.

PJay ..... Ahh..... I stand corrected. Apologies.

There is a U-tube video showing you how to use it ! It's in German, but it is pretty staightforward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZsFstPmmdA

The Raclettes I have had in the Alps are basically an electric fire with a half wheel of Raclette cheese clamped cut side close to it. When the cheese begins to melt, it is scraped off with wooden spatulas into the little shovels and eaten with boiled potatos and lots of white wine. Very tasty & of course very healthy :$ :$

(Racler in French means "to scrape" hence the name.)

The grill you have is much more useful & will indeed cook prawns!

The French also use hot stones at the table with a selection of meats & vegetables that you cook yourself on the "Pierre Chaud" so the recipe outlook is huge!

WildBill - 2012-12-06 9:30 PM

Thank you the pair of you. These posts had me and my other half in stitches.

Brilliant....... :-D (lol) :-D (lol) :-D (lol)

Bill

Not sure why you found it funny ;.

Jamie

Thanks for the video, That is the exact model we bought. Tried it out with some chops, and they did taste better than if i put them UNDER the cooker grill. Will be very useful in the MH, as would be able to cook things like Welsh Rabbit , Bread on top and cheese etc under, as well as my PRAWNS, meat, bacon etc. No frying or saucepans to wash, just the plate and shovels

PJay

We have had a Raclette grill for about 15years, yes use the top for cooking thin meats. The pans that go under the grill are used for melting the cheese, raclette or any other mature cheese (Lidl have Raclette cheese quite regular throughout the year) cook small raclette potatoes (not readily available in the uk) use charlotte or salad potatoes when the cheese is melted pour over the potatoes, eat with the gilled meat and conchichons and silver skin onions, preferably with a good Swiss white wine.

Best used with a group of good friends.

David Dwight - 2012-12-07 10:19 PM

We have had a Raclette grill for about 15years, yes use the top for cooking thin meats. The pans that go under the grill are used for melting the cheese, raclette or any other mature cheese (Lidl have Raclette cheese quite regular throughout the year) cook small raclette potatoes (not readily available in the uk) use charlotte or salad potatoes when the cheese is melted pour over the potatoes, eat with the gilled meat and conchichons and silver skin onions, preferably with a good Swiss white wine.

Best used with a group of good friends.

Totally agree.

We really like raclette evenings here.

It's a brilliant, and informal, way to eat together round a table with friends....you provide the raw meat, prawns and veg, and raclette cheese slices, and then all cook their own chosen bits on/under the raclette grill, whilst chatting and imbibing copious amounts of wine.

On the terrace outdoors in summer, or round the dinner table indoors in the winter; a really great social evening either way. :-D

Archived